2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wiper blade age?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Wiper blade age?

2011 HOnda Fit bought new. Over here in SW Florida it is rainy season and the wife is going to start driving 60 mi a day. So I looked at wiper blades which are OE, never replaced, 4 years old. They look and perform ok. But am thinking it is time for a new set?

So I start poking around the net and they, whoever they are? Are saying blades should be replaced at 6 months to a year! 6 months, what are they making these things from paper mache??

At what interval are people replacing blades? Jim

Looked at the truck with 7 year old blades and they do need to be replaced.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
I replace mine every year, usually in the fall.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:02 PM
I don't have a fixed schedule, but base it on how well they wipe the windshield or when they start coming apart (usually due to icing in winter). Probably averages out to every year and a half or so. Yearly wouldn't be unreasonable in my opinion; the difference in performance between good and bad wiper rubber is significant.

You probably could get away with a longer period for the rear wiper if you must pinch a penny somewhere.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
The 2011 Fit I just sold had the OE wipers, they were still good. The car was in NC until about a year ago, however, it was not a daily driver and was garaged in both places.

I never replace them until they begin to not wipe cleanly. I have found that aftermarket wiper blades don't normally work as well or last as long as OE wipers.

Clifton

Old 08-10-2015, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
In fair weather states, they may last awhile.

In cold weather/snow states, have fun getting more than a year from them without a HUGE decline in performance.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm, i live in one of the coldest cities in canada and my 3.5 year old wipers still work well enough for me, though definitely not like new. Have been thinking its almost time to change them though..

Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
Change them when they don't give you a clean wipe even after you've tried to clean the rubber. I use mine for many years without changing them. I don't know if you know already, but you can buy rubber refills from the dealership. Cheaper in the long run compared to buying whole new wipers.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Cruatchi
Change them when they don't give you a clean wipe even after you've tried to clean the rubber. I use mine for many years without changing them. I don't know if you know already, but you can buy rubber refills from the dealership. Cheaper in the long run compared to buying whole new wipers.
NO, I did not know and thanks for mentioning it! I looked over some blade reviews and Rainx latitude has high marks and Valeo is also ranked high with lower price. So I ordered 2 different rainx baldes for the Fit and 2 Valeo for my pickup to compare them.

The first thing I noticed is the OE Fit wiper blade is about 6 times more material than the Rainx and am thinking this does not look right, no wonder they are replacing at a year! Is this thing even going to last a year? I do not envision this taking off more than a couple snow flakes let alone a snowstorm. Not an issue here in Florida.

So I am putting the OE blades away and will be shopping for rubber refill within the next couple months and hoping these Rainx do not fall apart and ruin my windshield!
Thanks Jim.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
I usually replace them when they start falling apart. The length of time between changes has varied quite a bit. Mine is an '09. I think I have changed them at least 2x (total of 3 sets counting the ones it came with). I always use OEM inserts from Honda when I change them. They are cheap and work well. If yours are 4 years old, I would probably replace them for peace of mind.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
im in harsh winter area, so i change them out every 6months, the rear one usually lasts about a year.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jjrbus
2011 HOnda Fit bought new. Over here in SW Florida it is rainy season and the wife is going to start driving 60 mi a day. So I looked at wiper blades which are OE, never replaced, 4 years old. They look and perform ok. But am thinking it is time for a new set?

So I start poking around the net and they, whoever they are? Are saying blades should be replaced at 6 months to a year! 6 months, what are they making these things from paper mache??

At what interval are people replacing blades? Jim

Looked at the truck with 7 year old blades and they do need to be replaced.
Isn't it obvious, that "they" who are telling you to replace wiper blades every six months are the same "they" who are making money selling you wiper blades?

I replace mine when I notice they aren't doing the job anymore, or if there is damage to them. I buy the refills from Honda. No need to replace the entire blade.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i only swap the refills, the blades themselves are fine.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
^ thats really interesting how often you need to change them. Theres no way your winter is as bad as mine, and yet my original blades from 3.5 years ago are still working acceptably and my rear one works practically like new(cleans the window with one wipe). Maybe they put heavier duty blades on the canadian model.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
^ thats really interesting how often you need to change them. Theres no way your winter is as bad as mine, and yet my original blades from 3.5 years ago are still working acceptably and my rear one works practically like new(cleans the window with one wipe). Maybe they put heavier duty blades on the canadian model.
or i just like preventative maintenance cause they dont cost much of anything.

3.5yrs huh? lol would be torn in my area by then for sure.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm i guess it just doesnt rain a lot here lol. But yeah its honestly still fine. Should probably change it soon just for good measure though.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
OE Wiper refills with Rain-X on Windshield

I too only swap in the refills. I have a 2009 and am still on the 2nd set (first replacement). The cost is something like $6 for the refills so you aren't going to find a better deal and honestly, I agree with those that say the OE blades seem to last the longest. (of note, I'm in VT which has some cold weather and snow)

OP. One other thing to consider if you are expecting lots of rain over the next few months. I use RainX on the windshield about 1-2 times per year and it works wonders. Read the directions if you haven't used it before as you apply, let the windows fog up a bit, then polish off with a clean dry cloth. Honestly, it's a world of difference. I also use it on the back and side windows as rain just runs off the car. Driving in heavy rains where most would pull over is much clearer and definitely passable (As long as you slow down a bit) with Rain-X Applied.

~SB

Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
Replace them when they start streaking and cleaning the blade does not fix the problem. I'm guessing that is every 3 or 4 years.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
yes, rainx is very effective to prolong the life of the refills AND to clean the glass.

i spray occasionally to rid oils and water stains from daily driving and being parked outdoors 24/7.

i spray into paper towel, apply to glass until hazy.
then lightly mist distilled water over the glass and use my glass mf towel to wipe off.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
another thing is, i dont want to be freezing my arse out there in sub-0F just to change a damn refill cause i was too lazy to do it in the Fall..

Old 08-22-2015, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, im always parked in a garage, maybe thats part of the difference.

I had a similar coating i used on my glass for a long while. Rain would just bead off when it was light. I will check out rainx. Would that help with snow and ice removal also?

Quick Reply: Wiper blade age?