2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Fit owner - mystery button? and other misc. questions :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 PM
New Fit owner - mystery button? and other misc. questions :)

Just got an 09 Fit today. Right over the drivers side air conditioning vent (left hand side of the steering wheel) is a button. Nothing to indicate what it is and I didn't see anything in the owners manual. I pushed it and nothing exciting happened.

Also, in the front bumper there's a hole...looks like something you'd stick something in and crank it up. Car salesman said something about hooking your camper up to it. We've owned several campers and I have no clue what he's talking about.

When I hook up my Android phone to the USB it says "unsupported" something...can't remember exactly. If anyone knows right off hand that would be great. I can always look it up.

Thank you,
Sharon

Last edited by ssforcey; 07-05-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Since I don't have an '09, I can't answer your first question.

The bumper hole you're referring to might be for the tow hook?
Name:  002-3.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  41.7 KB

My understanding is that Android OS isn't supported by the Fit. So for music, perhaps it'd be easier to load them into a USB drive? Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in on this.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by imhenry66
Since I don't have an '09, I can't answer your first question.

The bumper hole you're referring to might be for the tow hook?

My understanding is that Android OS isn't supported by the Fit. So for music, perhaps it'd be easier to load them into a USB drive? Maybe someone with more expertise can chime in on this.

Hmm posting my pic eh? Here is a current one. Trailer hookup?? He is nuts. It is a tow hook.

I do not recall that button must go look at my car.

Name:  20150619_154344.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  115.3 KB

Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM
My apologies for not crediting you. I do like your car quite a bit. It was also the first example I can think of.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
The button by the vent by the steering wheel should be the side view mirror adjuster. There should have been a little mirror symbol in the middle. It might have rubbed off.

Is there 4 other bumps in the Up down left right sides. Push on those corners to angle the mirror. You must select left or right first in the little slider next to it.

The only other button around that area is the traction control on/off. But that is closer the drivers knee area.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 AM
I have an 09 and the hole in the front fender is for a tow hook. very very useful. I suggest buying one ASAP in case of an emergency in the future. you also have another hole in the rear bumper for the same thing.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:12 AM
Yeah, the only thing I could think that related to a camper is maybe if someone is driving an RV and pulling the Fit behind it.

Anyway, the "button" I've figure out is something indicating that the alarm is engaged. I noticed it at night when it was blinking on and off red. Not sure why it's a "button" though but it does push in and out.

Thank you for all your help. I'll have more questions Loving this car though.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by imhenry66
My apologies for not crediting you. I do like your car quite a bit. It was also the first example I can think of.

No problem.

The original tow hooks should be in the trunk. I had three with mine. I guess in case one fell off -) anyways it is doubtful if you will get one in as the hole in bumper rusts badly. I had hard time getting the after market one in.

Maybe salesman thought it was electrical hook up for a trailer?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ssforcey
Yeah, the only thing I could think that related to a camper is maybe if someone is driving an RV and pulling the Fit behind it.

Anyway, the "button" I've figure out is something indicating that the alarm is engaged. I noticed it at night when it was blinking on and off red. Not sure why it's a "button" though but it does push in and out.

Thank you for all your help. I'll have more questions Loving this car though.
Wait a second?

Do you have a right hand drive fit?

Old 07-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
Wait a second?

Do you have a right hand drive fit?
Where I drive in the right seat? No.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
Where I drive in the right seat? No.
So I found the alarm button you were confused by but I have it in the center by the radio.

So I guessed you had a RHD, so your left would actually be center.

If you feel like taking a picture of the button, it would help.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mr.Hollow
So I found the alarm button you were confused by but I have it in the center by the radio.

So I guessed you had a RHD, so your left would actually be center.

If you feel like taking a picture of the button, it would help.
I'll do that. At this point I've pressed it so many times (waiting for the NOS to engage I'm thinking it's not really a button even though it presses in and out like a button.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by amberlee
I have an 09 and the hole in the front fender is for a tow hook. very very useful. I suggest buying one ASAP in case of an emergency in the future. you also have another hole in the rear bumper for the same thing.
there's one supplied in the tool bag in the trunk.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:34 PM
Bought mine used...didn't come with a bag

Old 07-14-2015, 09:34 PM
The '12 Fit, at least, has two blinking red lights when the car is parked. There's one on the radio that indicates that it has an "anti-theft" code, apparently because Honda thought that people would steal the fancy factory radio (with a CD player!) but be dissuaded by the fact that they have to punch in the right five-digit code to get it to work.

The second blinking light is on the dashboard and is tied to the simple car alarm system that it comes with from the factory. It blinks if the doors are locked with the key fob, and the horn and lights will go crazy if a door is opened without the key fob or outside mechanical key mechanism being used to unlock the door. (There is a 30 second or so arming period before its active, during which the light blinks more frequently.) This light is on the instrument panel, above the tachometer and to the left of the speedometer. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the '09 Fits had the alarm system from the factory.

ssforcey's sounds like an aftermarket alarm to me.

A motorhome tow bar hookup (for flat towing behind a motorhome) would usually be one or two attachment thingies somewhere in the vicinity of the lower grille opening. The off-center tow hook attachment is not for long-distance towing, of course, but rather for extricating the car from a ditch or snowbank or similar use.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
That helps. What's the quietest way to sit in the car for longer than 30+ seconds and get out? Dare I touch the door opener or should I unlock it with the remote?

Also, I'm guessing when you get in the car you should go ahead and put the key in the ignition. I apparently sat too long without and then tried to start it. It wouldn't start THEN all hell broke loose. Beeping, lights... The whole kine. Sensitive car.

Originally Posted by DrewE
The '12 Fit, at least, has two blinking red lights when the car is parked. There's one on the radio that indicates that it has an "anti-theft" code, apparently because Honda thought that people would steal the fancy factory radio (with a CD player!) but be dissuaded by the fact that they have to punch in the right five-digit code to get it to work.

The second blinking light is on the dashboard and is tied to the simple car alarm system that it comes with from the factory. It blinks if the doors are locked with the key fob, and the horn and lights will go crazy if a door is opened without the key fob or outside mechanical key mechanism being used to unlock the door. (There is a 30 second or so arming period before its active, during which the light blinks more frequently.) This light is on the instrument panel, above the tachometer and to the left of the speedometer. I don't know for sure, but I don't think the '09 Fits had the alarm system from the factory.

ssforcey's sounds like an aftermarket alarm to me.

A motorhome tow bar hookup (for flat towing behind a motorhome) would usually be one or two attachment thingies somewhere in the vicinity of the lower grille opening. The off-center tow hook attachment is not for long-distance towing, of course, but rather for extricating the car from a ditch or snowbank or similar use.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:18 AM
That helps. What's the quietest way to sit in the car for longer than 30+ seconds and get out? Dare I touch the door opener or should I unlock it with the remote?

Also, I'm guessing when you get in the car you should go ahead and put the key in the ignition. I apparently sat too long without and then tried to start it. It wouldn't start THEN all hell broke loose. Beeping, lights... The whole kine. Sensitive car.
You'd have to consult the instructions for the aftermarket alarm to figure out how it works. That's perhaps easier said than done with a used car.

The factory alarm only arms if the doors are locked with the key fob, and is disarmed when they are unlocked with it. You can unlock them and open a door and sit inside for hours without anything much happening, and you can turn the car off and wait to get out for hours without trouble. The only somewhat normal actions that cause problems are locking yourself in with the key fob and then opening a door manually or locking the car and then reaching in through an open window to unlock/open a door.