2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Biggest improvement I could suggest, that would get good fuel economy AND probably better power output:

TURBO DIESEL!!

Heck, a 1.5l turbo diesel putting out about 150hp, getting similar or BETTER fuel economy than the current Fit.... I'd want to buy one!

Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda has long established a trend of increasing both hp and mpg with each new engine. Never underestimate the Honda.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by kgb4187
How many maintenance things are made in the US? And what sort of things are you talking about? My Legacy turbo is one of less than 2000 in the US, yet I have no problem ordering parts from regular auto stores.
1. I didn't say anything about parts being made in the US.
2. Any kind of maintenance parts. Things that break or wear out on a car that you might need to replace.
3. Sure there may have been less than 2000 Legacy turbo's produced but there were many Legacys produced and many of the parts may be interchangeable. I mean think about it. There are more than 2000 auto parts stores in this country. You are not going to be able to walk in to every parts store and request a unique part that was made for your specific model Legacy and walk out of those stores with part in hand. In other words, if you take a car that is 100% unique and only 2000 made, it would be a pain to get aftermarket stuff for it. The average store is not going to want to take up inventory space with it and hope that someone with that rare car strolls in one day and buys it. Not to mention there would be very little profit for a manufacturer to make it without charging a higher than average price for it.
4. That being said, I have no clue at all if parts that are made for the Jazz are compatible with the cars here in North America. But thats why I said it is just a concern of mine. If they are compatible, maybe that will help out, but once again, I dont see why your local parts store would want to fill up the shelves with stuff for a car that only had 32,000 potentiol customers when you could load the shelves up with stuff for chevy s10's instead.

I have a 2001 Volvo S60 and I have to tell you it is a pain to get parts for and everything costs a lot more.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Booorrring

See, I DON'T like the new model. It already looks too much like the Yaris--or extend the front end it looks more like the Versa. It looks like yet another Japanese "appliance", it's boring as shit, and that's why I haven't bought Jap cars in decades. I like the current Fit because it's so radical, different, sharp--not like a giant gellatinous lozenge like the Civics and Accords and the Corrollas and Camrys.

Of course they're going to make it larger, slower, and more expensive. They always start with a miniature work of genius and then enlarge it biannually until its a bloated beached whale that can barely get out of its own way.

The only thing that would seriously piss me off is if they came out with a hybrid version, but there'll be enough time before I buy a Fit next year to know what the real story is on the hybrid.

Originally Posted by kurtdesch
No talk of a hybrid model,but included in the gauge cluster was a digital readout to calculate MPG, so a hybid is possible. I was told that all of the 2008 Hondas would be there on the phone but when I got there it was a little different. It was a focus group for sub compact hatchbacks. They had a Scion, Versa, Yaris, 07 Fit, and new redesign Fit there. I had to tell my dislikes and likes of each car. The picture you included is pretty close but the hood and windshield were much longer giving it a more sleek not bubblous appearance. The front grill opening was smaller but the headlights are pretty much right on. The side mirrors were black colored and attached at the window line.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:41 AM
5 Year Member
So what! The current car works great and meets our needs. Generally Honda changes models on a four year cycle. I don't know how long the Fit has been in production in the rest of the world. Every car becomes a used car as soon as you drive it away from the dealership. I still enjoy driving my 2000 Accord V6 Coupe. It has about 80,000 miles and I plan on driving it for a few more years. Next year Honda will again change the Accord, but I don't think I am going to buy one since I bought my wife the Fit in April. If you keep it long enough it either becomes a classic or just an old car.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
It's a good news to me since I'll become one of the lucky owner of the unique 30,000 2007 Fit, I proud of it

Old 08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I sorta like this new proposed look also. Maybe it is the secure bulldogish squat lowered stance and pug-nosed tunerish look with the wheels pushed out to the max.

Build it and it will sell...it's a honda. It has a character all it's own that says it means business unlike the yaris.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
I was ready to post a note to Honda asking them to add a third model to the base and sport - an "SE or VP" like they normaly do at the end of a model run - this model would include all the sport options other than the aero cladding.

But with fits still selling faster than they can be made and a new model possible in 9-18 months I dont think this is not going to happen. Guess I will have to wait for the new model!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by vzmrks13
Does anybody here want to buy a bridge? I live in the NYC metro area I own a couple and are willing to listen to offers!!!!!!
I even got one for sale in Hawaii... NAH... Well if the 2008 Fit's are to be made in N/A, then thank GOD I got mine now! You cannot beat Japan-made! Just my opinion...

Old 08-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I dont think anyone who has purchased a 2007 Fit should be upset that a new one may be coing out sooner rather than later.

The current Fit is a fantastic car, the very best (in my humble opinion) in the class by far - magic seats, great MPG, fun to drive, etc, etc.

I am holding off due to the outside style issue (I want all sport stuff w/o aero kit) and I do not need a car right now (but I am getting closer to needing one).

