2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Tires and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Tires and Brakes

Hey Guys, I have been reading a lot of reviews on the Contis DW and Hawk Pads.

Was wondering if it is worth it to get all 4 tires Contis or wait till the tires are bald. My car currently has 32k Mi and Have a ways to go before a change.

Another question is should I wait until to change my pads or should I jus switch over to the HPS .

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Personally if you are on the stock dunlops I would change them out if you can. Tires play an important role not only in cornering ability but in braking. A nimble vehicle with good braking performance is a safe one in my opinion. I just switched my stock tires out with only 3.5K on the vehicle and I don't regret it one bit. Huge difference. You can always sell the stock tires and make a few bucks.

The pads are more difficult to answer. It is unlikely that they will improve braking power as your tires are likely the limiting factor. What they might improve on is initial bite/feel and fade resistance. Whether these are important to you depend on your goals for the vehicle. Personally I feel the pedal is a bit mushy in stock form so I may invest in the near future.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if your stock tires are actually nearing the end of their useful life at 32K miles. While a lot depends upon the road and driving conditions you experience, that's probably around average (or high average) for the stock tires. On the other hand, some have reported getting a lot more miles out of them—but I was certainly not one of them.

I assume you realize it already, but just in case you don't, if your tires are worn down to the wear bars, it's time to replace them. If you do any winter driving and they're getting close to needing replacement, it's not a bad idea to replace them before winter rather than slip and slide and then have to replace them just after winter.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I live in Sunny socal (no Snow for sure). The tire still has a bit of meat left but the wear bar is becoming more visible.