2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Sport AT Upshift Lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM
2010 Sport AT Upshift Lag

Hey folks,

I have a 2010 Fit Sport AT coming up on it's 5th year of me owning it. Right about 65,000 miles -- all standard city miles.

I have noticed some lag in the upshift of the transmission that I am trying to understand if real or placebo. I've noticed it in the last 2 weeks and of course, my head has really started to examine the possible issue a lot.

I seem to feel that after accelerating from 50 to 60 mph (or 60 to 70, etc) requiring a downshift of some sort, I then lay off the gas peddle and there's a small lag in shifting back to top gear/5th gear/overdrive.

I seem to feel that after accelerating from 50 to 60mph (or 60 to 70, etc) that requires a downshift, I then have a small lag in shifting back to top gear/5th gear/overdrive when I either back off the peddle or even completely remove my foot from the peddle.

During normal acceleration from 0 to 50, everything seems entirely normal.

It's a little hard to explain as I'm not the most mechanically inclined. So I am also not sure where to start troubleshooting. At 65k miles, I didn't feel I was up to the point of fluid change, but if there's a chance that could be a remedy, I am willing to make it happen. I have taken very good care of the car and don't want this to be the start of a larger issue.

It could also just be age I imagine...though would love some confirmation or assistance in understanding what I may be experiencing. Or it could just be placebo that I have all the sudden gotten my mind attached to...

I am just not sure what kind of diagnostic that I can do to understand fully if there's an issue.

Thanks!
Cameron

Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
confirmation

I have 137k on the odometer and my AT has also been acting a bit funky...,my issue involves deceleration though. Accelerating is fine and ass it has always been.

Description:

- after accelerating, when the at decides to shift, it will do so the revs will drop during the shift, then raise back up a second after the shift...I will need to record this and post it on youtube

-On occassion, when coasting to a stop, the car will shift pretty hard, like someone pushed it from front (best description I can come up with).

I have stayed on top of the fluid and dont think there is much I can do here other than drive it till it fails, then replace....

so to the OP, it's probably not in your head, but you dont have to worry about it failing on you just yet...

Old 10-06-2015, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
#1. First I would change the transmission fluid. Use Honda DW-1. Change it once, drive it for a while to see if it helps. If you take it somewhere make sure they use Honda DW-1 and DO NOT let them flush the transmission. Honda says no to transmission flushing. To change 90% of the fluid you have to repeat the change a total of 3 times.

As a regular course of maintenance on the 3 Honda Automatics I own, I change the ATF fluid one time every other year.

#2. Change the transmission filter that sits on top of the transmission, although it is design to last 100K I change mine every 50K. While you are in there it wouldn't hurt to pull the solenoids to make sure there is no crud in them. I haven't had to take mine apart, but some Hondas have solenoid screens that get partially plugged with crap.

#3. If one of the transmission pressure switches goes bad, it will shift funny and set a code. If one gets marginal, it may cause issues for a while before it sets a code. The transmission is computer controlled and sometimes it does strange things, like a hard or delayed shift, but it will be fine at most times. Just the nature of the beast.

If you aren't doing this yourself, the challenge will be to find a competent shop to do it for you and not do unnecessary repairs.