2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM
2010 Fit Sport

Check engine light came on, showing a misfire code as well as a few others that i can remember right off hand. I will have to check again. However, the car runs fine. Traction light also comes on at the same time. I reset the codes and the lights stayed off for a day but came back on. Anyone had similar experience?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
What mods have you done? I am guessing you gave done some.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
No mods.

There are no mods that i am aware of. Bought the car used 2 years ago.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
I would start with coil packs in regards to the misfire.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Coil Packs

I thought about that as well. I cant tell that it is actually misfiring though but i will check.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
maybe related?

Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
Well I have good and bad news. The good news is that the CEL and VSA warning lights are off and it really wouldn't cost much to fix. The bad news is that the dealer got $300 and I ended up fixing it myself.

I had the dealer read the code and it noted #2 cyl misfire ($65 diagnosis fee). They said it was the coil pack ($165) that they didn't have so I had to come back (2 trips). I came back and for an additional fee ($57) they swapped out the bad coil with a new one. Lucky for me I told them that I wanted the old one. They handed it to me while I was paying and out the door I went.

When I got home I looked at it and it was caked with carbon and smelled of gasoline. In 2 days the CEL was back on. I was busy at work but eventually stopped at a local car parts place that reads codes for free. They said misfires in #2 & #3 cyl. #2 cyl had the brand new $165 coil pack - Bad already?

That got me thinking and I took everything apart and it ain't easy getting #3 and #4. It is akin to "noddling" for catfish because you can't see anything that you are doing. Have to have a good imagination to visualize and it is all left-handed (reach in from the passenger-side of the engine - '11 Sport).

Guess what, I could un-thread #2 & #3 cyl spark plugs by hand - no wrench required to start the process. I bought the car new, Mar-2011, and never messed with the coil packs or spark plugs, so I have to believe that they weren't tightened at the factory to the same spec as #1 & #4, which I did need a wrench and some effort to unseat.

I put the original coil back in to the same location where it was "failing". I started the car and it sounds better than ever. Within 2 miles of driving, the CEL went out.

It was a poor factory install of the spark plugs all along. This would have been a pretty easy and cheap fix but apparently the dealer / mechanic wrongly assumed that it couldn't be loose spark plugs but it was.

Remember OBDII can point you in a direction but you have to "think" and test everything yourself, like seeing if the spark plugs are loose.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Yep going to check plugs and coil pack.

Still wonder why the traction control light keeps coming on though.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by myfitsucks
Check engine light came on, showing a misfire code as well as a few others that i can remember right off hand. I will have to check again. However, the car runs fine. Traction light also comes on at the same time. I reset the codes and the lights stayed off for a day but came back on. Anyone had similar experience?
If you could be specific about the codes it would be helpful. Traction light more than likely the result of your other problem. If you fix engine problem, traction light will go out. If you want to analyze your engine miss more fully, use $06 mode of your OBDII scanner and look at engine miss data cylinder by cylinder. If you are using Torque, then it is called "Test Results." This is very helpful because you can see whether a condition is just barely bad enough to turn on the MIL or really bad. It is the mode $06 data that your car uses to know whether to turn on the MIL. With this you could tell if all cylinders are missing, but only some are bad enough to set a code, for example.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:21 AM
coil pack and spark plugs seem to be the culprit. Kinda figured that but the traction control light was throwing me off.