2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by mikow
any pics of the new 09 fit?
Here's one picture taken at the Vancouver Auto Show
CanadianDriver: Photo Enlargement

Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by mikow
any pics of the new 09 fit?
Dig through the past few pages of this thread, which you haven't obviously.

Or use a search engine

Old 04-19-2008, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Just wishing/thinking out loud, but how awesome would it be if Honda came out with an Si/Type-R/Type-S version of the Fit? Say with something like 150-175hp?!? I would sell my MINI Cooper S JCW, and I would buy that car in a heartbeat!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:06 AM
Originally Posted by pcs0snq
If it's like the 2008 the price of that was a deal. The 08 added cruse control, fog lights, better radio and better tires, not on your list for the '09

I have read most of this but it was not clear to me the extra length how that shows up inside relative to the 2008 and older. Does anyone really know in inches relative to the old model the location of the extra length. ie 2" more in the rear leg room or 3" more dash and front foot room length?

I'm glad many of you plan to buy the '09's. I would not, buy a new gen car no matter based on the established trend of them having issues that are resolved in the second year. So I'm targeting 2010, assuming Honda does not screw it up with price or fuel eco performance which is still an unknown.
The '09 Fit was released in Japan last fall so it will have been out for a year, and I'm quite certain Honda will have worked out the bugs, if any.

Why would you be glad for someone who was doing something you thought was not very smart?

Last edited by crankshaft; 04-20-2008 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crankshaft
The '09 Fit was released in Japan last fall so it will have been out for a year, and I'm quite certain Honda will have worked out the bugs, if any. based on what facts?

Why would you be glad for someone who was doing something you thought was not very smart?
for many reasons see below. None of which are what you may think.... Wishing bad things for 2009 Fit owners. I'm pretty sure most know what they are getting into or just ignoring the facts.

As I said I have hopes for my own 2010 Fit, assuming the concerns that have yet to be disclosed are dismissed as non issues. EPA mpg, COST, Reliability to name a few. Honda needs to sell lots of 2009 cars to figure out the predicted bugs. They do have competition in the market so it's no slam dunk the 2009 will sell well. Also, for 3rd party folks like Consumers reports to build enough data to report on them. So I like to see folks that are mature enough to go for the new ones ready to buy.

Those of us that have have owned many cars and been on the planet for some time would take a less optimistic view of a new model. All new cars have design and manufacturing quality issues that will have to be worked out. I'll predict at least 1 Honda recall and 4 stupid things like bumper paint, or dash rattles for the 2009 within the 1st year.

I purchased a 2008 and could of waited for a 2009, but after reading all the issues with the mature USA Fits on this site, other forms and understanding the 2008's are as refined as they ever will be, I made my move in March. So far my 2008 Fit is perfect and free of the defects you can read about on here.

IMHO Those that purchase the 2009 should expect issues. I hope none are safety related, but it's a risk with any redesigned car. You can be optimistic it will be issue free, but the facts are not on your side. I have said more than one time on here based on direct feedback from Honda mechanics that iVTEC is not near as reliable as the VTEC in the car now and I'm sure that will come out as they are purchased.

Last edited by pcs0snq; 04-20-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ehh I'll take my chances with the 09. Hopefully the car doesn't blow up or something. I might be disappointed if that happens.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
the 09 is more of a bug fix/improvement for the current 08. i don't think there will be that many issues since it's mostly the same car. i got the 08 as well and have some gripes that i would of liked it addressed and the 09 spec seems to be in the general direction where things should head.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 AM
for many reasons see below. None of which are what you may think.... Wishing bad things for 2009 Fit owners. I'm pretty sure most know what they are getting into or just ignoring the facts.

As I said I have hopes for my own 2010 Fit, assuming the concerns that have yet to be disclosed are dismissed as non issues. EPA mpg, COST, Reliability to name a few. Honda needs to sell lots of 2009 cars to figure out the predicted bugs. They do have competition in the market so it's no slam dunk the 2009 will sell well. Also, for 3rd party folks like Consumers reports to build enough data to report on them. So I like to see folks that are mature enough to go for the new ones ready to buy.

