2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

USB drive isn't playing music

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
USB drive isn't playing music

I'm trying to hook up my old Android and jump drive to the usb port. The jump drive is super old. I'm sayin, it's at least 7-8 years old. So when it hits a bump it sometimes gets unconnected.

My Android on the other hand is an even harder cookie to crack. I've done these two steps in different configs. Both on at the same time, each on individually

Applications -> Development -> USB Debugging

or

Wireless and Network -> USB Utilities -> USB Mass Storage

I'm using Android 2.3. Yeah it's old, but it does everything I need it to. So, is there an app or any other way I can hook up my phone to the usb in order to play music? Another question, can I get a usb splitter? If I can't get the usb to play music from my phone I'd prefer using a jump drive, but at the same time I'd also like to charge my phone. The owner's manual tells you not to use a usb extension, which seems like a load of bullshit to me. Thoughts?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
The head unit only accepts fat32 format. I haven't been able to get any android device to work

Old 08-02-2015, 07:45 PM
Does it not have Bluetooth? See the problem I'm having is youre going fishing but you haven't told us the rod (model fit) nor the bait (model of phone). Once I know the model of phone, I can really be of help. Have you ever thought of rooting "unlocking" the phone. Gingerbread "Android 2.3" is still used by 20% of Android users. You do know you can buy newer phones cheap with at least Jellybean "Android 4.2" on board right? It's just like older iPhone /iPod aren't compatible either. Please give us more info though. Thx.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Does it not have Bluetooth? See the problem I'm having is youre going fishing but you haven't told us the rod (model fit) nor the bait (model of phone). Once I know the model of phone, I can really be of help. Have you ever thought of rooting "unlocking" the phone. Gingerbread "Android 2.3" is still used by 20% of Android users. You do know you can buy newer phones cheap with at least Jellybean "Android 4.2" on board right? It's just like older iPhone /iPod aren't compatible either. Please give us more info though. Thx.
2011 Honda Fit Sport. No, it doesn't have bluetooth. Yeah, I could get a new Android, but I'm not entirely sold on the functionality of a smartphone after all these years. I won't upgrade unless it has a qwerty keyboard(which they don't make anymore.) I'm not even really hard sold on the GPS since I've used maps all my life. Tinder on the other hand is something I can't do without. Thanks for letting me know about old iPods. I have an original and even though I hate it, it's good to know it's obsolete for my car.

Regardless, I'm thinking I'd like to get a USB splitter so I can charge my phone and use a jump drive for music at the same time. Is this feasible to do? Or will the Fit get confused?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 PM
Androids have a hard time connecting to car USB's as far as I've experienced. I have a 2.1 android and a 4.4 and I've had a hard time with both. And no, debugging doesn't help.

The car's head unit will usually read it if it can recognize the device within a certain number of seconds. With this time, both phone and head unit should come up with an agreement, otherwise the car will tell you "NO USB" while the phone indicates USB connected.

Solution? Get a cheap usb stick, save yourself the trouble =/

Old 08-04-2015, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sonnington
2011 Honda Fit Sport. No, it doesn't have bluetooth. Yeah, I could get a new Android, but I'm not entirely sold on the functionality of a smartphone after all these years. I won't upgrade unless it has a qwerty keyboard(which they don't make anymore.) I'm not even really hard sold on the GPS since I've used maps all my life. Tinder on the other hand is something I can't do without. Thanks for letting me know about old iPods. I have an original and even though I hate it, it's good to know it's obsolete for my car.

Regardless, I'm thinking I'd like to get a USB splitter so I can charge my phone and use a jump drive for music at the same time. Is this feasible to do? Or will the Fit get confused?
My 13 sport got confused by the splitter. I am not a tech guy though & might've had the phone on an improper setting. I use a phone holder that turns the lighter plug into 2. I charge my phone with a usb adapter there. Seems to charge faster that way.
Good luck