2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Accidentally drove off of a curb

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Accidentally drove off of a curb

Last night I went somewhere unfamiliar and accidentally drove off a curb (6-8 inches) as I was exiting a parking lot.

Completely feel stupid about it. It was dark and I wasn't really familiar with the area. I thought the parking lot was flush to the road, but it was raised and there was a drop. I heard a loud clank as i drove over it.

I checked for noise, vibrations, etc. Nothing feels off. Highway driving is fine as well.

Should I be good to go, or should I get the under body looked at?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
I'd get on my back and take a look. Any thing loose or leaking should be seen to. Scrapes and dents are no big deal.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-01-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
Depending on what actually happened... various things could happen to the Fit.

If only one wheel when off (front one at that), then your front sub-frame and the lower control arm (the part that attaches to the wheel from the sub-frame) will have hit the ground. The engine and transmission will be fine and not touch the ground. I know this because this is what happened to me. I'd keep an eye on the engine mounts near the affected wheel, as I sometimes wonder if this caused the mount mine to eventually fail.

If a rear wheel when off the curb, then you might've dented the center bracket that's used to lift the entire rear end of the Fit. That assumes the trunk had enough stuff in it to weigh it down. Because as unladen, the back is very light with a heavy front so the back won't get enough momentum to slam down. Check the muffler and its mounts if that corner went down.

Now, if TWO wheels go down... that's a little bit different. If it's two wheels on one side, then there will be a ton of scraping on all plastic between the front and rear end (the sub-frame and bracket will also be scraped).

If it's both front or both rear, then you will need to check for body frame damage. If you've ever seen a boat snap in half, the damage will be along those lines, but far less severe. If you somehow bounced UP before coming down onto the curb, then the body could bend. Otherwise, you should only see dents in a pattern matching the curb.

Last edited by Goobers; 09-01-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member
LOL. I did the same thing a couple of years ago in a snow covered lot.

Totally missed the driveway and drove out over the curb. When the front wheels dropped there was this cringing thud as the bottom of the car drop to the curb. It was low enough it did not hang me up and continued to drive off it. Later I had it up on a hoist and there was no damaged whatsoever. I did keep an eye on my gauges just in case I was losing oil.

You should be OK but yes crawl under and have a look.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i would put the car on ramps and see how extensive the damage is.... maybe it was a just a scratch, who knows.
even if just a scratch, i would clean it and spray some black enamel to prevent rust.

GL