2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GPS Mounting Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
I just mount my Nuvi 200 on the left side of the windshield. No problems.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by CBX
Are you a member on the Zumo forum?
ZumoForums
You'll find me on there as...er.. CBX.

Where is Imperial?

The Zumo 550 is an excellent unit. You probably wouldn't have it unless you also ride a bike, though. I sold a 550 a few months back, after waffling between the Zumo and a StreetPilot 2730 for the bikes.

In the end, I installed a mount for the StreetPilot 7200 on the ST1100. I just need to pack it away on the rainy day.

Can you post pictures of your install?
CBX - Yeah, I'm a member of that forum as well, but don't go there too often anymore.

Imperial is near Pittsburgh, about 6 miles from the Pgh Intl. Airport.

If you mean pictures of where the zumo is mounted in the Fit... OK, sometime before the end of the week.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM
I am looking for a gps for my bike and the 09 at sport fit. Would you get the 7200 again? Looks good from the specs. On the bike it is big enough to see easily and will work with the radio in the car and in my helmet...Thanks THUNDER

Old 10-26-2008, 01:27 AM
CBX
Right now, the SP7200 is my favorite, and would certainly buy one again.

I also have a SP2730, and had a Zumo 550, which I recently sold.

Keep in mind the SP7200 is not rated waterproof, which the other two I mentioned are. Rain is not frequent around here, so it's not a problem to pull over and stash the SP7200 in a tank bag or other luggaage.

I like some of the advanced features of the StreetPilots, which the Zumo lacks.

I prefer the SP7200 over the SP2730 (or 2820) not only for the 7' display, but also for the SD card slot. I sometimes load extra map types (such as Topo) on a card, but mainly keep mp3 music files on SD cards. My 2730 can play mp3s stored on internal memory, but only about 1GB, and loading files is extremely slow.

Perhaps tomorrow I can post a photo of the SP7200 mounted on a bike.

Last edited by CBX; 02-08-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Radio shack has a fused 12v DC Car power accessory Outlet with cover.

The picture shows it in a bracket but you can take it out of the bracket. I mounted it in the left side upper glovebox (by the radio - there is a lot of room there) of the upper glove box, so that the power adapter can stick into the glove box. It is a nice clean install and easy to do. It makes it look like the car came with the extra outlet now in the glove box.

I sanded off the corner of the lid of the glove box slightly so the cord comes threw. When you are not using it you can just open the lid and throw the cord inside.

I put a tap into the power side of the standard power outlet (in front of the center console) since I don't have a full wiring diagram of the car yet. I suppose you could also use one of the many fuse block open areas with an adapter that plugs into the fuse block(there are a couple articles on the site where they did this)finding a always on source requires a wireing diagram or using your handy dandy volt meter.

I wasn't concerned about power when the car was off since my Garmin has a built in Litium Ion battery and the MSN receiver has its own battery.

I'll try to get some photo's this weekend

Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM

Old 11-16-2008, 02:55 PM
CBX
Thanks for the pictures. Nice touch with the magnified inset!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Nice mod AZEqualizer... +reps.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Smile Thanks AZ , I think I'll use that idea myself .

That would be great for My Nuvi 370 or charging a phone out of sight .

Old 12-09-2008, 02:33 AM
honda element lx accessory outlet if you want the OEM solution from college hills

08U55-SCV-100

Honda Element Accessories - 2007-2008 Interior Accessories

Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM
CBX
HONDAMATIC, +rep for posting the link!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 AM
youre welcome! im thinking of adding one by my hatch area too

Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Someone asked me what wire going to the outlet I taped into .... it was the purple wire ... the black one is the ground. I have a 09 GE8 so the wiring may very.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MsFit
Wonder how the cup holder mount would do on the cup holder to the left of the steering wheel?
Summary: It does well, I recommend it. I use one for my Magellan Maestro 3210.

Long story: I first tried the air vent mount from MountGuys in my 2007 Fit. It blocked too much airflow, making me worry my GPS would overheat in winter or develop condensation in the summer. The anchoring clips that go over the "fins" in the vent needed to be modified to install properly, and the entire thing was very much not easily removable once installed. Removing the two clips from the vent seems to require three hands plus a screwdriver, and removing the cradle from the clips required enough force to make me worry about breaking the vent fins. The clips also scratched my vent up a bit.

I then ordered a cupholder mount from MountGuys and have been using it ever since. I can kind of shove it under the front passenger seat when I'm done with it and toss the GPS into my bag.

I'd recommend the cupholder mount if you have concerns about theft, as it can be easily removed and stowed somewhere hidden without leaving a suction-cup circle or obvious mounting hardware behind. Using the cupholder in the center console near the steering wheel might be too close to the knees for taller drivers. This is not a problem with me, though my boyfriend chooses to use the cupholder on the passenger side for this reason. The location is also generally shielded from glare unless the sun is low in the sky and coming in the side window. The downside is having to glance down to view the GPS. I generally only do this when traffic is uncomplicated or stopped, as my GPS "talks".

MountGuys also sells a lighter socket mount that seems intriguing, but there is probably not enough clearance for it.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Here's my Nuvi mount -

It's the only way to go - totally clean, completely reversible, comes out in 2 minutes if you want to transfer it to another car... no wires hanging all over the place. The angle of the picture is deceiving as I took the pic standing up, outside the car. I have my mount in the lower corner of the windshield - completely out of the field of view when driving, but it's a slight glance down to view the screen. I tried the left side little window but I had to take my eyes way off of the road to look at the screen, which I didn't like.

I used a fusable link in the fusebox, and tied it to a 12V power outlet that's bolted underneath the driver's side dash. Pop the tweeter out, plug the Nuvi in, and run the Nuvi power wire up through the tweeter hole. On the backside of the tweeter you can grind a small notch to run the wire through, the key here is to make the notch a hair smaller than the power wire, or so it fits snug without cutting into the wire casing...

When you want to remove the unit, you remove the suction cup and tug gently on the power wire. This dislodges the tweeter... pull the bottom under-dash cover, pull the power plug out, pull the power cord down through the tweeter hole, and it's out. Sounds like a lot, but it takes me under two minutes to get everything out.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 PM
CBX
Great idea fishing the power wire through the tweeter opening!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
[quote=tobey457;570191]Here's my Nuvi mount -

quote]

What I'm wondering is:
How do you reach all the way forward in order to use the GPS touchscreen? I,ve got long arms and I can't do it.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by cardinal

What I'm wondering is:
How do you reach all the way forward in order to use the GPS touchscreen? I,ve got long arms and I can't do it.

I'm the opposite, I have very short arms. I pull it out of the cradle to do what I have to do, I don't touch it if the car is moving.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
Arrow

Another GPS mounting solution.

Since the GE8 instrument panel hood is only about $42 and the GD3 is only $25 (from Bernardi or College Hills) It is no big deal 2 drill a couple of holes.

Here is my Basic GD3 set up, will do it the same for my 09. The 2 mount points are for a garmin (2730) and a Sirius Steletto 2
All the couple inches of exposed wires were in shrink tubing, and I used a grommet for the hole they went thru.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
CBX
Love those RAM mounts!

I didn't go with one in the Fit, but have them in the truck, on the motorcycles, bicycle, and kayak.

Quick Reply: GPS Mounting Solutions