2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Warning yellow light, or am I delusional?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Warning yellow light, or am I delusional?

I had an encounter at a red light where the car to the side of me OBVIOUSLY was going to bolt and lane jump, this is classic at a particular intersection where I travel. Of course, my competitive side kicks and I am always on for a good race, er, ummm, I mean brisk run.
I am a manual transmission. I am good with my shifting skills...and it seems during this encounter that I got a glimpse of a what I thought was a yellow light on my tach. I don't think I redlined at all (the engine was not screaming), but I did go further with my RPM's than I do in normal driving...
I looked in my owner's manual to see if that was a location for a light, but couldn't find any information.
Or was it excess adrenaline and I "thought" I saw something?
Thanks.
Perry
btw, I won...It was an Altima, tags on car said 2.5...Ha!!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cajunpedaler
I had an encounter at a red light where the car to the side of me OBVIOUSLY was going to bolt and lane jump, this is classic at a particular intersection where I travel. Of course, my competitive side kicks and I am always on for a good race, er, ummm, I mean brisk run.
I am a manual transmission. I am good with my shifting skills...and it seems during this encounter that I got a glimpse of a what I thought was a yellow light on my tach. I don't think I redlined at all (the engine was not screaming), but I did go further with my RPM's than I do in normal driving...
I looked in my owner's manual to see if that was a location for a light, but couldn't find any information.
Or was it excess adrenaline and I "thought" I saw something?
Thanks.
Perry
btw, I won...It was an Altima, tags on car said 2.5...Ha!!
Never seen such a thing on mine, and it's visited the redline more than once.

At least with an unmodified ECU, you won't be able to seriously over-rev the engine: the official redline is 6800 RPM, and there's a fuel cutoff at about 7000 RPM. Just leave your foot in it in first gear up to and past redline, and you'll see what I mean - the power will just sag until the RPMs drop a bit.

So if you want to abuse your clutch, tranny & driveshafts, this makes it real easy to do the good old "power shift": don't lift off the throttle when shifting, keep it pinned to the floor while you quickly push the clutch pedal and shift.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
do you have VSA? that lights up yellow near the top left .. i only see it in winter when im trying to get traction in deep snow though or wet slush

Old 08-04-2015, 04:04 PM
If you hit a tiny bump while taking off, esp. in 1st, the front wheels might spin a bit. This will cause the VSA light to flash.