2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Passenger Map Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 06:27 PM
Passenger Map Light Not Working

2012 Honda Fit Sport.

Okay, so here's what happened. Tried installing LED interior lights. Replaced dome light: it worked. Replaced driver's map light: it worked. Replaced passenger map light: shorted a fuse. Found a thread on here for that exact situation, replaced the fuse, replaced the LED lights, and once I got to the passenger map light, the same thing happened all over again. Replaced the fuse again, and now the passenger map light only works when I push the button in, hard, and hold it in. It no longer toggles. Also, that strangely only works when the cover is off and I push the button underneath with my finger; pushing the button through the light cover as normal, even when pushing hard, does not work.
Anyone have any ideas on what the problem (and solution) could be? Or whether this would void my bumper to bumper warranty?

Thanks!

Last edited by Retroleum; 11-29-2014 at 09:11 AM. Reason: New details
Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 AM
It sounds as though something is amiss in the switch for the passenger map light. Possibly (although not entirely likely IMHO) it's due to some difference in the shape of the LED bulb; have you tried to see if the old bulb works normally?

It may be something in the light unit (a bit of metal, forming the switch) has gotten out of position, or it may be that some part or the entire light unit needs replacement. You'd probably have to take it out to see what's going on. It's not as though the map light is a highly complicated and technologically advanced mechanism.

You have not have voided your warranty. The dealer may give you grief if you ask them to replace the map light under warranty (but a good/nice dealer probably wouldn't even do that unless it was obvious that the [defective?] LED bulb actually caused it to break), but nothing else should be affected. In general, any aftermarket accessory won't void the warranty (by federal law), but damage actually caused by aftermarket parts or accessories is not covered.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 AM
I am going to have my mechanic uncle look at it this weekend. The old bulb produces the same result (has to be held in to stay on instead of toggling on/off). This happened after the LED bulb shorted the corresponding fuse twice in a row. I found an instructional video for the LEDs online (I didn't even think one was necessary originally...) and it says to cover the back of the LEDs with something to prevent shorting. Whoops. Anyway, the blown fuse is now replaced (twice), it's just the weird loss of toggle functionality in the one light out of the three I upgraded to LED. I'm thinking the hardwiring itself must have been damaged somehow when the fuse was blown twice, but I don't know anything about electrical wiring and such to even know if that is possible. It's good to know I haven't voided the warranty with the LED bulbs, although if the short actually damaged the hardwiring or something as I suspect, then I suppose that would be the damage that's not covered, huh?