2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New member, can someone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Unhappy New member, can someone help me?

Hey everyone, I wish I was joining under better circumstances but unfortunately my fit was hit last night and I know it's kind of bad but I'd like for someone who actually knows something about cars/fits to tell me the full extent. Hopefully my pic is decent enough, I was pretty shaken up last night.

Thanks in advanced

Name:  ZSagMeB.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  696.9 KB

Old 05-06-2014, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
it's hard to say without detailed pictures inside the hatch and on the sides, but it looks like only the hatch and bumper are damaged. The tail lights and glass on the hatch being undamaged indicate it wasn't too forceful (probably felt like a Mack truck hit you though). This isn't bad. I'd guess about $2,000 to fix up good as new (and it looks like the other guy's insurance pays).

Assuming the other guy has insurance they should put you in a rental car and pay your expenses (any missed work). Besides paying for 100% of the repair they should give you a check for some extra for reduced value due to your Fit having been in an accident.

Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. I haven't heard back from my adjuster yet or the body shop about costs and all that. The insurance agent from the guy I hit told me they aren't holding me liable for their damage and for some reason they can't get into contact with the guy who caused the accident (so weird).

I saw my fit at the body shop the other day, she's definitely not that bad, just need a new front bumper, back bumper and hatch from what can tell. There's probably other smaller things though. I hate seeing her like that and it makes me so sad seeing fits around town

Name:  rmmFgFZ.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  688.0 KB
Name:  9PFFUfR.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  757.8 KB
Name:  iAerQWC.jpg
Size:  787.0 KB
Name:  deylS7n.jpg
Size:  893.6 KB
Name:  JePD9oz.jpg
Size:  820.0 KB

Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Looks like there may be a few small scratches on the end of the muffler. If you don't replace it they should give you some sort of payout for aesthetic damage. Hopefully there's no frame damage though, and of course we're unable to figure that out from the pics. How's the inside area where the spare tire sits? Has that been pushed in at all?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 PM
The trunk seemed fine, all the plastic was just thrown off the sides. My cargo mat had like a small dent in it, but I couldn't see any damage. Granted, I have untrained eyes, so who knows. I really should have taken pics of it thoughv_v

Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Angie12
Granted, I have untrained eyes, so who knows. I really should have taken pics of it thoughv_v
keep us updated and best of luck. happy to hear you weren't injured.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:54 PM
The body shop gave me an estimate of over 5k to fix all the damages. I asked him to list everything that was being replaced, it seemed to be a lot. I can't repeat it though because I'm not a car person and I have zero idea what he said lmao

Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
After you get the car back from the body shop, make sure that you don't have any leaks. Check the spare tire well for water. Also check the tires for any unusual wear that would suggest that the car's alignment is not straight.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 AM
5 Year Member
Similar incident happened to me but not as bad with the hatch.
To replace the bumper, taillight and fix a dent in the hatch along with prepping, painting and blending the bumper and the hatch it was close to $2000. That's labor, parts and paint supplies.
Sometimes body shops will overestimate the damage to make a buck from the insurance company.
Your damage looks a bit more extensive. The bumper support will need to be replaced and the hatch (expensive), taillight and bumper have to be replaced too. I would say the $5000 estimate is pretty close to what'll need to be done.
Good luck with it all.
And I agree with the above comment, make sure there are no leaks after it all gets put back together!!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Angie12
The body shop gave me an estimate of over 5k to fix all the damages. I asked him to list everything that was being replaced, it seemed to be a lot. I can't repeat it though because I'm not a car person and I have zero idea what he said lmao
What we haven't seen is the damage to the front. As it had to be towed this indicates more than bumper covers and a hatch. $5k sounds reasonable.

Did they find the guy that hit you?

Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Worst case scenario.... dude.... insurance

Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Howdy
After you get the car back from the body shop, make sure that you don't have any leaks. Check the spare tire well for water. Also check the tires for any unusual wear that would suggest that the car's alignment is not straight.
Thank you for the advice, I will be sure to check and make sure I don't have any leaks and everything is good!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
What we haven't seen is the damage to the front. As it had to be towed this indicates more than bumper covers and a hatch. $5k sounds reasonable.

Did they find the guy that hit you?
I didn't really get a good picture of the front but the damage looked very minimal, which shocked me since I was pushed extremely hard into the car in front if me a couple times. I think I'm just getting a new bumper and all is well up there.

The guy who caused the wreck (he fell asleep and hit the gas as I was sitting at a red light) stuck around until the cops came and provided a statement. He also totaled his car. At the scene and during a phone call he assured me he was going to pay for it but I have no idea if the insurance agents have reached him or if he even has insurance. Hopefully they both were able to reach him so the situation doesn't become over complicated.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
You'll need the tailgate replaced and the rear bumper. That is nowhere near 5k, and I would not pay 5k for that. That's like 40% of the car's MSRP price.

2k like Steve said is probably a more realistic estimate. My Fit (2008) had the same type of damage. In fact it was even worse since the interior panels in the hatch area got messed up too. As well as the right front and rear fender. It cost about 2k for all of that. Mine is older so the parts are somewhat cheaper. I got the parts from the junkyard and some new. The hatch was from a junkyard in great condition. Tail lamps - new, exhaust pipe - used, etc were all added costs.

You can probably get the work done for 3k even if you buy new parts and get a new front bumper.

From your pictures it does not seem too bad since you're saving on costs of the tail lamps as well. Heck you could probably do this work yourself! (but then again, I've done body work so this probably isn't for everybody)

Last edited by ikutoisahobo; 05-13-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by hatchpat
Similar incident happened to me but not as bad with the hatch.
To replace the bumper, taillight and fix a dent in the hatch along with prepping, painting and blending the bumper and the hatch it was close to $2000. That's labor, parts and paint supplies.
Sometimes body shops will overestimate the damage to make a buck from the insurance company.
Your damage looks a bit more extensive. The bumper support will need to be replaced and the hatch (expensive), taillight and bumper have to be replaced too. I would say the $5000 estimate is pretty close to what'll need to be done.
Good luck with it all.
And I agree with the above comment, make sure there are no leaks after it all gets put back together!!

Thanks for the explanation, I'm looking forward to getting her back! Hopefully good as new

Old 06-22-2014, 08:53 PM
Hey all! I finally got my baby back a few days ago!!! I would have had her back two weeks ago but I kept noticing mistakes that the body shop made so I had to give it back to them 4 times since. Here are some pictures of her, they were taken before I had to take it back for a fourth time so if you notice any chips in the paint or my tint scratched, they are already fixed. If you notice anything I missed, please let me know!
Name:  KWhWBjm.jpg
Size:  1.61 MB
Name:  iacqbj1.jpg
Size:  1.62 MB
Name:  AixhpW8.jpg
Size:  1.49 MB

Name:  X8hVMWE.jpg
Size:  1.46 MB
Name:  i0vdwpR.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  1.34 MB
Name:  N4cGYzM.jpg
Size:  1.48 MB
Name:  8CpgZOw.jpg
Size:  1.74 MB
Name:  rnlVcow.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  1.64 MB
Is this supposed to be covered? I don't remember

I did notice the back of my seat is a little loose, I need to inspect it to see if there is just something I can just tighten or something.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
no its not covered.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Saw your missing key on the floor.......

Old 06-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Sorry that happen to you glad to see it got repaired hopefully they fix any issues you find I would be broken if this happen to me

Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by siguy
Saw your missing key on the floor.......
Ah that's where I put them ^_^

Quick Reply: New member, can someone help me?