Those of us that have have owned many cars and been on the planet for some time would take a less optimistic view of a new model. All new cars have design and manufacturing quality issues that will have to be worked out. I'll predict at least 1 Honda recall and 4 stupid things like bumper paint, or dash rattles for the 2009 within the 1st year.

I purchased a 2008 and could of waited for a 2009, but after reading all the issues with the mature USA Fits on this site, other forms and understanding the 2008's are as refined as they ever will be, I made my move in March. So far my 2008 Fit is perfect and free of the defects you can read about on here.

IMHO Those that purchase the 2009 should expect issues. I hope none are safety related, but it's a risk with any redesigned car. You can be optimistic it will be issue free, but the facts are not on your side. I have said more than one time on here based on direct feedback from Honda mechanics that iVTEC is not near as reliable as the VTEC in the car now and I'm sure that will come out as they are purchased.
I purchased my first new vehicle in 1984, and a lot of new vehicles since then, so I've been on the planet for some time too. I bought my first Honda in December of 1988. It was a 1989 Honda Civic Si...great car....never had a problem with it, but back to your point.

Concerning the competition, I've looked...and looked...and looked since 2005, and there is no competition that compares in terms of practicality, value, reliability, quality, fuel efficiency, and resale value combined. Not the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Scion xD, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Volkswagen Rabbit, Saturn Astra, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, Suzuki SX4, etc., etc., etc.

If no one bought a 2009 Fit because everyone listened to you, or very few sold because inevitably there would be some who were oblivious of the history of the Fit, would there be a 2010? No, Honda would cancel Fit sales in the U.S. because of poor sales, so what good does it do for you to come here and say it's dumb to buy a 2009?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I purchased my first new vehicle in 1984, and a lot of new vehicles since then, so I've been on the planet for some time too. I bought my first Honda in December of 1988. It was a 1989 Honda Civic Si...great car....never had a problem with it, but back to your point.

Concerning the competition, I've looked...and looked...and looked since 2005, and there is no competition that compares in terms of practicality, value, reliability, quality, fuel efficiency, and resale value combined. Not the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, Scion xD, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Volkswagen Rabbit, Saturn Astra, Mazda 3, Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe, Suzuki SX4, etc., etc., etc.

If no one bought a 2009 Fit because everyone listened to you, or very few sold because inevitably there would be some who were oblivious of the history of the Fit, would there be a 2010? No, Honda would cancel Fit sales in the U.S. because of poor sales, so what good does it do for you to come here and say it's dumb to buy a 2009?
For you, obviously it's a waste of time. Your logic is not realistic at all. OBTW Good luck with your 2009 Fit.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Thumbs up

I'm with you crankshaft. You make alot of sense. As for pcsOsnq, why would you buy an 08 Fit and then think of buying the 2010. That doesn't sound logical to me. Enjoy your 08 fit.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM
My only real complaint with my Fit is that the seats attract way too much lint. I have a lint brush in my dash though.

For the most part, after the first year for a newly designed vehicle, cars begin to get better when it comes to any annoyances/issues. Also, I find that more features will become standard. Car companies just want to make a new model that much better each year throughout a cycle. 3 examples of the top of my head:

1. My dad has an '06 4Runner SR5. In '03, when that new design came out...the flares weren't color matched and were very ugly. You had to opt for the Limited to get color matched. Toyota smooted out the flares and made them color matched on the base SR5 by '05. Also, the V6 in my dads produces more HP than the V8 from '03.

2. There was a time that our household had 2 civics of the same gen. We had a '97 and a '99. The '99 had the mid cycle change with the dash etc. The '99 felt like it was put together better...alot tighter than the '97. Maybe the '97 was made on a friday afternoon or something.

3. I admit that I currently own a 'first year' model car. I have a 5th gen '97 Prelude that was made in Oct. '96...but I couldnt turn this one up. (Low mileage, garage stored and owned by a senior citizen) In '99 or '00...leather started to become a standard feature. Also, I am pretty sure there were alot more color options after '97. '97s had 4 colors.

