2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Front seats un-Fit for long trips

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Front seats un-Fit for long trips

They aren't that bad for short trips, but on long drives my butt gets very sore from sitting so long. I recently took a 700 mile trip, and boy was I sore long before I arrived after almost 12 hours! Specifically my right rear end from pressure on the seat. Actually sat on a pillow for most of this trip, helped a little, but a poor solution for the problem. Simply not enough cushioning, ergonomics not that great. No seat adjustments helped.

Thinking of having the fronts reupholstered with new foam and possibly switching to a fabric surface instead of the vinyl. What can be done to improve the seat comfort beyond this, ideas?. I don't have cruise (base '09 Fit) but that wasn't bothering me like this was. Sooooo uncomfortable.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Did you get out to stretch at any point?

Old 06-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Do you carry a wallet in your back pocket?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member
Three things -

1 - remove wallet from your azz

2 - add a couple washers on front seat bolts to raise seat front. One or more washers.

3 - add spring to gas pedal to stiffen it up so you ar enot holding foot up all the time. This was major problem for me.

Spring - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...rn-spring.html

Old 06-22-2014, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Three things -

2 - add a couple washers on front seat bolts to raise seat front. One or more washers.

3 - add spring to gas pedal to stiffen it up so you ar enot holding foot up all the time. This was major problem for me.

rest the heal of your foot on the floor and the toes/ball of your foot on the pedal. It's perfectly sprung requiring very little pressure. Move the seat farther back to facilitate this. The wheel telescopes so it's within comfortable reach.

But yeah, the seats are a butt-bind after 8 hours on the road. I want seats that kiss my butt; the Fit's aren't it.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:27 AM
5 Year Member
I find the seats quite comfortable. But on any long trip you must stop and walk about every couple of hours or so. Makes long trips much more enjoyable. Sitting for long periods of time is no good period.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
I'm looking into options to make the seats more comfortable too. I'd like some lumbar support options.

1. I found a 3-in-1 heat/cool/lumbar support option on ebay for $50 bucks. I ordered it and will test it out this week or next. The lumbar massage looks cool.

2. Buckwheat cylinder shape pillow. I bought one of these off ebay and I like it, just a little too big for it to comfortably be behind me. I might have bought the neck version. Didn't want to open it up and rebuild it to suit my needs but I keep it in the car and use as arm rest.

3. What I'm using right now is just a rolled up kitchen towel. I get pretty good comfort out of this. If the 3-in-1 doesn't work what I'm going to do is get the appropriate kind of towel and roll it up, then i'll hang it from the headrest so I can place it in the desired spot. Also thought about a small section of wood beads placed in lumbar area too.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you find any cool options.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I just got back from a long trip myself (drove out to Quebec for ROCK FEST!!!)
was about 7 hours stopping every 2 or so hours for a stretch break
it wasnt so bad for me.
cant wait till next year to do it again.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
3. What I'm using right now is just a rolled up kitchen towel. I get pretty good comfort out of this. If the 3-in-1 doesn't work what I'm going to do is get the appropriate kind of towel and roll it up, then i'll hang it from the headrest so I can place it in the desired spot. Also thought about a small section of wood beads placed in lumbar area too.

I'm using this too. My chiropractor told me to take a long tube sock (like goes up to my knee) and stuff a towel in it, and that did the trick. I was having all kinds of back pain, no matter what I did, and the sock worked. Have driven for 2 hours and no problem.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Refused
I just got back from a long trip myself (drove out to Quebec for ROCK FEST!!!)
was about 7 hours stopping every 2 or so hours for a stretch break
it wasnt so bad for me.
cant wait till next year to do it again.
The Fit's great for road trips. I went from Toronto to Ottawa at the beginning of May and loved the open highways and of course the rest stops

Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
The seats on the Fit is not comfortable for everybody.
I find it to be reasonably comfortable. Last year I took my Fit for a 3400 mile trip and had no issues with back pains or anything.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM
5 Year Member
I always store my wallet in the top glovebox, pockets empty. And I do stop at rest areas and walk to stretch, and at fuel stops. But just the length of time having to sit is not good on these seats, no matter what. I'm average size, 175# 5'8". I did use a soft bed pillow, made it somewhat better. Around town it's OK. Thinking about another couple of posters mentioning Civic Si seats, and Recaro. Try not to be extreme with it, but certainly want a softer more supportive ride that doesn't leave me sore on long drives.

Last edited by gkitf16; 06-23-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Here's the other post thread I mentioned:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45765

Those Recaros look really nice!

Old 06-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm looking to pick up a Fit for my daily driver to replace my 16 year old Civic, and love the fit for its mix of small size, great gas mileage, and impressive cargo capacity. I sat in a GE8 at a dealership, and noticed that the driver seat didn't slide back as far as I would like, but I didn't pay much attention to the density of the foam used in the seats, or the lumbar support.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ijm5012
Thanks for pointing this out. I'm looking to pick up a Fit for my daily driver to replace my 16 year old Civic, and love the fit for its mix of small size, great gas mileage, and impressive cargo capacity. I sat in a GE8 at a dealership, and noticed that the driver seat didn't slide back as far as I would like, but I didn't pay much attention to the density of the foam used in the seats, or the lumbar support.
That's really all it needs is lumbar adj. & a bit of tilt for the base. Better foam and bucket design wouldn't hurt either.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by gkitf16
That's really all it needs is lumbar adj. & a bit of tilt for the base. Better foam and bucket design wouldn't hurt either.
Yeah, I'm gonna pop over to my local Honda dealership here this week and sit in one to get a good feel for the ergonomics, possibly even take it for a test drive. They only have 2 2013 GE8's in stock, so I better get over there quick before they're gone!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Three things -

^^ wat black3sr said. i can go in my MT GE 200+ miles non-stop and back
another 200 miles non-stop same day with absolutely NO fatigue or pain thanks
to black3sr's recommendations.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
Got the seat cover and seems pretty neat. Looking forward to using it on my drives into work. Some immediate things I noticed:
1. Good static lumbar support as-is, even without the massage feature turned on. Don't expect a shiatsu style massage but it does buzz around on Low/High.
2. Cooling (Fan) actually works pretty good with more flow than my old Lexus LS430. Could feel a nice breeze in the lower back side :-) Fan motor is pretty loud so if you have it on High you probably need to crank up the music.
3. I haven't tried the Heat setting because it's just too hot outside. It doesn't use the fan/motor so no worries about the noise.
4. Made in China but the packaging has both English and Japanese so hopefully it will last awhile.

Remote control and pouch is a nice touch

Seat fabric matches the Sport interior pretty well. You can see the lumbar support at the bottom, pretty firm.

Fan motor dangling

Not too bad! You also get a little lift up toward the front cushion due to the padded surrounding.

Last edited by carboy; 06-26-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Even after 3 back surgeries and half a decade in the Army, my Fit seats are still feeling comfortable to me.

Even the slightest seat adjustment might make a positive improvement. Play with the seat a bit. lean it back a tiny bit and move it slightly closer or something.

I havent ever owned a Honda where the seats were not up to feeling good. Loved the Recaros factory in my Del Sol