2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How Bad is wind/road noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has been fine. It is a little noisy, but way quieter than my 97 Civic was. I drive mine long distance regularly. The longest I ever did in a day was 750 mile in 12.5 hours and that was a non issue. That said, they are not quiet like a luxury car or a VW.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:10 PM
'13 Fit not that loud

I'm still shopping. If I don't by a car soon I may have to go on special medication.
A Nissan Note is LOUD even in the next to the highest trim grade. And the seats don't lay anywhere near flat.
Almost bought a '13 Fit Base AT this week it was black too hot not my color.
Drove it on the interstate and was amazed that it had much more pep than a Prius C and was quite too.
I'm retired and plan on driving the Fit for many years as a second car to my wife's Accord.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 AM
My '12 Sport AT with stock tires is fairly road noise-y at about 23K in. It's a typical small car to my mind, and the fact that it's a hatchback doesn't help. It's a great car but the pavement where I live is loud in general. When there is newer pavement, it's quite pleasant. Even on noisier pavement, if the car is full of people and stuff, it's noticeably quieter.

I don't think the engine noise is at all bad.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by goConcrcete
Almost bought a '13 Fit Base AT this week it was black too hot not my color.
Drove it on the interstate and was amazed that it had much more pep than a Prius C and was quite too.

My fiancé has a Prius c. When he drives my Fit, we all get whiplash because he's not used to the pep it has. When I drive his Prius, we all think we are going to die a fiery death because it won't get out of the way of other vehicles...

Old 06-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by x_25
Mine has been fine. It is a little noisy, but way quieter than my 97 Civic was. I drive mine long distance regularly. The longest I ever did in a day was 750 mile in 12.5 hours and that was a non issue. That said, they are not quiet like a luxury car or a VW.
That sounds reasonable. Furthest I've gone in a day was 1,000 miles. That said, it was obviously a lot less comfortable in my Focus than other cars I've done it in. 1,000 miles a day in anything sucks though.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by darkspork
That sounds reasonable. Furthest I've gone in a day was 1,000 miles. That said, it was obviously a lot less comfortable in my Focus than other cars I've done it in. 1,000 miles a day in anything sucks though.
I came from an 08 tl and on highway doing 70-75 its almost as quiet as my 13' FIT. In 12' honda put thicker glass up front, more insulation on the floor, amongst other things. My advice is drive a 09-11 @70mph followed by a 12-13. Have someone sit in back and carry a conversation. Keep us posted.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
What did you say, i couldn't hear you!!

A VW GTI is a much more refined car than the Fit. I used to have one, and one thing I loved about it was how for a moderately priced car it had a luxury car feel. Of course after 10 years the engine burned oil and the transmission began chewing itself up so it had a resale value less than a beat up vintage Schwinn.

In comparison the Fit is sometimes appallingly noisy. I have a section of highway on my commute that was recently repaved. During that 300 yard section it's fine, the rest of the time it sounds like sitting in a back window seat on a 737. So if you live in an automotive fantasy land of 100% newly paved roads you're set. If you live in the SF Bay area a quite ride is not a Fit strength.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy the same car again (unless I could get it in blue) but I am looking forward to these tire wearing out. In the past when buying tires, noise wasn't a thing I even considered. Dry/Wet/Snow performance, and longevity have each been considerations. Next time it will be 90% about noise. Unfortunately since the car is not that powerful I fear these tires will last forever.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
My 2007 has road noise but not near as bad as I thought it would have. To me it's quieter than expected for a compact hatch design. I hear my engine more than anything else.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ukemike
A VW GTI is a much more refined car than the Fit. I used to have one, and one thing I loved about it was how for a moderately priced car it had a luxury car feel. Of course after 10 years the engine burned oil and the transmission began chewing itself up so it had a resale value less than a beat up vintage Schwinn.

In comparison the Fit is sometimes appallingly noisy. I have a section of highway on my commute that was recently repaved. During that 300 yard section it's fine, the rest of the time it sounds like sitting in a back window seat on a 737. So if you live in an automotive fantasy land of 100% newly paved roads you're set. If you live in the SF Bay area a quite ride is not a Fit strength.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy the same car again (unless I could get it in blue) but I am looking forward to these tire wearing out. In the past when buying tires, noise wasn't a thing I even considered. Dry/Wet/Snow performance, and longevity have each been considerations. Next time it will be 90% about noise. Unfortunately since the car is not that powerful I fear these tires will last forever.
What year is yours? If not 12-13 then there lies your problem. Also goes the displacement difference of the GTI vs the FIT's. You cant compare that car to one 10k cheaper. Golf/GTI is in class with Civic/SI, Mazda 3/Speed 3, & WRX wagon. Not the an economy subcompact like the FIT.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Based on his post, it seems he had a late Mk4/Early Mk5 GTi, I'd say comparing a 10 year old hot hatch with a new econohatch is a very fair comparison.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Based on his post, it seems he had a late Mk4/Early Mk5 GTi, I'd say comparing a 10 year old hot hatch with a new econohatch is a very fair comparison.
No. What year fit not GTI

Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
According to his old posts he has a 2013 Base.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
According to his old posts he has a 2013 Base.
The base's t-rated tires would be louder.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
What year is yours? If not 12-13 then there lies your problem. Also goes the displacement difference of the GTI vs the FIT's. You cant compare that car to one 10k cheaper. Golf/GTI is in class with Civic/SI, Mazda 3/Speed 3, & WRX wagon. Not the an economy subcompact like the FIT.

The only reason I made the comparison was because the OP has a GTI and seems concerned about the road noise difference between the two cars. So I figured since I had a GTI and have a Fit now, that we had a common point of reference.

and y'all are correct. I have a '13 Base.

Clearly I get that comparing the GTI and Fit is apples and oranges but while the absolute limit of handling is lower in the Fit the handling characteristics of the two cars are similar and the Fit actually has less body roll. It's a real pleasure to toss through the tight twisties. I think the Fit's handling is nicely proportional to the car's power.

Last edited by Ukemike; 06-16-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member
I've taken our '09 MT all over the country (80k miles, almost all on the highway). There is no way to sugar-coat the noise level. We did a highway test drive before we bought the car, but it is rare to find an MT that you can test. At least it was in '09. The AT we drove kept downshifting with the cruise on whenever we drove up a rise on the highway. Drove me nuts.

The MT runs at a higher rpm, of course, and the engine is kind of buzzy. It's the tires, though, that are the real culprit. I'm on my third set—Yokohamas, now—and there is much less road noise and the car feels much more sure-footed. I would not have thought a tire change could make that much difference.

I think the Fit has a cross-country comfort problem (noise, seats, audio), but that's the sacrifice for lightweight, versatile, and cheap to buy and own.

I bet the '15s are a lot more comfortable.

Cheers.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by SportMTNavi
I've taken our '09 MT all over the country (80k miles, almost all on the highway). There is no way to sugar-coat the noise level. We did a highway test drive before we bought the car, but it is rare to find an MT that you can test. At least it was in '09. The AT we drove kept downshifting with the cruise on whenever we drove up a rise on the highway. Drove me nuts.

The MT runs at a higher rpm, of course, and the engine is kind of buzzy. It's the tires, though, that are the real culprit. I'm on my third set—Yokohamas, now—and there is much less road noise and the car feels much more sure-footed. I would not have thought a tire change could make that much difference.

I think the Fit has a cross-country comfort problem (noise, seats, audio), but that's the sacrifice for lightweight, versatile, and cheap to buy and own.

I bet the '15s are a lot more comfortable.

Cheers.
You make me happy again that I bought a 2.5 gen Fit. The 2nd gen is way noisier by comparison. The updates Honda did a great job to reduce the interior noise for 12'. Go drive one. Just to compare.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
I've spent a fair amount of time in both an '09 and a '12...I really didn't notice that big a difference.

Even my '08 was never really any louder than the '12, and that was with either a Spoon N1, Greddy Evo 2 or RS*R C&K.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have a '10 Sport MT. I think the Fit is fairly noisy. The engine just buzzes along at legal highway speed. Tire noise gets into the cabin adding to the buzzy engine.
Wind noise is not that bad, but I really hate driving it in windy conditions. I feel like I'm going to be blown off the road. Can't really complain for a $16K car new.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
I have an '09 with an MT and currently have Yokohoma Ascend Avids, which are quieter than the OEM Bridgestones. I agree with the majority of the posts here. The rear seat is loud and hard to have a conversation; the front seat is possible, but not whisper quiet. The road noise is loudest, engine is constantly there but not offensive IMO, and wind noise is actually relatively minimal, at least in comparison. We have an Outback that's much quieter, but I expected that since it's two car classes up. The Mazda5 we used to have had so much wind noise, it was so annoying that it became a primary reason why we sold it and got the Outback.

I've taken the Fit on 1000 mile trips and will be doing 2000 miles next month. I actually think the Fit is easy to drive long distances because the steering doesn't wander and it has good road feel. It's certainly not an isolation chamber, though.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:39 AM
I have a 2013 and it is much louder than my old Nissan Pathfinder. No biggie the stereo turns up nicely.