2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

The Payment Game

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
The Payment Game

Whether you're shopping or not, you're probably getting offers for new Fits that talk about payments but not actual purchase prices.

Avoid the game, ask for the actual price with all dealer fees and local taxes detailed.

If you base your purchase on a monthly payment you will overpay by thousands.

Here's an example:

An Opportunity Now
Exists for You to
Upgrade to a
2013 Honda Fit!
Your Current Vehicle
Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: Fit
Monthly $284.59
Payment:
New Vehicle Quote
Year: 2013
Make: Honda
Model: Fit
Estimated NEW Monthly Payment
$205.00*

$0 Down For 60 Months
I played along and responded:

Really?

2013's are on a fire sale at the moment what with the poor choice of model year designations and the 2015 major model change breathing down your neck. I think 15,000 for a 2013 base auto is high. Mine is worth about 7 on a trade. maybe more.

So without a lot of thought this comes to 8,000 plus ttt. say 8500 financed with 0 down. Over 5 years at 0.9% this would be $145/month.

We kinda are in the market for another Fit (but not trading mine in). You may tantalize me with offers (but get real or I shall taunt you some more). My daily drive takes me past Honda Carland (they've got a herd of 2013s on their lot).
The $205 amount they quoted @ 0.9% over 60 months is equivalent to $12,022 financed. With this and my trade they'd have over $19,000 of my money for a '13 Base Fit.

Don't play that game.

If you're curious how much you paid, here's an excel sheet I did (download or use online "edit in browser" if you don't have excel). It's a simple formula using the "present value" function if you want to diy.

The dealer responded:

To:***@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Important Information Regarding Your 2009 Honda Fit Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 14:19:58 -0400
Hi Steve!

We are having a sale on ’13 Fits but not a “fire” sale. Sorry to hear that you’re not willing to trade out of your ’09 Fit but glad to hear that you like it that much not to trade.

Since you are possibly interested in a new Fit, I have gathered some information for you. I have just a handful of ’13 Fits in-stock. Your selling price would be $15,207+++ ($1,501 below invoice; $751 and $625 below Edmunds.com and KBB.com, respectively) and your monthly payment would be $300-$330’s/mo for 60mos (W.A.C. assuming 0.9%).

Let me know your thoughts and if you would like to stop by to see our inventory.

Damian
I countered:

To:***@hennessy-auto.com
Subject: RE: Important Information Regarding Your 2009 Honda Fit
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:07:07 -0400
mmm 300/month for 60 months @ 0.9% works out to a financed amount of $17,594. Another $30 a month pops that up to $19,354. That's a pretty big difference from $15,207...
Dealer's response:

To: ****@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Important Information Regarding Your 2009 Honda Fit Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 18:46:34 -0400
Can’t do mid-$14’s. Selling them, not giving them away. Our best offer is $14,897+++, which will put you at $290’s for 60mos (0.9%) with $0 down.
While $14,8 sounds kinda close, it's miles away based on the "+++" and the payment amount he's talking.

$290/month is equal to $17,008 financed. Taxes and fees should not be over $2000 (they're closer to $1000) so the actual offer is $15,800 for a 2013 Base Fit.

Don't play the payment game. Talk in actual amounts. Yeah you need to know the payment to know if you can afford it (or better yet, pay cash). But not when you're negotiating a price.

Here's the end of story (not bothering with them any more. we'll see if the long holiday weekend changes their tune, but with these tactics I wouldn't enter serious negotiations with them...)

To: ***@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Important Information Regarding Your 2009 Honda Fit Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 09:24:54 -0400
Sorry.

Sent: Friday, May 23, 2014 8:05 PM
To: Damian
Subject: RE: Important Information Regarding Your 2009 Honda Fit

That's over $2000 in +++. no deal.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Good post and very true. Many people get screwed out of money with this tactic.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:57 PM
The 1st Honda dealership I went to to purchase my '12 Fit played this game with me despite the fact that I told I already had my own financing. I was furious when they came back with a monthly payment scratched on a piece of paper.

I guess some sales people just can't help themselves with that tactic or they are told to do so.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
See, I didn't get to play this game at all. I bought mine after the tsunami and wanted a white, base 5mt.... There was one on the east coast and I payed sticker+tax and title on it. No BS fees or anything.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:37 PM
Good credit score = Power to make the number whatever you want basically I love buying cars they get so damn angry you can see the stream coming out there salesmen ears

Old 05-31-2014, 12:34 PM
Paying plus

How about the DOC fees
I have see them from $99.00-$599.00
Is this negotiable at all?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by goConcrcete
How about the DOC fees
You can always ask. I suspect most dealers wouldn't budge on it (or, if they do, they'll compensate by raising their prices by an equal amount). I think you'd have more luck by asking about what it is up front and mentally adjusting your offers accordingly.

You should perhaps take a bit of care to see what is included in the documentation fee—in particular, does it cover just the document preparation, or does it also include the government fees that go with the paperwork? I think usually it covers both the preparation and the government fees, but I wouldn't bet on it being universally true (and I also might well be mistaken in my thinking).

Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
It costs them just as much to go through the process of selling you a $10k new car as it does to sell you a $100k new car. Go after them on the price of the car, not on the fact that they have people in the office, parts, service and recon departments all doing work to get you out the door in your new car.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
doc fees are just "additional dealer markup." Many states cap these at a modest amount. NY limits them to $75.

But yeah, ask them before negotiating on a car price what their dealer fees are. Subtract these from the amount you're willing to pay on the negotiated purchase price price up front and just add them back.

It's not fair to have an agreed upon price and then have them tack a half grand in profit on the back end.

If you feel bad about not paying the doc fee, why are you bothering to negotiate a price at all? Just pay whatever they ask; they have to pay the salespeople too.

They created the game, perpetuate it, and use tricks to obscure it.

My purchase here in GA I had an agreed upon price through Costco. I was happy with the amount and didn't feel the need to negotiate further. When they drew up the sales contract it had an additional $600 tacked on. "Oh we have to charge that." I walked. They called me before I got home and reduced the price by $600.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
doc fees are just "additional dealer markup." Many states cap these at a modest amount. NY limits them to $75.

But yeah, ask them before negotiating on a car price what their dealer fees are. Subtract these from the amount you're willing to pay on the negotiated purchase price price up front and just add them back.

It's not fair to have an agreed upon price and then have them tack a half grand in profit on the back end.

If you feel bad about not paying the doc fee, why are you bothering to negotiate a price at all? Just pay whatever they ask; they have to pay the salespeople too.

They created the game, perpetuate it, and use tricks to obscure it.

My purchase here in GA I had an agreed upon price through Costco. I was happy with the amount and didn't feel the need to negotiate further. When they drew up the sales contract it had an additional $600 tacked on. "Oh we have to charge that." I walked. They called me before I got home and reduced the price by $600.
I tried this a little bit and got a small reaction, maybe in can get more. Thanks

Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by goConcrcete
How about the DOC fees
Yes and no. If a dealer charges one person a fee they must by law charge everyone the dealer fee.

If you are a tough negotiator you can get them to reduce the price of the car by the amount of the dealer fee. You are still charged the fee but it is subtracted from the selling price. So you are being charged the fee on paper, but not paying it.

The dealer fee is regulated by some states, if the dealer will not budge go to another state and buy the car!!

If there is a popular car that the dealer cannot keep in stock, then you are stuck paying, unless you go to another state.

They use to rip us off with rust proofing and paint sealant, now it is dealer fees.
JIm

Average Dealer Documentation Fees by State

Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Here, have a car. Oh, you wanted a 20 day plate and an inspection sticker? Sorry, those don't come for free. Walk over to the DMV and register it yourself. And you can fill out the title app too, if you can find one.

The price of the car and the price of all the other things are separate, and should be. The car is a mass produced commodity that anyone can sell you, but a tech with a state inspection license needs to get paid to do the SI no matter who owns the car. He isn't getting involved in a bidding war with another dealership to sell a car. Remember what you used to get with an airline ticket back when they were expensive? Then we used the internet to drive prices down. Eventually the airlines said "okay, here's your cheap seat- but food, headphones and luggage are extra. Happy?"

Now instead of tricking you into buying rustproofing, dealers are saying "This is what it costs me to sell you any car at all. Now let's talk about the price of the car itself." It's more level and honest. No, they're not going to flood the radio with what their charges are, but that's not what advertising is for and you shouldn't expect them to.

Call around and find a dealer that doesn't have separate fees (that is, one who pretends that all of its overhead is "free"). Tell them what your local dealer (the one with the fees) is quoting you and ask them if they'll match it. If they don't actually laugh at you, buy it from them. If you don't want to buy it from them but still want to buy it from the first store, do it and don't whine that they aren't the store an hour away.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
I think you're confusing Dealer Fees, the so called "documentation fees," with actual Tax, Tag and Title fees charged by the state.

It doesn't cost them $600 to mail the paperwork to register a car. Actual registration fees and taxes are separate from this.

They know their overhead and should consider this when negotiating a selling price, not adding half a grand after you have ended negotiations and agreed on a purchase price. If you haven't bought a car in the past 15 years you might not be aware of it. They are counting on this so you don't try to include this in your negotiations. This is deceptive.

If you fall prey to this, just leave: your feet are your best negotiating tool.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Here, have a car. Oh, you wanted a 20 day plate and an inspection sticker? Sorry, those don't come for free. Walk over to the DMV and register it yourself. And you can fill out the title app too, if you can find one.
Be happy to and save $600. It's not complicated.

The price of the car and the price of all the other things are separate, and should be. The car is a mass produced commodity that anyone can sell you, but a tech with a state inspection license needs to get paid to do the SI no matter who owns the car. He isn't getting involved in a bidding war with another dealership to sell a car. Remember what you used to get with an airline ticket back when they were expensive? Then we used the internet to drive prices down. Eventually the airlines said "okay, here's your cheap seat- but food, headphones and luggage are extra. Happy?"
Those items are optional and not required to buy the seat. Any airport fees, taxes, etc are estimated up front on any website you visit. That's not to say these add-ons aren't deceptive: they are.

Now instead of tricking you into buying rustproofing, dealers are saying "This is what it costs me to sell you any car at all. Now let's talk about the price of the car itself." It's more level and honest. No, they're not going to flood the radio with what their charges are, but that's not what advertising is for and you shouldn't expect them to.
They've gone beyond rustproofing. Now it's extended warranties, gap insurance, interest rates, service contracts, and document fees.

Call around and find a dealer that doesn't have separate fees (that is, one who pretends that all of its overhead is "free"). Tell them what your local dealer (the one with the fees) is quoting you and ask them if they'll match it. If they don't actually laugh at you, buy it from them. If you don't want to buy it from them but still want to buy it from the first store, do it and don't whine that they aren't the store an hour away.
All dealers fees in GA are different. They range from a zero to $900. The more honest dealers are including their overhead in the sales price they agree to. The less honest ones are tacking a fee on the end and way overcharging Fit buyers.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
The last time I had a dealer try DOC fees on closing, I simply said " I do not pay added on doc fees or advertising fees". I was told that they are required. I walked and by the time I got home there was a message on my phone that they would drop them. I let him wait 4 days and in the mean time bought an identical car at another dealership. After 4 days I called the first dealer back and told him I bought a new car at a competing dealer without doc fees. Here you pay sales tax at the dealership and get a free 30 day cardboard plate. Registrations and licenses are done at the BMV. They only documentation the do is write an expiration date on the cardboard plate, and hand you the manufacturer Certificate of Origin, and a sales receipt showing the sales tax paid just like the one you get a the drive-thru at McDonalds.

You then have 30 days to show up at any BMV in the state for registration and plates.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 AM
Anytime I go to buy a car I always tell them I'm paying cash for the car before hard to avoid the payment game. When I bought my fit recently every dealer I went to asked what my monthly payment budget was. I did end up paying cash anyway but at the time was on the fence if I was going to finance and still always told them I was paying cash. You can always finance after the car price is finalized.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Telling them you'll pay cash could work against you. They make a lot of money selling financing, so just say I'll finance with you if the rate is competitive and negotiate a price for the car. They can't change the sales contract later if you pay cash or finance elsewhere.

Either way you shouldn't talk in terms of a monthly payment. It will only obscure how much you're actually paying for the car.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Telling them you'll pay cash could work against you. They make a lot of money selling financing, so just say I'll finance with you if the rate is competitive and negotiate a price for the car. They can't change the sales contract later if you pay cash or finance elsewhere.

Either way you shouldn't talk in terms of a monthly payment. It will only obscure how much you're actually paying for the car.
I don't think they really care. The last 2 cars I bought, each dealer didn't care if it was cash or financing. I was also clear that I don't care about the monthly payment, just the total price out the door.