2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Cheap and Effective Sun Visor Solution

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Cheap and Effective Sun Visor Solution

UPDATE: Just informed by another poster that they ordered the same visor (same p/n) and got a crappy thing held on with suction cups. I sent an email to Miles Kimball asking if there is a different p/n for the visor I received (shows on my invoice as a 303140), I'll update when I get a reply.

UPDATE #2: OK, figured it out myself. They sent me the wrong visor, which turned out to be the right visor for the Fit. The one I received is actually p/n 310599, a "no glare extender". Pic is shown below:

Sorry if anyone ordered the wrong part. I've updated the info below with the correct p/n.

Here in AZ, that giant gap between the visors makes driving on E/W roads a pain in the morning and evening. Someone suggested going to Miles Kimball and looking at what they had. I ordered this visor, $5.49, just got it yesterday. The clips slide right under the edge of the molded headliner in the car, it looks like a custom fit.

Flipped down

Flipped up

Side view, showing how clips go under the headliner (and yes, that's my 914 back there...)

We had our first rainy day in ages, so it wasn't much of an issue driving to work today, but it looks like it's going to work perfectly. You can also easily slide it a cm or so nearer to the driver to eliminate any gap to the driver's visor.

Last edited by pbanders; 12-05-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Even though the pics are a little dark that looks like a perfect solution, and quite affordable.

Nice find.. gotta tag this. +reps.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Taken with my cheap phone cam in my garage, sorry for the quality, but you get the idea.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Banned
Nice, cheap solution! I went another way- one of the eBay vendors of pre-cut window tint products sells a 10" wide X 6 ft. long strip of either light or dark (your choice- I ordered dark) smoke tint for the upper edge of the windshield. $7.00 and free shipping. I'm going to try that- worst that could happen is I screw up the application- there is probably enough to do it twice if necessary. It should arrive in the mail today. If I don't screw it up, will post photos whenever I get it done.

According to the eBay ad, tint shops charge $30.00 for the "sunscreen windshield tint".

Old 11-26-2008, 05:22 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
good idea pbanders

Originally Posted by manxman
Nice, cheap solution! I went another way- one of the eBay vendors of pre-cut window tint products sells a 10" wide X 6 ft. long strip of either light or dark (your choice- I ordered dark) smoke tint for the upper edge of the windshield. $7.00 and free shipping. I'm going to try that- worst that could happen is I screw up the application- there is probably enough to do it twice if necessary. It should arrive in the mail today. If I don't screw it up, will post photos whenever I get it done.

According to the eBay ad, tint shops charge $30.00 for the "sunscreen windshield tint".
i also went with tint. i had mine done with the rest of the car.
$175 OTD

Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 PM
That's a great idea. I'm havin the same problem with the late afternoon drive home (also in AZ). I wish I would have spent more time doing my normal drive before I had my tint done because I would have had them throw in the strip.

It's sad that the span is SO big that even with that addon I still see gaps on either side. Is it enough to really block out the sunlight or is it just better?

+rep

Old 11-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by shuppie
That's a great idea. I'm havin the same problem with the late afternoon drive home (also in AZ). I wish I would have spent more time doing my normal drive before I had my tint done because I would have had them throw in the strip.

It's sad that the span is SO big that even with that addon I still see gaps on either side. Is it enough to really block out the sunlight or is it just better?

+rep
As I said, the eBay tint strip was certainly cheap enough. If the installation is not too bad and my first attempt looks decent, I will post photos. I sold my pickup to buy my Fit when gas started to get outrageous in late '06. The truck had a tint strip applied to the windshield, and it worked extremely well.

There are exterior-applied banners being sold for the visor idea, but you can't see traffic lights through solid vinyl exterior banners, and I'm thinking that they would also eventually get screwed up by the windshield wipers.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
nice!!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:55 PM
The description on the link provided says it attaches by suction cups to the windshield. Is that the right one, or does it just happen to work without the suction cups on the Fit?

Old 11-26-2008, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
Looking at this thread gives me an idea.

I'm 6'2" and the mirror is too low and blocks my view of cars at intersections (right side). I have to duck down to see that way. Wouldn't it be even better if the rear view mirror was moved up into that space? Or even a larger mirror put there? It would solve my problem and also act as a sunshade.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by shuppie

+rep
The gaps are smaller than they look in the pic, because you're at an angle when in the driver's seat. You can easily move it to block any small gap that's letting the sun through.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by txmatt
The description on the link provided says it attaches by suction cups to the windshield. Is that the right one, or does it just happen to work without the suction cups on the Fit?
Mine came with clips, no suction cups. At first, I didn't think it'd work, but when I saw the edge of the headliner had an open gap, I said, "hey...."

Old 11-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by indypain
perfect...thanks so much for sharing this info...the gap between visors has been my BIGGEST complaint with the Fit and have been looking for solution!

PS- love the hanging tennis ball...I did the exact same thing in my garage since after owning an Acura TL for 6 years I was never sure how far I needed/ wanted to pull my Fit in...I now have plenty of room to walk around the car, where with the Acura I had little room!
The tennis ball is positioned for our Sienna. If I pull the Fit up to where it hits the windshield, there's such a big gap behind it, that I could probably park a Smart ForTwo there!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pbanders
The tennis ball is positioned for our Sienna. If I pull the Fit up to where it hits the windshield, there's such a big gap behind it, that I could probably park a Smart ForTwo there!
I use a Whiffle Ball as a parking stop.

The holes are SOOO convenient for tying the string. If you make the string long, you can use a paper clamp to adjust the length for any car.

PS I bought a strip of static-cling tint from WalMart for only 4 bucks (figured I might have to peel it off someday because ANY windshield tint is illegal in NJ). It's not that dark but I have plenty leftover to double it up if I want.

My boss has helped me too, made me work past sundown many days...

Last edited by Carbuff2; 11-27-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I use a Whiffle Ball as a parking stop.

The holes are SOOO convenient for tying the string. If you make the string long, you can use a paper clamp to adjust the length for any car.

PS I bought a strip of static-cling tint from WalMart for only 4 bucks (figured I might have to peel it off someday because ANY windshield tint is illegal in NJ). It's not that dark but I have plenty leftover to double it up if I want.

My boss has helped me too, made me work past sundown many days...
The static cling stuff sounds great. Now my $7.00 roll of (I assume water activated adhesive cling) tint sounds like a PITA. Oh well, if i screw that up, I'll get the static version. Thanks!

Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Retired Moderator
Not a bad idea...

Old 11-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Improvement on the tennis ball-

Not meaning to hijack, but I use a dangling cork fishing float with a flat filed on one side.
When I need to clean the windshield, I can park the ball on the roof, and it won't roll off and get in the way....
Moon

Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 AM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip
Not meaning to hijack, but I use a dangling cork fishing float with a flat filed on one side.
When I need to clean the windshield, I can park the ball on the roof, and it won't roll off and get in the way....
Moon

pics please

Old 11-30-2008, 05:28 PM
Boys , start a new thread if you want to discuss
parking toys .

Old 12-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Just so people know, I ordered the visor from the link above, item no. 303140, and the one that came was the one pictured on the web page with suction cups. Pretty cheesy three pieces of plastic, two bigger flaps attached by rivets to another plastic piece and the two suction cups. There's no way this one can be mounted under the headliner trim and it doesn't flip up out of the way, either.

Quick Reply: Cheap and Effective Sun Visor Solution