2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Any 2007-08 Owners Who Bought A 2009 Regret It?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Any 2007-08 Owners Who Bought A 2009 Regret It?

As the owner of an 08 (briefly) and now the 2009 I can confidently say that the car is IMO designed and built far better than the old models. Car is much quieter, handles much more like a car than a Go Kart so in the real world you retain the outstanding handling, yet are far more comfortable in controlling the car. Ergonomics has certsainly improved and the "feel" of all the switches etc. is much better, more like an expensive (under 30K) car. The front seats are like night and day but I do prefer the older color but material quality looks higher.
Has anyone bought a 2009 and wished they kept the old model? If so then what makes you prefer the older model? Frankly I can't possibly see anyone wanting such an older model but I am sure there is someone who wants to sell a 2009 and buy a car designed almost 10 years ago!

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SlavetotheHonda
As the owner of an 08 (briefly) and now the 2009 I can confidently say that the car is IMO designed and built far better than the old models. Car is much quieter, handles much more like a car than a Go Kart so in the real world you retain the outstanding handling, yet are far more comfortable in controlling the car. Ergonomics has certsainly improved and the "feel" of all the switches etc. is much better, more like an expensive (under 30K) car. The front seats are like night and day but I do prefer the older color but material quality looks higher.
Has anyone bought a 2009 and wished they kept the old model? If so then what makes you prefer the older model? Frankly I can't possibly see anyone wanting such an older model but I am sure there is someone who wants to sell a 2009 and buy a car designed almost 10 years ago!
So when you say the car is quieter, can you tell us exactly how/where? Meaning is there less tire noise, wind noise, road noise or engine noise?

I spent some time with my dad's 07 Sport AT and though it's been almost a year since I've driven his, I remember the steering to have a tad more feel to it and to my recollection I thought the steering was quicker with less slop. Felt like the car was on rails and you were so connected to the steering, car and road. I remember dodging potholes solely with my mind. I think that's what you mean by "go-kart handling". Is this true? I could be dead wrong as I haven't driven it in a while. I know all the reports say the 09s handle way better. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:21 PM
handling like a go kart is one of the main reasons i bought the car, i race cars and like to feel whats happening. if i wanted a smooth ride i'd buy a crown vic or something.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Road/Tire Noise IMO Has Been Reduced Significantly, Handling

Remains as good or better, it simply doesn't feel so small and jittery. My M3 handled extremely well but certainly didn't feel like a go kart! Most reviews agree that the cars handling has improved.

Last edited by SlavetotheHonda; 09-26-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
So when you say the car is quieter, can you tell us exactly how/where? Meaning is there less tire noise, wind noise, road noise or engine noise?

I spent some time with my dad's 07 Sport AT and though it's been almost a year since I've driven his, I remember the steering to have a tad more feel to it and to my recollection I thought the steering was quicker with less slop. Felt like the car was on rails and you were so connected to the steering, car and road. I remember dodging potholes solely with my mind. I think that's what you mean by "go-kart handling". Is this true? I could be dead wrong as I haven't driven it in a while. I know all the reports say the 09s handle way better. I hope I'm wrong.
Noise: All of the above have improved. It still has the same engine sound, but it seems to be a lower pitch.

Handling: It's exactly as you say. I wouldn't say the new one is sloppy, just that you feel less connected with the road than the previous model. I did like the "go kart" feel of the old one.

I like both models for what they are. When my 07 was totaled, there was no question in my mind what I would get to replace it. If the 09's were coming in any later I would have gotten an 08 anyway.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
I wish I can drive an 07-08 right now to compare the steering among other things.

That extra connection that I remember the 07 to have really makes a difference to me. That's why I'm seriously considering mounting some stiff sidewall summer tires to get that "on rails" or "go kart" feeling back.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
That's why I'm seriously considering mounting some stiff sidewall summer tires to get that "on rails" or "go kart" feeling back.
I'll bet that would make a huge difference.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
Frankly I can't possibly see anyone wanting such an older model but I am sure there is someone who wants to sell a 2009 and buy a car designed almost 10 years ago!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Designed 10 years ago.

Frankly I can't possibly see anyone wanting such an older model but I am sure there is someone who wants to sell a 2009 and buy a car designed almost 10 years ago!

---

Wow, that's naive. I know that this comment can be viewed as a bit biased but, honestly, I love the GD3 in terms of design and feel compared to the GE8. I bought this car because it sorta reminded me a lot of the EG (92-95) civic hatchback and although that car was designed some 16 years ago, I think it looks better than ANYTHING Honda has made since then. I mean besides the NSX.

Some cars just get better with age, and I think that the GD3 is going to be a competitor to the EG in terms of desirability a few years down the line. Plus, it's the first gen! I can't wait to see what the future holds for this car.

Bri

Old 09-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by NostalgicFit

---

Wow, that's naive. I know that this comment can be viewed as a bit biased but, honestly, I love the GD3 in terms of design and feel compared to the GE8. I bought this car because it sorta reminded me a lot of the EG (92-95) civic hatchback and although that car was designed some 16 years ago, I think it looks better than ANYTHING Honda has made since then. I mean besides the NSX.

Some cars just get better with age, and I think that the GD3 is going to be a competitor to the EG in terms of desirability a few years down the line. Plus, it's the first gen! I can't wait to see what the future holds for this car.

Bri
Bri, do you own a 09?

Old 09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
As I will own both sometime soon
I have an 08' and have now driven the 09'.
I like it, seems like a decent car (although the styling isn't for me) but I like the handling of the 08' better. Seems more fun to drive.
Noise? Pretty much the same on my commute. Power? Again, I can't notice any difference on my work commute. Steering? I like the 08' better. The newer car seems less responsive but maybe thats a good thing for some people.
Anyway, when I buy the 09 next spring my wife will be driving it and I will keep driving the 08'. My choice on this one, she really doesn't care which she gets.
And in 2 years my boys will get the 09' anyway. Poor car......

Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Yes.

Originally Posted by fliptwister
Bri, do you own a 09?
Yes, that's why I typed this may be viewed as biased.

I actually think the GE8 is growing on me though, in select colors only..and not from the side. Really like the rear bumper "diffuser."

Bri

Last edited by NostalgicFit; 09-28-2008 at 03:44 PM.