2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Dome light is not dimming or turning, but works when i use the switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member
Dome light is not dimming or turning, but works when i use the switch

Hello, my warranty is out and i was hoping to fix this on my own perhaps. I am not sure if the problem is a fuse or a switch, but the light works for a little bit after i flip the dome switch between the 3 settings, and the dimmer even works.

It seems that it is unreliable and it will stop working immediately after, and it will never work when I am opening the door or closing it on the auto setting.

I did a search.. and seeing several threads of people that have never fixed it, or perhaps had similar issues, but I was unsure if I was having the same problem as the bulb is proven to work... So i was hoping if anyone here could please help me... i get off at work at night all of the the time, and it would nice to locate some of my things when open the door at night.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Try changing the bulb.

The power is always "on" to the dome light.

Moving the switch to the on position makes a ground connection. Similarly the controller that turns on the light when you open the door also makes a ground connection, however this has higher resistance due to the dimming circuit.

If the light only works intermittently using the on switch, either the wire is broken going to the light, or, more likely, the bulb needs changing.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
Try changing the bulb.

The power is always "on" to the dome light.

Moving the switch to the on position makes a ground connection. Similarly the controller that turns on the light when you open the door also makes a ground connection, however this has higher resistance due to the dimming circuit.

If the light only works intermittently using the on switch, either the wire is broken going to the light, or, more likely, the bulb needs changing.
It could also be the switch itself making intermittent or poor contact in the door position. Since the light seems to work reliably with the "always on" setting, I would tend to guess the switch is dirty or worn or broken before guessing that the bulb is giving trouble. Of course, it's easy and pretty inexpensive to try replacing the bulb before pulling the light unit and poking at the switch.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
If I'm interpreting Vash correctly, it doesn't work at all on the door position and only intermittently in the "on" position.