2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Anyone ever lift their Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:42 PM
I posted a more in depth and condensed discussion regarding this on the ge8 suspension page. Alternatively I also have a wiki at automotive2 [Americanzer0's Wiki]

I would caution using tires only as a means of substantial lifting because of the problem of running into the spring perch on the strut. Additionally sidewall flex is more pronounced when you have, well, more side wall. If your trying to obtain a lift for performance usage snow/gravel, the aforementioned spring perch issue can be exasperated as snow can get caked up in there faster (trust me on this one).

If all you care about is getting it to not scrape, tires might not even be the cheapest/easiest route either, using 2nd gen Honda Insight rear springs will raise the front, and they take like 10-minutes to install, and can be often had for under $75/pair.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info shared in this thread guys! I just pulled the front and rear coil springs from a 2010 Insight at the junk yard, unfortunately a front strut was bent, so I just grabbed all 4 springs. I ordered some new Sachs front struts, should be getting it done in a couple weeks.

Old 04-01-2020, 06:49 PM
Hi all,
anybody know if the 2010-2014 insight springs will work on a 2017 fit or if HR-V springs will work? I had an 09 base model that I changed the springs on, and it worked great. would like to do the same to the 2017

Old 04-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ARCHIVE
Thanks for the info shared in this thread guys! I just pulled the front and rear coil springs from a 2010 Insight at the junk yard, unfortunately a front strut was bent, so I just grabbed all 4 springs. I ordered some new Sachs front struts, should be getting it done in a couple weeks.
Here is data from my install

I measured with digital calipers the wire diameter of 2010 Insight vs 2009 Fit springs:

Front 2010 Insight is 0.485" wire and 2009 Fit was really close at 0.480", close enough to not make a difference. I also noticed the front doesn't feel stiffer at all. I got NO LIFT from the springs, they are LOWER by ~1/4"in fact, I did measure. (There are different paint markings on Insight vs Fit springs). Don't waste time or money on front Insight springs.

Rear 2010 Insight is 0.500" wire and Fit was a paltry 0.425" and I got at least 1.25" lift
The ride is good, but firmer without weight, handling is better, and load capacity is much much better, which is very important to my usage. (Disclaimer: the rear Insight springs may increase tendency to oversteer in snow, or avoidance manuvers)

For shocks and struts, I installed new Sachs front struts with the front Insight springs and they work well

A couple years back, I installed Monroe OE spectrum rear shocks for my Bro-in-law back when this car was his and they are terrible brand new, literally junk, no control, do not buy. Buy Sachs or KYB or Koni. I have some stock rear shocks to install when the weather gets nice.

I did notice that some mfgs list Fit and Insight shocks and struts as interchangeable, and I can confirm the lengths are the same.

Side pic with 2010 Insight springs front and rear, tires are 195/70-r14 about 24.8" diam

Now I will look at the Tema spacers for front lift, to level the car. How long do they take to get in the mail?

Last edited by ARCHIVE; 05-22-2020 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 04:05 PM
seeing no difference in lift with insight springs in the front was my experience as well. insight springs in the rear seem to do very well. I just ordered some Tema spacers for the front about 3 days ago. It said I would receive them between may 2nd and 14th. If I remember correctly there was an expedited shipping option for about $35.00 that had an estimated delivery of maybe a week. In hindsight, I should have gone with that.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Fitcamper
seeing no difference in lift with insight springs in the front was my experience as well. insight springs in the rear seem to do very well. I just ordered some Tema spacers for the front about 3 days ago. It said I would receive them between may 2nd and 14th. If I remember correctly there was an expedited shipping option for about $35.00 that had an estimated delivery of maybe a week. In hindsight, I should have gone with that.
I appreciate the info on ordering Tema spacers
Would probably be good for people to do a group buy

Old 04-27-2020, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Americancosworth

Here is another better pic of the car with the lift on it. It handles very well on ice and snow now... Waiting to install the rear antisway bar as well as the front skid plate...

oh snap i think i saw you downtown gresham a few months back.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:56 AM
Sorry if this is out of place, but this thread seems to be the most relevant/up to date. I have a 2007 GD3 and am looking to replace the current set of 30mm tema4x4 spacers that I have in the rear. I'm looking for stiffer/longer springs to increase the cargo capacity, so my fit is not sitting so low when fully loaded. Does anyone know if the ~2010 insight springs are would work with my 2007 GD3, and if they would be an improvement? I'm not sure how much difference there is between the GD3 suspension and the GE one.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by dustinlagoy
Sorry if this is out of place, but this thread seems to be the most relevant/up to date. I have a 2007 GD3 and am looking to replace the current set of 30mm tema4x4 spacers that I have in the rear. I'm looking for stiffer/longer springs to increase the cargo capacity, so my fit is not sitting so low when fully loaded. Does anyone know if the ~2010 insight springs are would work with my 2007 GD3, and if they would be an improvement? I'm not sure how much difference there is between the GD3 suspension and the GE one.
I can't confirm that Insight springs fit GD3, but I can say that on the 2009+ Fit, the rear Insight springs do exactly what you want. They lift about 1.25"+[32mm+] and increase the spring rate to easily handle loads of 250+ lbs on the hatch cargo floor.
I have had 250lbs without going lower than stock lift height, and I think you could put up to 500lbs back there

Last edited by ARCHIVE; 05-22-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the info ARCHIVE! Did you happen to take any measurements other than the wire diameter when you did your install? I'd guess the total diameter (as in, the width of the spring, something like 4 inches) would be the same, since Tema4x4's spacers fit both models, but perhaps the uncompressed length is different. Though that might be hard to compare with the well used springs I currently have.

