2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Maintenance for pre-owned Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:33 PM
Maintenance for pre-owned Fit?

Hello all,

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Fit Sport from Autonation Honda a few months back. I chose to have them remove the certification as to lower my monthly payments; although they already performed the certification inspection and all replacements (all fluids, new brakes/rotors, etc) as soon as they received the car. Yes, the sales manager was not too happy with my sales associate, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, the car had approx 12,800 miles on it and it now has about 16,700. The oil life reads 70%. I did not do any maintenance at 15,000 since I figured it was still too early to do so. My question is when should I jump back on the regular maintenance schedule? I'm guessing that I will change the oil when it's at 15-20%. Do I just wait until the maintenance minder alerts me?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Red face

Follow the user manual and you will be on the road for a while with no problems. :-)

I own a 2013 and I must say that I change the oil more than often because I am a little freak and I want the engine to stay in good shape.

As for the maintenance reminder "oil life", it seems that it's on a "distance preset" but I am not sure (don't quote me on this) and it just go down in a linear way. On my side, I've noticed that the oil is due when it reaches 40%, but it might depends on the car usage and all.

This test is very interesting about oil, but this is a whole different thread to talk of: AMSOIL Performance Testing Archives

Have fun with your new car! :^D

Old 12-08-2014, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by mindzeye
Hello all,

I bought a pre-owned 2013 Fit Sport from Autonation Honda a few months back. I chose to have them remove the certification as to lower my monthly payments; although they already performed the certification inspection and all replacements (all fluids, new brakes/rotors, etc) as soon as they received the car. Yes, the sales manager was not too happy with my sales associate, but that's a different story.

Anyhow, the car had approx 12,800 miles on it and it now has about 16,700. The oil life reads 70%. I did not do any maintenance at 15,000 since I figured it was still too early to do so. My question is when should I jump back on the regular maintenance schedule? I'm guessing that I will change the oil when it's at 15-20%. Do I just wait until the maintenance minder alerts me?

Thanks in advance.
Does removing the certification only mean you're getting less warranty? Was the car a demo car or loaner? I wouldn't worry so much about the car. Seems like you got some low mileage on that. My first oil change on my '12 wasn't until 6k miles. My 2nd oil change wasn't until i was at 14k miles. Sounds like you're car is on its 2nd or 3rd oil change if the original owner followed the MM. You are absolutely right in following the MM. Wait til it reaches 15% and get your oil changed. Right now my MM is trending oil changes at almost every 8k miles. Yours will vary from mine. Some people on here have their MM indicate at ~10k miles.

It is by no means on a "distance preset." The dealer will try to get you back in every 3k miles or 5k miles. Don't believe it. Follow your MM. Oil life depends on alot of unnamed factors even FFers still can't figure out. How many engine starts. Daily commute. Ambient temp. Oil type. Who knows. One thing is true though. I may be getting 8k per oil change. others get 10k. others get 4k. I put in synthetic for the first time. Let's see how many miles i get from that.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:02 AM
For most everything, the maintenance minder is the regular schedule according to the owner's manual. Just follow it and be happy.

There are a few non-milage-related items and other things that the maintenance minder doesn't cover. The biggest of these are brake fluid, which should be changed every 3 or so years regardless of milage or lack thereof; and if you go for a year without the maintenance minder calling for an oil change, you should change it anyhow. These are listed in the manual.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 AM
5 Year Member
I believe the maintenance minder is based on engine revs and cold starts. I don't think it's has much to do with temperature and I know for a fact that it doesn't take in account time. If you did an oil change and left your car parked for 10 years it would still read 100% oil life.

Since you are probably driving the car, simply follow the maintenance minder and change the oil between 30 and 0% or at least once a year. The wrench symbol (maintenance reminder light) comes up at 15% oil life. If you're are running non synthetic mineral oil, I wouldn't let it get too close to 15% but I personally chose to run synthetic so I don't worry about it too much.

I you are handy with a wrench you could try and tighten the rear drum brakes. They were too lose on my car and tightening them marginally improved the braking.

Old 12-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Administrator
I bought my GE as a CPO with only 22,000 miles

I did not trust that any service was done and couldn't verify anything so I changed the oil and filter right away so that I could follow my own intervals. I would suggest the same thing and reset the maintenance reminder to a 100% indicator

While you are at it you might as well replace your in-cabin air filter or at least inspect it. Mine was really gross and with all the freeway driving that I do I decided it was time to replace anyway. You can also check your engine air filter and replace as needed.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by mindzeye
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.
Stay on top of the oil service and transmission oil service. drain and fill @ 30k and when you get to 60k do a trans flush. ok many will argue its not needed but its preventative maintenance.

good luck and have lots of gr8 miles on it.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Waiz
replace your in-cabin air filter or at least inspect it..

I didnt do that yet

Old 12-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by racer986jec
I didnt do that yet

I just replaced mine (literally 5 mins ago)

10,000 miles and it was filthy