2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual Transmission - Strange acceleration and tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Manual Transmission - Strange acceleration and tire wear

Hey all, my 2010 Fit has been having a strange problem for the last few years that no one has really been able to figure out.

Upon initial acceleration, it gives a very strange skipping/stuttering sensation. I can't always reproduce it, which makes it tough to demonstrate to the dealer. It doesn't feel like the transmission itself, rather it feels like the problem lies somewhere between the transmission and the wheels. Indeed the tires themselves seem to be skipping unevenly across the pavement on acceleration. It feels like the wheels are getting unequal amounts of power delivered to them or something.

Not surprisingly, the tires themselves wore out super fast. Strangest of all was the wear pattern of the front tires. Inside and outside shoulders worn way down. See the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qxyc9xy3de01fi/Photo%20Dec%2017%2C%201%2056%2047%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xyb0swo2vuk4oq/Photo%20Dec%2017%2C%201%2056%2053%20PM.jpg?dl=0

I recently replaced the tires and got an alignment. No better--still stuttering/skipping on acceleration.

Basic facts:
80k miles - all new tires now
Regular alignments and tires kept inflated to spec
Sway bar end links replaced around 50,000 miles. Replaced again (though only partially worn out) just a few weeks ago.

Anyone have anything similar? Any ideas?

Last edited by Gabriel Fickett; 01-27-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Wrong number of miles
Old 01-27-2015, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
Are your front shocks TRASHED? Is your alignment out by a mile?

Originally Posted by Gabriel Fickett
Hey all, my 2010 Fit has been having a strange problem for the last few years that no one has really been able to figure out.

Upon initial acceleration, it gives a very strange skipping/stuttering sensation. I can't always reproduce it, which makes it tough to demonstrate to the dealer. It doesn't feel like the transmission itself, rather it feels like the problem lies somewhere between the transmission and the wheels. Indeed the tires themselves seem to be skipping unevenly across the pavement on acceleration. It feels like the wheels are getting unequal amounts of power delivered to them or something.

Not surprisingly, the tires themselves wore out super fast. Strangest of all was the wear pattern of the front tires. Inside and outside shoulders worn way down. See the photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qxyc9xy3d...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9xyb0swo2v...%20PM.jpg?dl=0

I recently replaced the tires and got an alignment. No better--still stuttering/skipping on acceleration.

Basic facts:
80k miles - all new tires now
Regular alignments and tires kept inflated to spec
Sway bar end links replaced around 50,000 miles. Replaced again (though only partially worn out) just a few weeks ago.

Anyone have anything similar? Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Meant to also mention that it's been aligned several times. Each time it's only found a hair out and put back in line.

I don't know about the shocks, but they certainly don't feel shot, and the dealer didn't say anything about them being messed up at the most recent system check.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
My fit has TERRIBLE wheel hop. The shocks are 104k old, and shot. My dealer didn't say anything either. Might ask them directly as well. Mine look fine, but they clearly arn't doing their job any more.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look into it and keep you posted.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Is your suspension unmodified, no lowering springs, stock wheels?

Were all wheel alignments checked by a Honda shop? Honda and other brands have some rather big tolerances.

A good alignment shop should be able to determine what is causing your problems.
Your tire wear looks like there is too much camber in the tread. The side wear looks like you have gross under-inflation or you have been trying to set some speed records around corners?

Has the differential been checked to see it it's locked up?

Do you have the read out camber, toe and castor from you last alignment?

Some of the above information may help use provide some more helpful suggestions.

Clifton

Old 01-28-2015, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
If "please perform an alignment" isn't fixing things, "please diagnose my problem" may get better results.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Was your previous car an older, cable driven throttle? I find a combination between the very wimpy throttle and the clutch delay valve makes the smooth operation of the first gears rather difficult. I find it challenging to drive the Fit s(taking off from a dead stop) lowly without dragging the clutch.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far. I'll go ahead and address some of the comments so far.

