2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

pics of rear bumper aplique on TF

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM
pics of rear bumper aplique on TF

Sorry if someone already posted this, but thought I'd post these in case anyone was considering the rear bumper thingy.

I'm not sure I like the way it looks, yet. However, I payed $40+ for it so I'm not about to remove it! Maybe it'd look better on a different color car...

Pretty easy install. Just make sure your sticker is facing the correct way.

The instructions say to install in 60 degree+ temps. It was a little above 50 today... We'll see if it stays on!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
Meh...I will just be excessively careful when loading things and cry when I first scratch it.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
i like the concept of protecting the rear bumper when loading the vehicle. I'm not quite sure if I like how honda went with black. I would of went with the clear ppf. Oh well, it does what its suppose to.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I like the black - especially on a white vehicle because it adds a really classy looking contrast in colors - at least in my opinion :-) The only thing I would prefer is if Honda had made it a different texture. My brother has a Toyota Yaris with their black bumper protector and it's got a really cool looking honeycomb texture.

Here's a pic of the toyota one on the Yaris (I wish Honda had done something like this):

Old 12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by SeattleRain
I like the black - especially on a white vehicle because it adds a really classy looking contrast in colors - at least in my opinion :-) The only thing I would prefer is if Honda had made it a different texture. My brother has a Toyota Yaris with their black bumper protector and it's got a really cool looking honeycomb texture.

Here's a pic of the toyota one on the Yaris (I wish Honda had done something like this):
I agree with you- the Toyota applique looks a lot more heavy duty than the Honda black tape.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
these stay on using adhesives right? cant you just get the yaris one and stick it on the back of your fit?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned
Certainly, and there are even better bumper protectors than the one on the Yaris. Why can't Honda provide a GOOD one for the $40.00 price tag? $40.00 for tape?

Old 12-03-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
in general most OEM accessories are overpriced and low quality. That baseball like leather shift knob is certainly not worth the money along with those so called 'sport pedals' and the ambient light. I am however satisfied with the fit and finish of the all-season mats. Just didn't want to deal with aftermarket mats that didn't quite fit properly or required custom trimming.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by panda1314
these stay on using adhesives right? cant you just get the yaris one and stick it on the back of your fit?

I'm pretty sure you could considering the length
and width are close.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by panda1314
The OEM Fit one is contoured for an exact fit (obviously...) If anyone decides to go with one designed for another vehicle (such as the one for the Yaris), I'd recommend doing some research. For example, if the contour of the bumper doesn't closely match that of the Fit, you might have to do some cutting of the adhesive.

And no, the one for the Fit is not very rugged. I just got it because the top of my bumper got all scratched up on my old Accord when people were loading/unloading heavy luggage. I think it'll keep that from happening.

Originally Posted by niko3257
I'm pretty sure you could considering the length
and width are close.
Even if the length and width are the same, if the angle of the bumper isn't pretty close to that of the Fit, I think it might cause some trouble... I could be wrong...

Last edited by pizzicato; 12-03-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
The Yaris sticker doesn't cover the edge, so it's kind of useles. I have seen the Prius one in person and although i don't know if it would fit the contour of hte Fit it looked really nice and covers the edge too. it also costs less - about 36 bucks on the web.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Here's a shot of it on my BP:

Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
not so much, Ill just throw a towel over the bumper when I need to load/unload something.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM
To me this is a functionality thing. We have this (although it's a hard plastic) on our Odyssey it saves me all the time from killing my bumper. Maybe not the most attractive option, but it serves it's purpose.

A towel will protect against soft rubs, but probably won't help with something heavy or sharp (lumber/table/metal/desk) that happens to scrape even by accident . It also means I'd always have to carry a towel just in case I needed to throw something in.

I'll be using my car for all sorts of stuff, so for me this is one of my must have options.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:14 PM
It's OK for minor bumps and loading, but it's pretty thin. It's not as durable as the plastic bumper guard on our Sienna. If you're going to be doing any heavy loading, the bumper will need better protection.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks, I'm waiting for my Fit, haven't seen the cover. Disappointed to hear it's so thin...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
It may be thin, but that stuff is sturdy. It won't protect against a sharp and heavy blow but it will definitely protect against most scratches and scrapes you're likely to encounter on the rear bumper. It's a quality 3M film.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like the zeta rear applique should be more sturdy/durable, since it's Stainless Steel...

Now, just gotta wait till it's available for the 09's.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:39 PM
MAD
Honda should have designed it to be wider, as in going from as far back on the bumper as possible then curving down to follow the lines of the bumper. Still some area in there that could easily get scratched and its just going to be a bitch to buff out those areas with such small space between the hatch and the protector.

Just a thought.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FitStir
Looks like the zeta rear applique should be more sturdy/durable, since it's Stainless Steel...

Now, just gotta wait till it's available for the 09's.
Angelo at Zeta has been bugging his subcontractor to get some samples of the '09 version shipped in for inspection & photos. I am also waiting for this to come out before I make a decision on any other type of bumper protection. I will not be buying a mere strip of tape for $40.00 though. I had the Honda tape on my '07 and felt cheated. Won't have it on my '09.

Quick Reply: pics of rear bumper aplique on TF