2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Honda bases very few of there decisions on what Toyota does.

I believe that is because you are looking only at one market (North America). Honda certainly reacts to what Toyota does, and vice versa. In the Japanese market, where Toyota has over 40% market share versus Honda's 12% or so, Honda MUST respond to what Toyota does, or they get wiped out. By the way, Toyota responds to Honda all the time as well. The pattern typically is: Honda comes up with a product. Toyota responds and kills it. Honda then responds to Toyota to counter that. The battle of Honda Stream and Toyota WISH in the microvan category is clear evidence of this relationship.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by jacksan1
I think Honda is going to get out of this segment in NA to focus in Japan and to focus on the Civic range on up, it's real bread and butter in NA. Right now, the new Camry is killing the Accord. So, with oil and gas prices coming back down, look for the 2007 Fit to be the last Honda this size in NA for some time.

This observation is not correct. When the plan to build the facility was released to the media, Honda had announced in Japan that the Fit would be built in Greensburg IN starting in 2008. They will not be getting out of this segment in North America. In fact, they will be adding more to it. The Civic going slightly upscale has created a zone for the Fit.

Honda has a lot to thank Toyota for the development of this market segment with the success of Scion. That became a discovery for the Japanese automakers that there is a volume to be picked up.
Agreed. Excellent points.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ex_MGB
I think Honda floated the end of model life cycle 2007 Fit in NA as a trial balloon and sorta play catch-up with Toyota and their Scion brand. However, it looks like Toyota is set to lower the boom. The Yaris is starting to hit the streets in NA (a significantly more modern car than the smidgen of Fits we've seen in NA) and next comes all new Scion vehicles (Xa and Xb to be completely replaced).
A couple of comments:

1. The testers at Car and Driver and Motor Trend had a lot of uncomplimentary things to say about the Yaris for these reasons: a) the ride quality is too soft, b) the back seat area is less roomy than anticipated and c) they all disliked the difficult-to-read center-mounted instrument panel. Compare this to what they say about the Fit: a) the ride quality is good considering its very sharp handling, b) the seating space for all passengers is quite good considering the size of the car and c) the instrument panel left nothing to be desired in terms of readability.

2. By the way, from a few highly-disguised prototypes seen running around Michigan, it appears the 2008 Scion xA replacement (current rumor has it going to the xD name) will be based on the Toyota Ractis "tall wagon" that started sales in Japan late last fall. The xD will likely use the 1.8-liter I-4 engine rated at circa 128 bhp (SAE 08/04 net) used on the European Yaris TS sports hatchback.

Old 09-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
2. Your choice of six-speed manual or CVT-7 automatic (North American market Fits will no longer use the 5AT automatic).
The NA Fits are the only ones in the world to use the 5AT, and that transmission was developed just for Americans to better suit their "driving habits." What could have changed that will now make the CVT acceptable?

Old 09-22-2006, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
This is my guess and only my guess, but Honda may have been cautious with the CVT for NA because of the number of miles many drivers put in. CVTs as used in Japan or Europe rarely if ever see a mileage driven like 100,000 miles, and so Honda may have hesitated about bringing the NA Fit with the CVT due to a durability concern.

I am not sure, though, whether or not the NA Fit will ever have the CVT-7 even if Honda changes its mind about the CVT for NA. The CVT-7 is a limited circulation tranny even in Japan, and really does not have that many advantages (more of a marketing thing, really). It's hard to push something like the CVT-7 to a market that barely knows what a CVT is to begin with.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Here's another less than complimentary test drive of the Yaris:

Mixed review – Yaris test drive:
http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/stam...7089741522.php

Old 09-22-2006, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Pirelli P Zero
The NA Fits are the only ones in the world to use the 5AT, and that transmission was developed just for Americans to better suit their "driving habits." What could have changed that will now make the CVT acceptable?
Try driving a 2007 Nissan Versa. Thanks to improved electronic controls used on the JATCO CVT found on the Versa, the latest CVT's minimize the "slipping clutch" feel that was the bane of older CVT units.

Also, because sales of the Civic sedan is very strong in both the USA and eastern Asia, demand for the 5AT transmission used on the Civic has pretty much taken up all the productive output of the factories that make that transmission. Since the current Fit uses essentially a slightly modified version of the Civic's 5AT unit, it would be better to certify the CVT for the new Fit for all markets including North America.

Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Any more news on the 2008 Fit?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Dealer somewhat confirmed this for me

I ordered my fit about two weeks ago. Up until that point I was torn between the 07 Civic & 07 Fit. While I was test driving the Civic (for a second time) and expressing my hesitation with buying a Fit sight unseen the dealer said that the Fit will be completely redesign for 08 or 09. He said exactly what others have said on this long thread. The Fit has been in Europe/Japan with little redesign for several years and it is due. Now this could have been him trying to get me to get into a Civic EX for 3K more. Either way I still ordered a Black AT Sport Fit (after I finally got to drive one). But it was a salesman at a dealership and he actually seems like a pretty honest guy. I just saw this thread and kind of laughed a bit because I think the guy who started it isn't lying.

Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by kurtdesch
I just got home from a focus group for the new Fit at the Anahiem Convention Center and all I can say is damn. The new Fit is going to blow the current model away. Wish I brought my camera but they even made us give them our cell phones...very top secret. I don't think it's totally ready for production yet, no word when it's going to be released.
Kirtdesch, has Honda done any follow up with you post your focus group?

Old 10-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by mharrigan
Kirtdesch, has Honda done any follow up with you post your focus group?
I was going to another focus group last month but I was too busy..so I guess the answer to your question, no.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Well, one thing's for sure...Honda is sticking with that front end design (similar to the new CR-V)...it sure looks better on the Fit than the CR-V, IMO.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
I bought the Fit knowing that there will be a new, made in the USA, version in a year or two. From what I've read it'll be 2008 before you see the next Fit, which makes it model year 2009. So 2.5 years of this generation of the Fit.

It doesn't matter that it's getting redesigned. At this time, if you want a subcompact hatch, there's no better car in my opinion.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:06 AM
As a fan of Honda for a while now (3 of em at our house) I for one am not digging the new designs at all. 1- CRV has no manual trans and the rear looks like a Pacifica. 2- Ridgeline looks too much like an Avalance . 3-The S2k lost the 9000 rpm engine and that front bumper with the body line in it does not look as sleek as before. 4- Civic exterior rocks but the interior looks too boy racer videogamer to me. 5-That Fit redesign with that large grille looks like a Chevy Malibu grille. I would stick with the current Fit HANDS DOWN! 6- I look at the Honda Prelude from 97-01 and then see other current cars like IS Lexus=Pontiac G6 ,new Altima=bland,new Edge = ok,etc. I think to myself just how beautiful the last Prelude was in comparison!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
I talked to a friend of mine Friday night who works for Honda. He said he wouldn't be surprise if it gets redesigned since it has been in Japan going on 5 years. He also said that the Greensburg, Indiana plant will be producing the Fit once it is up and running. He figures it will be cranking out cars by the end of next summer.

Old 11-20-2006, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member
Next Gen Fit

Originally Posted by eGadgetGeek
I talked to a friend of mine Friday night who works for Honda. He said he wouldn't be surprise if it gets redesigned since it has been in Japan going on 5 years. He also said that the Greensburg, Indiana plant will be producing the Fit once it is up and running. He figures it will be cranking out cars by the end of next summer.
It is all but certain that the next-gen Fit will be released in Japan by the early summer of 2007, more likely in the spring of 2007. Honda's official plan is to have the Greensburg plant online in the fall of 2007, but not later than October.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 PM
2008 Fit

The Fit is what it is, it would not bother me if a new one came out every 6 months, as long as I could get parts to keep mine going for at least 200K.

I also agree, the Fit is only new to North America, everywhere else is is a stale design. If the 08 Fit is that much better, I may just buy another one for me and let my wife drive the 07.

I believe in diversity in cars; 06 MB CLS500, 01 Ford Lightning and 07 Fit, how much more diverse can you get?

Old 11-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Father of the Wasteland
5 Year Member
we dont all have the payroll to do that... but i wish i did

Old 11-26-2006, 09:39 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 13 year old who will start driving in 3 years. We'll see what the 2011 Fit looks like. I just hope the 2007 Fit survives the 16 year old at that time.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:06 AM
as long as my 2007 fit has the jdm look it doesnt matter those new designs suck ass anyway they look to little boyish to round no sharp curves or anything to give the car a sporty car like design

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit