2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Air Conditioning Problem—Dealer Says "No Parts"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Air Conditioning Problem—Dealer Says "No Parts"

2009 Fit Sport with 91,000 miles.

The AC compressor gave out a death rattle and quit blowing cold air. Dealer says it needs a clutch and a compressor coil. I don't care about the diagnosis and the parts cost and labor appear reasonable. However…dealer says there are no available parts in their distribution channel. The clutch is backordered until September 25 and there is no date for the availability of the coil.

This is a six-year-old mass market automobile. Anybody else having trouble with parts? We're out here in the middle of nowhere and the dealer is sixty miles away, so it's hard to communicate except by phone. I am thinking that there are other parts channels that they could use if they wished, and I am going to start pushing them, but would like to know what I'm talking about before I start to rattle their cage.

Thanks.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I work for a dealer....
The field coil is definitely an issue right now, they are not lying to you.
Hondas parts division (backorder department, if you will) posted a message to all US dealers on Friday, requesting if any have the coil part number in their inventory to contact them.

Aftermarket parts stores normally do not sell just the clutch and coil parts alone. They sell complete compressors, usually remanufactured and of very questionable quality.

When I reringed my GFs Fit engine a few weeks ago, it took a week to get some of my parts and none were backordered ---they must have been on the other side of the planet or something.

EDIT:
I am thinking that there are other parts channels that they could use if they wished, and I am going to start pushing them, but would like to know what I'm talking about before I start to rattle their cage.
Don't do that, it will not help anything.
Dealers have to follow certain protocol as far as obtaining genuine parts, your dealer has done what they are supposed to do.

Last edited by ezone; 09-13-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, ezone.

I expected this problem from time to time when we had our '71 Saab 99. As much as I appreciate the oddball car, I stick with the mainstream now in the hope of avoiding these kinds of problems.

I guess I'll just go pick up the car, drive it as is, and wait them out. I spoke with the service department again and they have no further news.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's cheaper to live in the country:

Dealer is 60 miles away.

One trip to the dealer with two cars to leave one: 120 miles.
Return home in one car: 60 miles.
Another trip to pick up the car: 60 miles.
A final trip back with both cars: 120 miles.

When they eventually get parts, I can repeat the process. At least the car gets reasonable mileage (particularly without the AC).

Old 09-29-2015, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Update

I received a call with a tentative ship date of October 11 for my air conditioner field coil. I am "number 33" on Honda's list to receive one of these gems.

I have this picture of elves in a workshop somewhere carefully crafting air conditioner parts one at a time and not quite keeping up with demand.

Cheers.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Here is the end of the story. I called the dealer last Monday and asked for the zone manager's number. At that time the dealer told me that there was no information about the part I needed at all—no delivery date. I did reach the zone manager's assistant who told me there was no parts shortage "that he knew of." The zone manager called me back and said that the dealer had the part and was installing it as we spoke.

I don't know what really happened in Honda's supply chain. My outcome was the loss of the car for five weeks, and an $829 repair. The dealer didn't charge me for the oil change and tire rotation that I requested as well.

Honda is sending me $500 "loyalty dollars" that I can spend with them for my trouble.

If Honda was actually out of these parts I wonder if there will eventually be the same kind of extended warranty they had with the blower motors that burned up. I'm saving my receipt.

Cheers.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is sending me $500 "loyalty dollars" that I can spend with them for my trouble.
That's a nice gesture, I don't think I've heard of that before.

Thanks for the update.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Tentative ship dates are less than worthless, I'm disapointed that the dealership has someone on their payroll dumb enough to tell you that date.

I deal with backordered parts all the time, and it sucks. The dealership people feel for you, but they can't get the parts. They'd rather have had one in stock the day you first showed up.