1. Suspension (and the rest of everything for that matter) is completely unmodified and stock.

2. The side wear does indeed look like gross underinflation, but I am certain that it is not. I regularly check my own tire pressure, and have the car regularly serviced--checked there too. I believe that the shoulder wear is related to the hopping/skipping/differentially-turning wheels or whatever it is upon acceleration. Interestingly enough, the acceleration oddities seem to be rear their head when accelerating at a slow-moderate rate, and seem less pronounced when accelerating very quickly. Also of note in regards to that, it seems that the problem is more pronounced when starting with the wheel turned than when accelerating straight ahead.

3. The differential has not been checked that I know of. Is that something that I could do myself?

4. You can find the read-out from my last alignment here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0edc4ngil...81%29.jpg?dl=0

The right rear is slightly out because of a very slight bend in the axle I believe, but the dealer didn't seem to think that that would be related to the problems I've been having. I don't know anything about it, but it does seem strange that that would cause problems with the front wheels when initially accelerating, but not at other times.

5. I tried the "please diagnose my problem" approach, and they said "it looks like you need an alignment"... I'm thinking of going back in, but I'm afraid to pony up the diagnostic fee just to have them come up with something else that isn't really the problem.

6. As for the type of manual, I really can't say. I do know this though, I had my current fit for 2 years before ever having any issues like this. I don't remember any precipitating event, but there could have been one.

Keep the suggestions coming! Let me know if any more info from me would help!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
5. I tried the "please diagnose my problem" approach, and they said "it looks like you need an alignment"... I'm thinking of going back in, but I'm afraid to pony up the diagnostic fee just to have them come up with something else that isn't really the problem.
Did you pay for diag in the first place? If you did, never go back because they're screwing you. If you didn't, pay them to diag the problem!

Meant to also mention that it's been aligned several times. Each time it's only found a hair out and put back in line.
If you only talked with the writer and he said "it looks like you need an alignment," then you got what you paid for- nothing but an alignment. The tech did his job and moved on with his life. If you paid them to figure out what the problem actually was, they didn't do it. When the tech noticed that it was that close to proper alignment he should have gone back to square one- and when the problem showed up again your first move should have been to call them.

You either need to give them a fair chance to identify the real problem or you need to go somewhere else- and don't forget to give them fair chance to do it.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:39 AM
This seems like a clutch issue...maybe you should have you synchro checked out. If the engine speed hits the gears without a smooth transition of energy, it would produce a "skipping" feeling or a jolt

Old 02-25-2015, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
Check the differential

3. The differential has not been checked that I know of. Is that something that I could do myself?
The differential allows each of the driven wheels to rotate at their own speed. If the differential does not work, the tires will tramp especially when going around corners. To test, jack up the front 2 wheels. Put the transmission in 1st gear, engine off. Turn one front wheel forward. If the other rotates backward, the differential works. If there is a lot of resistance, there is something wrong.

Has the transmission fluid been changed recently? If so, someone might have put in the wrong fluid. That could cause differential problems. Make sure only Honda manual transmission fluid is used.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 AM
I jacked up the front, and rotated one of the wheels. It wasn't met with any resistance, but there was maybe 3 degrees of free rotation of the wheel I was turning before the wheel on the other side engaged and started turning in the opposite direction. Is that normal?

As for the transmission fluid, if it's been changed (I don't recall) it would have been at the Honda dealer. I'll check when I get home.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
I jacked up the front, and rotated one of the wheels. It wasn't met with any resistance, but there was maybe 3 degrees of free rotation of the wheel I was turning before the wheel on the other side engaged and started turning in the opposite direction. Is that normal?

As for the transmission fluid, if it's been changed (I don't recall) it would have been at the Honda dealer. I'll check when I get home.
The reason I mentioned the transmission oil is that many manual transmissions take 90 weight gear oil, but the Fit takes oil more like 30 weight engine oil.

You proved that your differential is not locked up, but we do not know whether there is a problem only under load. This would be more difficult to test.