2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Radiator Flush???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Radiator Flush???

I have a 2010 Honda Fit bought new. Got 30k and 45k service which says they topped off fluids. Car has 103k on it now.

So this makes me look dumb but here I am, I want to change the radiator fluid but seeing as it's possible that it never been changed in the car's history, would a flush be warranted? I know they recommend just drain and fill according to the manual but that's supposing you do it regularly.

So:
1. Do I do the flush?
2. If I do the flush, should I risk taking it to a shop where they may run tap water though it or try to do it myself with distiller water.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys.

Last edited by strngethngsafootatcirclek; 08-09-2015 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
If the shop does it they should use the Honda specified long life antifreeze. It's already 50:50 premixed. According to the manual Honda long life antifreeze should be used regardless of who changes it. I wouldn't flush it if it's never needed topping up.

Clifton

Old 08-11-2015, 07:08 PM
My 09 Fit has 181,000 miles on it (bought new), and I didn't change the radiator fluid until the maintenance minder told me to (It was around 100K). I've since done it again. All I did was drain the radiator, fill it with distilled water, ran the engine for about a minute, then drained again and refilled it with the 50/50 genuine Honda anti-freeze. It takes one bottle. There is also a block drain plug on the back of the engine that will get even more of the fluid removed if you can get to it and get it off. I ultimately decided against it, because I couldn't get to it and most people told me that you can only get another cup or two of anti-freeze out by removing it anyways. Plus, the used anti-freeze looked good when I drained the radiator, so I didn't think that there was a huge need to get every ounce of it out. Car has always run great - I've had zero problems.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:55 AM
Thanks!

Thanks for the helpful advice - will be doing it this Friday and will pick up some distilled water as well. I had read on some previous threads that it took more than a gallon of coolant so I have two of them coming one mail from Amazon today! Whoops, we'll see how the job goes and perhaps I can return one of them. Peace.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM
If you don't drain the block and fill with water the remaining old antifreeze will mix with the water.

The Honda shop manual recommends draining the radiator and the block, no flushing and fill with Honda coolant mix.

Clifton

Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strngethngsafootatcirclek
I have a 2010 Honda Fit bought new. Got 30k and 45k service which says they topped off fluids. Car has 103k on it now.

So this makes me look dumb but here I am, I want to change the radiator fluid but seeing as it's possible that it never been changed in the car's history, would a flush be warranted? I know they recommend just drain and fill according to the manual but that's supposing you do it regularly.

So:
1. Do I do the flush?
2. If I do the flush, should I risk taking it to a shop where they may run tap water though it or try to do it myself with distiller water.

Thanks in advance for the advice guys.
if you want, you can get the last bit out of the block but i dont do it, and just drain the radiator, fill it up, burp it. First change is usually 4-5th year of ownership, then i do it every other year using honda's coolant. if you're just needing to top off the reservoir u can use just distilled water, but if you use too much it can freeze in the winter if you are in a snow belt state.

if you get the right funnel it is very easy to do the burping.