2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Problem Starting

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:11 AM
Problem Starting

Hi folks.

I am wondering if maybe there is someone out there who has experienced the same problems as I am struggling with now.

I own an '08 Fit and for about the last six months, when starting after the car has sat for a while (12+ hours) it has had some difficulty after shifting into drive or reverse. RPM will drop down to anywhere between 200-700 and that car sounds as though it is about to stall. After a few minutes of driving everything returns to normal.

In the summer months it was not an issue, but the colder out weather had got the worse this issue gets. As long as I leave the car to warm up for 10 minutes or so before travelling there is no problem whatsoever. This evening though I jumped in the car to go to work, started the engine and gave it a few seconds, and as soon as I put it into reverse to back out...

Silence. The car appeared to stall without any drop in RPM. It simply went from a normal parked idle to dead. The battery and oil lights were both lit up on the dashboard. The car started up again without an issue, but was struggling to get going both backwards and in drive. As is normally the case, after a few minutes of normal driving the car was fine.

I've been to the mechanic and been told already that the battery is fine. I've brought up with him the subject of a valve adjustment and he refuses to so much as look into it. We're talking six trips to the garage in the last five months to try and deal with this issue. Obviously I'm not a "car guy".

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as it's not even winter yet and I'm not in a position where I can go to leave for work and have my car inoperable. >_>

Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds more like the torque converter or your tranny. maybe check transmission oil to start. might be low, or using wrong viscosity.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Sounds like the fuel mixture is not rich enough to run the engine when cold. I assume there is no check engine light on? By the way, this does not sound like a transmission or battery issue, but rather a fuel mapping issue.