2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Strut Replacement Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Exclamation Strut Replacement Help Needed

Trying to rotate the knuckle back in and experiencing major difficulty. It feels like it is locked in at the point in the photo and will not budge inward. I'm worried I may have violated this warning from the shop manual: "Do not allow the knuckle to rotate too far outward. This may allow the driveshaft inboard joint come apart."

The strut is freely hanging from the top mount but I can't move or position anything close to where the second bolt can go through.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-08-2015, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member
Try a search as has happened to others many times when replacing springs.

Likely have to take the bottom bolt out and then keep manipulating until the axle pops back in. Some have resorted to cutting the rubber boot off to get it back in. THat then requires a trip to Honda to have a new one put on most likely.

Good luck

Old 02-25-2015, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
Here's how to fix it.

You need to cut the boot clamp ring on the inner boot and pull the boot off. Then it will be easy for you to see how to push those pesky balls back in place so the axle will go back. You will need a new cv band kit and a cv joint band tool. The tool has a round shaft with a slot. You put the band through the slot and turn the tool winding up the loose end of the band. These are maybe $20.00. Buy the tool! It's the best way to get a tight fit on that boot. Without a tight fit, you will lose grease and end up needing a new cv shaft. The tool is cheap insurance.

Next time put a jack under the rotor and pump enough pressure to hold the hub assembly tight. Don't take the jack away until the new strut is in.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
How did it go? You get it in without major surgery?

I did that once and it's true it's a major PITA!
I got it back in though with endless rotating and pushing worried about breaking something. finally got it in after I figured WTH? If I can't get it in, it has to goto shop anyways so not much different then if I break something!
Also I was about irate at that point so beat the piss out it with rubber deadblow while rotating with constant tension pushing it in via ratchet straps. It sounded like it broke with a snap but it actually popped back in.

Lesson learned I always use ratchet straps or blocks underneath to hold it in now.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:23 PM
I need help my axle popped out while changing suspension!
Managed to put them back but it sounds terrible! I have been asking around to different shops and they tell me the part is DISCONTINUED!!! Where can I buy the AXLE!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like you did not put it all back together right. Call Honda

Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 AM
When I'm driving around sometimes makes a strange sound coming from the middle of the car. its like a clunk sound.

Old 03-28-2015, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member
Sometimes? Maybe you are hearing the gas sloshing around. If you think you messed up when doing suspension then take it in to Honda and have them look it over before you do expensive damage.

What part is not longer made?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Sometimes? Maybe you are hearing the gas sloshing around. If you think you messed up when doing suspension then take it in to Honda and have them look it over before you do expensive damage.

What part is not longer made?
Thanks Brou for all the help I'm going to Honda Next week they will verify if the axles are under the warranty still!

Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carlos Inoa
When I'm driving around sometimes makes a strange sound coming from the middle of the car. its like a clunk sound.
yeah, you didn't match the splines into the housing; at this point I would recommend you go back to Honda dealer/ Likely you get no warranty help because you didn't reassemble the part correctly.
and next time put a scissors jack under the hub to keep the hub pushed in and not let the hub flip outward at the top which unseats the axle.
good luck.
ps the scissors jack isn't holding the car up just keeping the axle inserted.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Ok, So before i continue going to Honda now! to make sure... When I'm turning my car doesn't make any type of sounds or when driving on a good leveled road.
The clonking sound is when i go over a speed hump or driving over uneven roads... you agree it would be the driveshaft axle???
it did pop out when swiping the suspension.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carlos Inoa
Ok, So before i continue going to Honda now! to make sure... When I'm turning my car doesn't make any type of sounds or when driving on a good leveled road.
The clonking sound is when i go over a speed hump or driving over uneven roads... you agree it would be the driveshaft axle???
it did pop out when swiping the suspension.
That is not characteristic of a bad cv shaft. Taking a turn toward the side with the problem would make a worse noise because there is more stress on the joint then. But you are not complaining of that. I think it is more likely there is something loose in the strut assembly itself. Maybe you did not orient the spring correctly so that it sets firmly in its retainers. Also check the top nut that holds the strut in place. If that were loose, it would make a noise as you load and unload the suspension such as when going over bumps. Unfortunately, you have to remove the cowl to check that.

Expect a Honda place to take out any non Honda stuff you may have put in and replace it even if its the installation at fault, not the part. I would ask about that before bringing it to a dealer. It might be better to take it to an independent garage.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hspatz
That is not characteristic of a bad cv shaft. Taking a turn toward the side with the problem would make a worse noise because there is more stress on the joint then. But you are not complaining of that. I think it is more likely there is something loose in the strut assembly itself. Maybe you did not orient the spring correctly so that it sets firmly in its retainers. Also check the top nut that holds the strut in place. If that were loose, it would make a noise as you load and unload the suspension such as when going over bumps. Unfortunately, you have to remove the cowl to check that.
^ like stated above, sounds like you didn't tighten something up correctly on the struts. if it were your axle you'd more or less here clunking/clicking when you turned.