Im sure there are many other examples from other companies...just for me, I prefer to have an older model and wait for the new model to prove itself.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 04-22-2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Taffeta White

Looking at your sign it looks like you have a 2008 Fit Sport painted White. Is than non USA origin? I would of loved a white or yellow Fit but from looking at the Fit color wheel it was not an option.... for me..

Old 04-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Taffeta White is available in Canada for 2008 Fits. We didnt get TW for 2007 though. A yellow Fit would be really nice! If TW wasnt available...I wouldve went for BOM.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM
5 Year Member
The day I walked into my local dealer to cut the deal, I was torn between the BOM and the VBP and opted for the blue. Odd as it may sound, I had it in my head I wanted a color that would be high contrast (to other larger vehicles near me) lol and a color/paint that would last down here in South Fla. I have had Honda's for 30 years and for sure the SSM and all Silvers will last more than 5 years.....

Will be interesting to see what the 09 colors selection will be.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 AM
IMO, silver is probably the best color overall. It requires little maintenance, hides scratches and swirls very well. In '07, our market had Alabaster Silver as well as SSM. AS was a much brighter silver than SSM...much like Satin silver on many other Hondas. I believe Honda still offers AS to other countries though.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:56 AM
RDS
You can be optimistic it will be issue free, but the facts are not on your side. I have said more than one time on here based on direct feedback from Honda mechanics that iVTEC is not near as reliable as the VTEC in the car now and I'm sure that will come out as they are purchased.
The facts are apparently not on your side either. i-VTEC is just as reliable as VTEC (there have been no failures since VTEC was first implemented on the NSX...do the math regarding how many vehicles were sold).

My information comes from someone far more intimate with Hondas than "Honda mechanics".

Regardless, your logic that nobody should buy brand new cars on the basis that they're practically guaranteed to have problems because it's a first year car is almost insulting. I'll spend my money the way I want. I've owned first year cars that had small issues (as to be expected) and I've had first year models far more expensive than the Fit that had absolutely no issues. Either way, I don't walk around wondering if I'm going to have a problem with my car on the way to work tomorrow. I have better things to do with my time. If the dash has a little rattle who cares? Ford's still recalling fairly new cars for engine fires. I'll take my little first year rattle and turn the radio up just a little louder, thank you very much.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by RDS
The facts are apparently not on your side either. i-VTEC is just as reliable as VTEC (there have been no failures since VTEC was first implemented on the NSX...do the math regarding how many vehicles were sold).

My information comes from someone far more intimate with Hondas than "Honda mechanics".

Regardless, your logic that nobody should buy brand new cars on the basis that they're practically guaranteed to have problems because it's a first year car is almost insulting. I'll spend my money the way I want. I've owned first year cars that had small issues (as to be expected) and I've had first year models far more expensive than the Fit that had absolutely no issues. Either way, I don't walk around wondering if I'm going to have a problem with my car on the way to work tomorrow. I have better things to do with my time. If the dash has a little rattle who cares? Ford's still recalling fairly new cars for engine fires. I'll take my little first year rattle and turn the radio up just a little louder, thank you very much.

It was a somewhat failed argument anyway as by the time it's available in the US it'll have been on the market a year already (elsewhere).

Old 04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Looks too much like a Toyota Sienna for my tastes...

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
RDS
Originally Posted by Bancho
It was a somewhat failed argument anyway as by the time it's available in the US it'll have been on the market a year already (elsewhere).
lol, I missed that. Thank you

Old 04-22-2008, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
the argument/discussion over the reliability of the old model vs. the unknown of the new is interesting.

but the current model has a number of annoying issues that still exist.
and clearly the new model has addressed things missing from the old model.

in the grand scheme of things are you really saving yourself any legit hassle by waiting another year to get the new fit?

on the other hand...... the argument that says the new fit will already be a year old by the time it hits north america....... well that's true but all those new fits overseas will have a very short track record. so does it really matter??? i ask that as a legit question, not rhetorical.

i dont have a fit. i plan on getting the 09. but i also know my insurance will double when i do that... from $800 to $1600. so i may drag my heals longer, driving my old beat-up camry (which has yet to fail me).

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit