2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

'13 Sport MT update

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 12:18 PM
'13 Sport MT update

Hey there- I'm ~15 months and 7K miles into my Fit ownership and thought I'd give my $.02. I've really come to love the car. I came from a larger, faster car (and about twice the cost; '02 Maxima 6sp) and was just looking for a cheap but reliable commuter car and wasn't expecting much.

Biggest testimonial - I've been on the hunt for a dream car from my childhood - a late-80s BMW 635 CSI and test drove one the other day. This was a low miles, well maintained (~$50K when new, ~$100K in today's money) 5-sp model that I drove for the better part of an hour in every driving situation. I hopped right from that into my little Fit... and loved it far more than the BMW. In fact, the BMW was terrible in comparison. Yes it shattered my childhood dream but reminded me how nicely the Fit drives (and saved my wallet from the known money pit that the BMW is- I was prepared for that though).

Really brilliant shifter and handling. As I've said before, I would have paid $3-5K more for more options and HP but it is such a joy to drive.

Mostly around town driving I'm averaging 32 MPG without trying. Loads of space behind rear seat (and for the other recent thread, car seats for my 4 & 6 year old fit just fine).

I got the Aries/3D front and back liners and love them. Bought quite a few of the OEM options online from College Hill Honda and very pleased, particularly the center arm rest. I haven't been following how the '15 model is but I like the looks and Japan build of the GE8 model.

Still wish there were a bolt-on HP booster but I've come to keep the revs up and unless I'm on the highway with lots of weight, the power is adequate.

Patrick

Old 11-12-2014, 05:13 PM
My 12 5speed has 83k on it, lots of driving 75% highway, only thing ive changed matinence wise besides engine oil changes have been wiper inserts one time, tires at 55k, and trans fluid drain and fill. Still on the original brakes! I love it too cant beat its reliability and low cost of ownership

Old 11-13-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
I'm approx. 7 mos., 6k mi., into ownership of a '13 Base Fit MT that I bought new.

Originally Posted by pordy
Hey there- I'm ~15 months and 7K miles into my Fit ownership and thought I'd give my $.02. . . . I hopped right from that into my little Fit... and loved it far more than the BMW. In fact, the BMW was terrible in comparison. Yes it shattered my childhood dream but reminded me how nicely the Fit drives (and saved my wallet from the known money pit that the BMW is- I was prepared for that though).
I formerly owned an '08 Base Fit MT. Totally bitchin'. Perhaps a bit more raw in terms of power and more under-sprung than the '13.

Really brilliant shifter and handling.
Ditto.

Still wish there were a bolt-on HP booster but I've come to keep the revs up and unless I'm on the highway with lots of weight, the power is adequate.
VTEC makes me happy. The power-to-weight ratio on this car is working for me, too.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:52 AM
I think I've hit vtec twice, I try to be as nice to the transmission as I can I piss so many people off on acceleration

Old 11-14-2014, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rvd9431
I think I've hit vtec twice, I try to be as nice to the transmission as I can I piss so many people off on acceleration

I feel the same way about having sex with my wife. Only done it twice. I don't want to piss her off.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
I feel the same way about having sex with my wife. Only done it twice. I don't want to piss her off.
You don't want to piss off the neighbors behind the wall? Or her father in law?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by rvd9431
You guys that say stuff like this absolutely KILL me. You really think Honda would build a transmission or hell even internals that I-VTEC or even VTEC engines can't handle when they rev to 7000rpm and higher? Really? After the recommended break-in time of 500mi staying out of VTEC (in our case under 5500rpm) you drive a honda like you stole it. Honda engines make little power before VTEC but after the VTEC x-over the power comes on and power builds for days until time to shift. Shift just b4 fuel cut-off and the revs stay on the hot cam pulling again for days. Guys, loyal Honda owners like myself will tell you. Honda builds their cars for this. I met people through my 16yrs driving Hondas that have NEVER taken there cars into VTEC EVER. Back the early 00's I drove this guy's 99' Civic EX 5 speed which he shifted at 4000rpm. The D16y8 in that car made a fun 127hp. VTEC in that engine happened around the same rpm the Fits L15 would. I reved the motor to 5000rpm, feathered out the clutch giving a little wheel spin, and floored it. The big VTEC surge happened which shock him like ones business but then redline happened and power shifted into 2nd barking the tires then let off after 60mph. I did this. On an on ramp getting on I-4 wwwhen I was In college in central Florida. He had no clue the Civic EX did 0-60 in 7.9s and 1/4 mile in 16.1s.

And my point is that Honda expects owner to drive this. It's the power band. Hondas task was to make an engine that played it's own again cars turbod. Honda went the revs approach. The turbo competition was shifting at 6000rpm while the Honda is still in its power band still below it's peak. So have fun. Drive the mess out of the car but if the engine ask for an oil, listen. No oil no vtec.

If you have any questions PM or ask here and I wanna be clear. No question is a dumb. I'd rather you as than risk damaging your pride on wheels :-).

Last edited by Desmond Lamar MacRae; 11-15-2014 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
^^What Des said.

Life begins at VTEC.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
You don't want to piss off the neighbors behind the wall? Or her father in law?

Nah. She's just mean as a snake, that's all.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
OP, there is a bolt-on power adder for the GE...the Sprintex S/C.

Old 11-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
^^What Des said.

Life begins at VTEC.
You know youve got a new friend when they call me Des for short. People used to ask me if i had a nickname. I'm like no but my buddies call me Des anyway...lol.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 PM
a late-80s BMW 635 CSI and test drove one the other day.
I had a Euro spec 633 with the M-factory body kit and small bumpers. Dog leg 5speed. Fun car to own but that thing chugged on the gas. Lesson learned M6 or nothing.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
I've noticed both my 10 & 13, if you drive them easy, they are like a sad little hamster locked in a cage. If you don't fear the 6800 rev limit they are like a wild wolverine light, tough and aggressive. I think the car was meant to be pushed or at least thats how it feels to me.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wzlfit
I've noticed both my 10 & 13, if you drive them easy, they are like a sad little hamster locked in a cage. If you don't fear the 6800 rev limit they are like a wild wolverine light, tough and aggressive. I think the car was meant to be pushed or at least thats how it feels to me.
That "sad little hamster" image really choked me up, dude. It almost made me pause before going back to flogging the snot out of my Fit and redlining through every gear. Almost.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
keep on flogging

Old 01-02-2015, 09:16 PM
My '13 Base AT has almost 19,000 miles on it and I bought it last June. I use it to drive my 15 month old grandson between his parents and our home. It is close to a 300 mile loop.
My mpg averages about 37 and I continue to be amazed by what will fit inside.
It reminds me of the little Toyota pickups I drove as a young man. A quality automobile that almost pays you to drive.
I wish it held a few more gallons of fuel and there was a power door lock switch on the passenger door.
I think it has made me a better driver. I plug the phone up to listen to music instead of talking or texting. I take the back roads where I can putter along at 55, deep in thought.
I really hope they get the Mexico factory together-I'm afraid I'm going to need another one in 5 or 6 years.
The Fit is an amazing ride especially with the windows tinted.