Old 05-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by dustinlagoy
Thanks for the info ARCHIVE! Did you happen to take any measurements other than the wire diameter when you did your install? I'd guess the total diameter (as in, the width of the spring, something like 4 inches) would be the same, since Tema4x4's spacers fit both models, but perhaps the uncompressed length is different. Though that might be hard to compare with the well used springs I currently have.
No problem, I recommend you use info on rockauto.com to compare sizes, some brands have outer diameter and height

Old 05-15-2020, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Fitcamper

Can you confirm for me your Honda Fit's info (year, sub-model, and milage on your stock suspension) as well whether or not the insight springs were used or not and from what year of insight? If we aren't seeing a lift from used springs, then I want to update my wiki, as there could be the scenario that the modest lift I saw was from new springs replacing old stock springs, or that there is a noticeable lift...

As I noted in my wiki as well, confoundingly there exists multiple honda insight springs that appear to have been used...

Old 06-19-2020, 05:53 PM
Sold the springs

Last edited by ARCHIVE; 08-18-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by ARCHIVE
If anyone needs a pair of rear lift springs, I have a pair of 2010 Insight rear springs with 75k miles for $100 shipped in 50 states by US postal.
See posts above for my install and performance details on these.
These are boxed and ready to ship, includes rubber pads as pictured.
I sold the Fit, likely moving to an AWD crossover
Thank you
Do you still have the insight springs?

Old 08-31-2020, 11:27 AM
Bumping up this old thread -
Instead of getting the front spacers, could you buy tein or eibach springs for the Insight (they look like they are lowered by 1" or so) and install them?

Old 09-02-2020, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hokoman;[url=tel:1450532
1450532]Bumping up this old thread -
Instead of getting the front spacers, could you buy tein or eibach springs for the Insight (they look like they are lowered by 1" or so) and install them?
I installed the stock insight front springs as well as the rears. The fronts effectively had zero lift, so Insight lowering springs would likely lower the front of the Fit.

installed the 30mm Tema4x4 kit up front at the same time. It's almost level, maybe 10mm higher in the rear. I would still install the front Insight springs as they seem a bit stiffer and any stiffness helps when jacking up the car. Stock rates are around 80F/120R while Insight springs are around 120F/200R.

Also have a progress RSB which helps with body roll. Longer rear shocks from a Scion xB in the rear for more shock travel using an adapter for the lower eyelet, but not really necessary.

Tires are 205/65r15 on 15x7 Konig Dial-in flow formed wheels that weigh about 11 pounds a pop. Rub on the fender liners but who cares. If you want no rubbing at all I would step down to 195/65r15. Tires are Vredenstein Quatrac 5 all weather tires at 18 pounds per tire. Total weight is 29 pounds compared to 36ish stock. This results in a 10% reduction in rotational inertia despite a 1.5" larger diameter tire. Also a 20% reduction in unsprung weight compared to stock Sport wheels and tires. The tires certainly killed a lot of steering feel but they also muted a lot of harshness.

Overall I love it. I've had lowered cars all my life and this is just plain fun. No more quenching up the butt cheeks when crossing speed bumps. You can't quite go full hooligan, but it's close.

I have a spoon sway bar that I might install eventually. But with the stiffer springs and RSB it's just fine if you don't push it like a racecar 😂

Last edited by Fast1one; 09-02-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2023, 01:31 PM
I have a 2012 Fit which has a hitch mounted bike rack on the back. It handles one bike fine. Two bikes, it has noticeable sag. Three bikes (max load) is pretty sketchy.

The rack, which is always installed, is 50 pounds, and each bike is 30 to 35 pounds. They exert a lot of leverage.

I'm strongly considering getting the Insight springs (rear only) to prevent excessive sag under load. With no other mods to the front of the car, would this be a bad idea? I could live with some harsher ride feel. I just had the shocks upgraded to Bilsteins.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by mossboss
I have a 2012 Fit which has a hitch mounted bike rack on the back. It handles one bike fine. Two bikes, it has noticeable sag. Three bikes (max load) is pretty sketchy.

The rack, which is always installed, is 50 pounds, and each bike is 30 to 35 pounds. They exert a lot of leverage.

I'm strongly considering getting the Insight springs (rear only) to prevent excessive sag under load. With no other mods to the front of the car, would this be a bad idea? I could live with some harsher ride feel. I just had the shocks upgraded to Bilsteins.
It's fine, I did that, see post #44 for pic of rake. The insight springs easily handle weight.
The ride will be good for you since you have a constant 50lbs of rack hanging off the back, plus a hitch as well. (I had no hitch, it was either completely empty or hauling 200-300lbs of packages in the hatch)

Bilstein shocks are garbage

Old 04-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Just do it. The Insight springs will be the easiest fix for that. Super easy install as well. You probably won't even notice a ride difference after a few days (if at all), but it will help with clearance/load leveling like you need.

Old 04-03-2023, 01:55 PM
Great, thanks for your guys' help. Would you be able to suggest reputable online source for the Insight coils?

Quick Reply: Anyone ever lift their Fit?