Feeling bad about a new model coming out soon is like feeling bad about your computer being replaced by a new "faster, cooler" model every 2 meeks or so, somethimes you just got to go for it and be happy with what you got.

No matter what it is it will be "yesterdays news" soon enough - even this new not even built yet "second generation" Fit!

Old 08-30-2006, 07:59 PM
Guys/Gals, no need to worry about the 07s. I am pretty sure that Honda wanted to bring this current Fit to the market because it saw a niche, particularly with gas prices going high. They probably wanted to see if there was a sustainable market. Looks like it was indeed a success and sustainable.

When gas goes to 4 bucks on the next major world event, trust me, you will not be disappointed you bought an 07 Fit.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM
Remember too that the decision to bring the Fit to N/A would have been made almost 2 years ago...giving enough time for safety and emmisions standards to be met. The investment in bringing the fit over for 1-2 years at the very end of it's life-cycle would be minimal in comparison to the advantages of being able to test out the N/A market and get a feel for the potential profits of selling here.

When designing the new Civic, honda claimed that there wasn't a market for the hatchback here in the US (based on slow sales for the Si). The problem, IMO with the last hatchback was that it was only offered in Si form...no Type R, no econo model, and no 5-door.

The US market has long supported the VW Rabbit/Golf thanks to an intense devotion by VW fans (and the 'coolness' factor). Now that cars like the Protege5, Mazda 3, Aveo have proven that a viable market exists within the US, Honda must take advantage of it. Bringing the old Fit here should have proven that what we want is Honda's commitment to economy, performance, and excellence ALL in one package, without the exclusion of any certain aspect.

I think that there have been some marketing and design blunders in Honda vehicles of late (the entire last Civic lineup was screwed over). What Americans like most of all is the ability to make a choices. This is why Scion succeeds in the youth market like Toyota never did. If Honda really wants to reach the broadest range of American Buyers they're proceed with the following:

Honda Fit: Sedan, 5-door, Si, and Hybrid versions
Honda Civic: Sedan, Coupe, 5-door, Si of each, Hybrid in sedan and 5-door.
Honda Accord: Coupe and Sedan. Hybrids of sedan 4 and 6 cylinder models.
Honda MPV: Accord or Civic based mini-minivan, Think Mazda5 but with Honda ingenuity. Hybrid version available.
Oddysey: Hybrid version should be added.
CRV: find a way to cram a V6 in the new model...or hybrid it.
Pilot: need a hybrid and a V8
Ridgeline: Needs a V8 and maybe a midgate.
S2000: Time to redesign with 2 engine options. Try keeping the 2.2 as a base model and then add an aluminum based small displacement V6. Need a coupe model as well. no folding hard-top; too heavy.
Element: Can it look more rough? current model is so ugly it's almost cute. Love the thing, but it doesn't really hit the "unemployed-20-something-college-graduate-male" target that they originally claimed. When I fit that target market I didn't have the money to buy one, and now I want something more efficient. Think Jeep with the next design.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:00 PM
goodness, and to think that i hate hybrids. it sells though, and now that they have the technology they need to use it.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
@ichthus - Honda's V6 makes 244-247HP. Why do they need 300+ HP in the Pilot and Ridgeline? Honda is a Japanese company, not an American one... And you forgot Honda Fit: Type-R.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
@ichthus - Honda's V6 makes 244-247HP. Why do they need 300+ HP in the Pilot and Ridgeline? Honda is a Japanese company, not an American one... And you forgot Honda Fit: Type-R.
who sells more trucks in the united states, amercan companies, or japanese?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
The V6 can do better than 260hp already....but the American market needs a V8, specifically for truck use (increase tow-capacity) and the RL...maybe even the NSX replacement. If not a V8, then the V10 that is rumored to be in development for the next NSX....problem there is that cost will make it prohibitive for use in a broad market vehicle.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by ichthus
When designing the new Civic, honda claimed that there wasn't a market for the hatchback here in the US (based on slow sales for the Si). The problem, IMO with the last hatchback was that it was only offered in Si form...no Type R, no econo model, and no 5-door.
Amen - i was in the market last year - was looking at the civics and would have bought one if the si was cheaper and a 5 door. Both honda and GM/Saab made mistakes by failing to understand the following 5 doors have!! The demise of the saab 900/9-3 5 door was a sad day...truly sad...(but not as sad as the demise of saab lol)

Anway - a Fit Si 5 door!?!?! i'm drooling now....

Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xorbe
Actually the latest Honda v6 in the 07 MDX will produce 300 hp out of 3.7L.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Keep everything the same mechanically.... but offer a 6MT! That would be the ticket!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by ichthus
Ridgeline: Needs a V8 and maybe a midgate.
What the Ridgeline needs is a redesign. I'm a big Honda fan, but if I was going to buy a truck, it wouldn't be a Ridgeline. It looks too delicate. It looks like a womans truck. The bed is too short, I don't like the unibody construction (reminds me of the old El Camino...on steroids), and I'd be afraid to throw a load of 80 lb. bags of concrete in the back. It's also way too expensive.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit