2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Just a compilation of a few reviews by the automotive press:

FYI, just a few links to some of the early reviews of the '09 Fit on Subcompact Culture:

http://www.subcompactculture.c....html

Old 08-23-2008, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Pirelli P Zero, your point is valid enough, ie: it's understandable that Honda's cheapest vehicle *should* be just fine without VSA, and that those who routinely drive like idiots should do us all a favor and buy a bus pass.

But a) If you're paying 20K for ANY vehicle I don't think it's unreasonable to want it to come equipped with such an important safety feature.

And b) it's not just speed freaks who stand to benefit here--- you don't have to be speeding in order to find yourself having to take extreme evasive action if say, a deer (or child) runs out in front of your car on an instant's notice. Or if that oncoming drunk swerves into your lane. Sure, if you're quick on the draw you can avoid them. But VSA gives you a much better chance to avoid spinning out as a result.

If the technology exists for a reasonable build cost, then demanding it be available without having to buy the nav system isn't unreasonable at all. Especially in a car costing around 20K.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Aviator902S
Hey Pirelli P Zero, your point is valid enough, ie: it's understandable that Honda's cheapest vehicle *should* be just fine without VSA, and that those who routinely drive like idiots should do us all a favor and buy a bus pass.

But a) If you're paying 20K for ANY vehicle I don't think it's unreasonable to want it to come equipped with such an important safety feature.

And b) it's not just speed freaks who stand to benefit here--- you don't have to be speeding in order to find yourself having to take extreme evasive action if say, a deer (or child) runs out in front of your car on an instant's notice. Or if that oncoming drunk swerves into your lane. Sure, if you're quick on the draw you can avoid them. But VSA gives you a much better chance to avoid spinning out as a result.

If the technology exists for a reasonable build cost, then demanding it be available without having to buy the nav system isn't unreasonable at all. Especially in a car costing around 20K.
If you're paying $20k for the Fit, you will be getting VSA...

Old 08-23-2008, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pirelli P Zero
I'm guessing that you all survived just fine driving all your previous cars without VSA, but now you're demanding it on Honda's cheapest vehicle? If you are driving an economy car so fast around a corner that you need electronics to intervene and slow you down, perhaps you shouldn't be driving.
You sound like a perfect candidate to receive the "Darwin Award".

Thanks for sharing your worthless opinion.

It may be that the life my VSA Fit saves could be your own.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by badself
You sound like a perfect candidate to receive the "Darwin Award".

Thanks for sharing your worthless opinion.

It may be that the life my VSA Fit saves could be your own.
hahahhaa..

yeah doesn't he know the fit is a cornering beast?

Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing that you all survived just fine driving all your previous cars without VSA
Well, as a matter of fact, yes. It's amazing how much you can learn about the handling limits of your car by autocrossing it. Most people probably should drive a VSA-equipped vehicle. But it's not unreasonable for some drivers to say "no thanks, don't need it and don't want it."

Old 08-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Retired Moderator
If i opt to spend the money on the Nav/VSA setup, i will be doing it for the Nav, VSA as a added bonus

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 PM
All cars sold in the US must have standard VSA ('stability control') by 2012.

Right now stability control is viewed to have a bigger impact on safety than anti-lock brakes. In a study, Mercedes found that cars with stability control were involved in 15% fewer crashes than cars without stability control. Other studies have shown that cars with stability control are involved in fewer single-car accidents.

Like with ABS, I think the primary advantage of VSA comes in when traction is not great: in rain or snow, on slick surfaces -- like mud or sand on the road, or gravel roads and when making emergency maneuvers -- like dodging deer (which is usually not recommended).

-- Bill

Old 08-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
Yea don't take my work for it
It's as easy as reading the 2009 owner manual for Canadian Fits'
Link please. I have read the US Manual and may have overlooked it.

thanks

Old 08-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Well this is interesting. I noticed above that the DX-A adds air conditioning but no mention of it for the LX. (I'm assuming it's an option on the LX?)

Also, no mention of cruise control on the Sport? Did they forget to mention it? Is it an option that's only available with nav? Or has the price for the '09 been kept from going nuclear by "de-contenting" the '09?

I think we need a complete breakdown of all features and options for each package--- if such a thing exists yet.
Nope those '09 packages adds to the existing '08 models. To answer your question, the LX and Sport comes with AC. VSA and NAV are not available to the Canadians, strictly US features.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by ProMed
If you're paying $20k for the Fit, you will be getting VSA...
US market only. Canadians not so lucky.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitlurker
Link please. I have read the US Manual and may have overlooked it.

thanks
lol

It's in this or the other 09 thread not too many pages back.
Clearly says link to owner manuals. There's about 6 pages dedicated to using all the tools for fixing the tire wiht the Honda kit.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
lol

It's in this or the other 09 thread not too many pages back.
Clearly says link to owner manuals. There's about 6 pages dedicated to using all the tools for fixing the tire wiht the Honda kit.
Right you are. From page 284 - "Except all Canadian models with
automatic transmission
"

FitLurkerNoMore

Old 08-24-2008, 05:01 PM

a. First of all, it's not a $20k car. Secondly, if you are paying for the most expensive Fit Sport Auto with Nav for $18,760, you will be getting VSA. The people whining are demanding VSA on the model that's $4k cheaper.

b. If I need to take evasive action, I want to be in control. I don't want a computer trying to decide what's best, suddenly retarding engine power and applying various brakes. No thank you.

But that's just my choice. If people want VSA, that's fine... I just don't understand why people are acting like Honda's a piece of sh*t company for only offering it on the most expensive version. (Nevermind that the current Fit that we know and love doesn't have it). What if they offered VSA as a stand-alone option for $1800. Would people buy it then? I would hope so, since people are acting like it's the difference between life and death. So try looking at it in that light, and maybe it will be easier to swallow - and they'll throw in Navi for free! What if they made it standard, thereby increasing the cost of all the Fits? Then I would have to pay more for something I don't want or need. Hell, people are already complaining that it now costs too much... and Honda only raised the price by about $700. Yeah, why didn't they add a million more things standard?! Where's my full armrest, where's my K-series engine, where're my rear disc brakes, and on and on. Suddenly it would be a $25k car and no one would buy it, VSA or otherwise.

I also wonder why 90% of the people complaining have less than 20 posts. A bunch of people have taken the trouble to sign up for fitfreak.net just to complain that the Fit doesn't have VSA and this and that, and that they're going off to buy Toyotas and Hyundais instead. I can't help but notice that they're all the ones calling it a $20k car, too. You're on an enthusiast website, people. Putting a negative spin on the Fit won't make us change our minds about loving the car.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:37 PM
a. First of all, it's not a $20k car. Secondly, if you are paying for the most expensive Fit Sport Auto with Nav for $18,760, you will be getting VSA. The people whining are demanding VSA on the model that's $4k cheaper.

b. If I need to take evasive action, I want to be in control. I don't want a computer trying to decide what's best, suddenly retarding engine power and applying various brakes. No thank you.

But that's just my choice. If people want VSA, that's fine... I just don't understand why people are acting like Honda's a piece of sh*t company for only offering it on the most expensive version. (Nevermind that the current Fit that we know and love doesn't have it). What if they offered VSA as a stand-alone option for $1800. Would people buy it then? I would hope so, since people are acting like it's the difference between life and death. So try looking at it in that light, and maybe it will be easier to swallow - and they'll throw in Navi for free! What if they made it standard, thereby increasing the cost of all the Fits? Then I would have to pay more for something I don't want or need. Hell, people are already complaining that it now costs too much... and Honda only raised the price by about $700. Yeah, why didn't they add a million more things standard?! Where's my full armrest, where's my K-series engine, where're my rear disc brakes, and on and on. Suddenly it would be a $25k car and no one would buy it, VSA or otherwise.

I also wonder why 90% of the people complaining have less than 20 posts. A bunch of people have taken the trouble to sign up for fitfreak.net just to complain that the Fit doesn't have VSA and this and that, and that they're going off to buy Toyotas and Hyundais instead. I can't help but notice that they're all the ones calling it a $20k car, too. You're on an enthusiast website, people. Putting a negative spin on the Fit won't make us change our minds about loving the car.

OWNED!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
My a/t sport fit + CA taxes and fees was like $17300 out the door. These prices people are throwing about do seem a tad high...

$20K+ OTD then I would want a little stock turbo or a sunroof. (I'm not shopping!)

Last edited by xorbe; 08-24-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
a. First of all, it's not a $20k car.

Maybe not where you are. But up here north of the 49th parallel the Sport model most certainly is.

Secondly, if you are paying for the most expensive Fit Sport Auto with Nav for $18,760, you will be getting VSA.

As it turns out after my previous post, neither nav nor VSA will be available in Canada, only in the U.S. If it were available here the car would cost over 22K.

The people whining are demanding VSA on the model that's $4k cheaper.

Go back and re-read my post. It sez something to the effect of "if it's not too costly for Honda" to incorporate into their vehicles... I'll now elaborate so it's less confusing: If it's not too costly for Honda to provide this feature, VSA should be available as an option across all trim levels for those who wish to order it. And it should be a stand-alone option, NOT tied to the purchase of other options like for example, nav.

There used to be similar arguments about seat belts, ie: "if I go into a lake I don't want to drown because I was trapped by my seat belt!" Or "I don't want my life ruled by a damn buzzer!" I could be wrong, but what appears to be the case is that you're hoping the rest of us will read into this that you're such a damn good driver with lightning-quick reflexes and presence of mind that you'd never--- ever--- lose control of your car. So, uhhh... what happens when that other driver without VSA loses control of his and fishtails right into your path at highway speed leaving you no time to even blink? I don't know about you, but I actually LIKE the idea of all those drivers with lesser skills than my own having VSA to (at least once in a while) save their asses. and by extension, mine too.

I just don't understand why people are acting like Honda's a piece of sh*t company for only offering it on the most expensive version.

That's an overstatement. While they're most likely glad it's at least available, it's not available (even as an option) on lesser trim levels. And you gotta order nav to get it. This is like if you were given the opportunity to sleep with one of the Pittsburg Steelers' cheerleaders--- but the only way she'd do it is if you first let her ghey male friend bend you over at the bath house and...

(Nevermind that the current Fit that we know and love doesn't have it).

Neither did any cars before it was invented. The above statement is beside the point.

What if they offered VSA as a stand-alone option for $1800. Would people buy it then?

If it cost Honda anywhere near that amount per vehicle to install this would be perfectly reasonable, especially if it were a stand-alone option not tied to nav. But as is evident by the fact that it IS tied to nav, VSA doesn't cost Honda any where near that figure. Sounds like price-gouging to me.

I would hope so, since people are acting like it's the difference between life and death.

Actually, it is. Are you suggesting that it would not save lives? I hope not, because to do so would be as daft as suggesting that seat belts don't save lives.

So try looking at it in that light, and maybe it will be easier to swallow - and they'll throw in Navi for free!

Already done. See above.

What if they made it standard, thereby increasing the cost of
all the Fits? Then I would have to pay more for something I don't want or need.

Agreed. I think it should still be up to the individual. But if and when it becomes law Honda will have no choice.

Hell, people are already complaining that it now costs too much... and Honda only raised the price by about $700.

Again, the biggest complaint isn't the cost of the VSA feature but the fact that to get it you have to order another-priced option that some want but nobody needs. See again my cheerleader example above.

Yeah, why didn't they add a million more things standard?! Where's my full armrest, where's my K-series engine, where're my rear disc brakes, and on and on. Suddenly it would be a $25k car and no one would buy it, VSA or otherwise.

Dude, you're now ranting and drifting off the point at hand. I think most of us (not to mention the tall foreheads at Honda) realize that a bunch of un-necessary options would price the Fit right out of the market. The fact that they provide a decent array of options to begin with speaks well of their acumen for providing good bang for buck. Otherwise we'd all be driving Yarises. Again, the point is that a very useful (for most) safety option is tied to another option that's over-priced and un-necessary.

I also wonder why a bunch of people complaining have less than 20 posts.

Uh, as if somehow post count means they're less informed? How old are you anyway? If you're under 30 I've been driving (and fixing) cars since before you were even thought of.

A bunch of people have taken the trouble to sign up for fitfreak.net just to complain that the Fit doesn't have VSA and this and that, and that they're going off to buy Toyotas and Hyundais instead. I can't help but notice that they're all the ones calling it a $20k car, too. You're on an enthusiast website, people.

Yeah, I've seen those too. And for the record I intend to buy an '09 Sport MT as soon as they're available here. But as an enthusiast and an experienced driver and car owner I think I have a right to point out areas where there's room for improvement. We should all be grateful that a car such as the Fit is available to us. Grateful, but not satisfied. To be satisfied would allow Honda to rest on their laurels and eventually fall behind the competition. The reason the '09 Fit has incorporated so many improvements over the '08 is because lots of owners posted complaints (albeit, minor ones. The '08 is still a decent car) and Honda took those issues to heart.

Putting a negative spin on the Fit won't make us change our minds about loving the car.
Mine neither.

Last edited by Aviator902S; 08-24-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by xorbe
My a/t sport fit + CA taxes and fees was like $17300 out the door. These prices people are throwing about do seem a tad high...

$20K+ OTD then I would want a little stock turbo or a sunroof. (I'm not shopping!)
Pshhh!
Sunroofs are lamo, Turbo would be sick though

Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Aviator, my post was partially in response to yours, but not totally directed at you. Also I didn't realize you were talking about Canadian cost and features. I was referencing the U.S. market. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not saying VSA is a bad thing, just that I think people are going way too far in their reaction to VSA not being available on all versions of Honda's cheapest car. It sounds like it's going to be mandatory in a few years anyhow (which is fine with me, by the way, aside from the inevitable price increase). In the meantime I guess people have to chalk up the Navi cash, hold off on their purchase of the Fit until it has VSA, or buy another car, simple as that. But signing up for fitfreak.net just to make a few posts saying what you hate about the car (again, not you personally) seems like a waste of time, and it's a buzzkill to the rest of our enthusiasm. And that's what I was referencing by number of posts, btw... people that are new to the site. Yet they only seem to have negative things to say. I wasn't referring anyone's level of being informed.

Anyway, perhaps a "No stand-alone VSA option sux!!" thread should be started separately from here.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Aviator, my post was partially in response to yours, but not totally directed at you. Also I didn't realize you were talking about Canadian cost and features. I was referencing the U.S. market. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I'm not saying VSA is a bad thing, just that I think people are going way too far in their reaction to VSA not being available on all versions of Honda's cheapest car. It sounds like it's going to be mandatory in a few years anyhow (which is fine with me, by the way, aside from the inevitable price increase). In the meantime I guess people have to chalk up the Navi cash, hold off on their purchase of the Fit until it has VSA, or buy another car, simple as that. But signing up for fitfreak.net just to make a few posts saying what you hate about the car (again, not you personally) seems like a waste of time, and it's a buzzkill to the rest of our enthusiasm. And that's what I was referencing by number of posts, btw... people that are new to the site. Yet they only seem to have negative things to say. I wasn't referring anyone's level of being informed.

Anyway, perhaps a "No stand-alone VSA option sux!!" thread should be started separately from here.
Yeah, the trolls can certainly be most annoying. But most of us, in spite of the few gripes we have, recognize that these cars are the best option in their class. Otherwise we wouldn't be on here in the first place.

And yeah, the Canadian/ U.S price differences trip us up on occasion. On the plus side of things, 34 miles per U.S. gallon = 41 miles per imperial gallon--- a very respectable number for any car let alone one with 118 horses on tap. That's over 400 miles (650 kms) per tank, with 0.08 U.S. gallons left in reserve.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit