2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2009 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I like the '09 a lot. I was a few weeks from going to buy an '08 but I'm going to wait it out. The new one has a more European/upscale look to it while the current model is a little more edgy. I think the RS/Sport trim is a bit more neatly integrated and the rear spoiler is gone which is a plus to me but many people will miss it. The RS trim appears to have a black plastic inset in the rear bumper instead of the cleaner, body-color bumper of the base. I'll be interested to see how the trim levels differ in terms of features.

It sounds like Honda certainly listened to the complaints about the current Fit/Jazz. The new one appears to include a dead pedal, armrest (hopefully it will come to the US with one), telescoping steering wheel, more supportive seats, less choppy ride, and a bit more power, all complaints from current owners. If they have a vanity mirror for passenger, better paint, higher quality carpet, and maybe a bit more sound isolation and/or a bit taller 5th gear in the manual, they will have covered all the biggies that I can remember.

From zooming in on some of those initial pictures, it appears the rear brakes are still drums which is a bit of a bummer. Rear discs would have been a nice bonus.

Hopefully we'll here more details frmo the Tokyo Auto Show coming up.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
I like the '09 a lot. I was a few weeks from going to buy an '08 but I'm going to wait it out. The new one has a more European/upscale look to it while the current model is a little more edgy. I think the RS/Sport trim is a bit more neatly integrated and the rear spoiler is gone which is a plus to me but many people will miss it. The RS trim appears to have a black plastic inset in the rear bumper instead of the cleaner, body-color bumper of the base. I'll be interested to see how the trim levels differ in terms of features.

It sounds like Honda certainly listened to the complaints about the current Fit/Jazz. The new one appears to include a dead pedal, armrest (hopefully it will come to the US with one), telescoping steering wheel, more supportive seats, less choppy ride, and a bit more power, all complaints from current owners. If they have a vanity mirror for passenger, better paint, higher quality carpet, and maybe a bit more sound isolation and/or a bit taller 5th gear in the manual, they will have covered all the biggies that I can remember.

From zooming in on some of those initial pictures, it appears the rear brakes are still drums which is a bit of a bummer. Rear discs would have been a nice bonus.

Hopefully we'll here more details frmo the Tokyo Auto Show coming up.
Well with all the extra's you've mentioned ... you have essentially moved this entry level car into civic territory... I'd doubt that happen. With the Yaris in the 13k area and the fit moved up... Toyota's gonna be sittin pretty all by itself

Old 09-24-2007, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
Well with all the extra's you've mentioned ... you have essentially moved this entry level car into civic territory... I'd doubt that happen. With the Yaris in the 13k area and the fit moved up... Toyota's gonna be sittin pretty all by itself
i concur!

I just think they should drop a K20 in there for a Si trim and offer it under warranty XDDD. never gonna happen, but it saves me the trouble of hunting around for the parts and dealing with the down time.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
What moves it into Civic territory, the items that are already reviewed and pictured or the other possibilities? Of the stuff apparently already on the car, they likely won't change the suspension design or announced engine for the US market. I guess they could leave out the dead pedal and cheapen the seats, but I bet those get left in as improvements. The armrest might not make it here like the current version. Of the other items I wished for, a mirror on the sun visor won't break the bank. The paint could be as simple as a different formulation, not necessarily more $. Better carpet might cost more, but we're not talking hundreds of dollars for 30 square feet of cheap carpet.

The Fit WILL move up in size and price. Every long-running Honda model has increased in size and price as successive generations came out. These generally aren't big increases. A few hundred or maybe a thousand dollars gets you the new model with more room and features. I'd be surprised if the base model goes up $1k. If Honda offers more options, then an optioned-up RS may get into base Civic prices but with features not on the base Civic.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
So does the '09 have 126 ft/lbs or torque or 107? Im sure the first gens have 105 ft/lbs.

From the article:

and 107 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm (a very useful increase of 21 lb-ft).

If it's supposed to be 2 instead of 21....that "very useful increase" almost sounds sarcastic. haha.

Last edited by prelude_guy97; 09-24-2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
So does the '09 have 126 ft/lbs or torque or 107? I thought the first gens had 105 ft/lbs.

From the article:

and 107 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm (a very useful increase of 21 lb-ft).
107 is the correct amount.

Old 09-24-2007, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
probably just forgot to convert from JDM torque to USDM torque. i think the exchange rate is about 10 JDM lb/ft = 1 USDM lb/ft

Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by prelude_guy97
If it's supposed to be 2 instead of 21....that "very useful increase" almost sounds sarcastic. haha.
I'm hoping that if you overlay the new Fit torque over the old Fit's torque curve, at one spot you'd see a 21 ft-lb lead by the i-vtec motor, at a lower rpm -- where it needs it. I hope that's what they were trying to say, not peak torque...

Last edited by xorbe; 09-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
5 Year Member
Here's the actual plot of the new motor compared to old. The torque improvement occurs after the peak. I like the higher redline! Almost 7000...

Last edited by corey415; 09-25-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'm having a hard time reconciling that graph with Edmund editor's comments. Are those both for the USA 1.5L motor? Because everything is in Japanese. I see 1.5L on the left. If so, then the new motor is just as wimpy for around town as the current one. I don't see +29 N*m (+21 tq) on that chart anywhere -- at most I see +15 N*m near the end. I'm gonna wait for USA charts. Wow if that's true, really disappointing. I'll keep the older, more simple motor in that case.

Last edited by xorbe; 09-25-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
With regards to the Edmunds article; they made quite a few numerical errors. For example, they listed incorrect figures for simple things like cargo area and car length.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 PM
5 Year Member
I am new to this forum although been reading for awhile. I just bought a 2008 fit today and traded by civic hybrid for it(3grand worth of repairs it needed) I am suppose to pick up thursday.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:30 PM
RE: 2008 Fit

Funny thing is the one you saw was just a Prototype or you are just creating hype to something that got no physical change at all. I have a friend that works at a hond dealer and he sneaked me one of the 2008 fit catalog's and the only thing is its has more honda info in it about honda history and they added on more new color that is available in the fall which is the "Blackberry Pearl" to me its no big deal its more on the darker side of the other Vivid blue thats out and the interior options state that all fits will only come with black interior sport and base models. So I am not saying your lying but i have a book from honda as proof of whats coming out for "08

Old 09-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by heksef9
Funny thing is the one you saw was just a Prototype or you are just creating hype to something that got no physical change at all. I have a friend that works at a hond dealer and he sneaked me one of the 2008 fit catalog's and the only thing is its has more honda info in it about honda history and they added on more new color that is available in the fall which is the "Blackberry Pearl" to me its no big deal its more on the darker side of the other Vivid blue thats out and the interior options state that all fits will only come with black interior sport and base models. So I am not saying your lying but i have a book from honda as proof of whats coming out for "08
i think you're confused, they're calling it the 2008 fit on this thread because other countries (like japan) will be getting this redesigned fit for the 2008 year, and we're supposedly going to get the redesigned ones for the 2009 year in the US. and your friend doesn't have to steal you a brochure, they're free you can just order one or go to the dealer and get it yourself.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
i just picked up my 2008 last Friday and my dealer stated that a redesign was in the works for 2009 here in the US but Asia and Europe are getting it on their 2008 models.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by coldstorage5
Your full of crap, no way Honda sells this car for 1 yr. Plus other info would have been leaked.
This car has only been in the U.S.; for 1 Year BUT it has been in Japan and Europe for the last 4 years.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Newbie here

Hi everyone!

Im in the process of selling my current car (2000 Chevy Prism) and getting either an 07 or 08 Fit. I really wanted to wait for the redesigned 09 but it doesnt look like my current car can make it til then.

My options are to get one now and if I like the new redesign to trade it in for the 09.

We Shall See. I fell in love with the Fit and cant wait to have one of my very own.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Another way to look at it is that an '07 or '08 Fit will likely depreciate a couple thousand dollars over the next year, especially with the '09 being a new model and thus making it more obvious that an '07 or '08 isn't the latest model.

Or if you'd have car payments on an '07/'08, a few hundred dollars a month would quickly be more than the cost to make even a major repair on a current car.

Some people would argue don't put a lot of money in an older car because you won't get it back out, and instead put that repair money into a new car. So instead of sinking maybe a couple thousand into an old car that you won't get back, you'r sinking $15k in a new car that will depreciate away and you'll never get back. While fun, cars are about the worst place to put large chunks of money because it just depreciates to nothing. From that standpoint, spending less or putting off the spending is the better "investment".

Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by txmatt
Another way to look at it is that an '07 or '08 Fit will likely depreciate a couple thousand dollars over the next year, especially with the '09 being a new model and thus making it more obvious that an '07 or '08 isn't the latest model.

Or if you'd have car payments on an '07/'08, a few hundred dollars a month would quickly be more than the cost to make even a major repair on a current car.

Some people would argue don't put a lot of money in an older car because you won't get it back out, and instead put that repair money into a new car. So instead of sinking maybe a couple thousand into an old car that you won't get back, you'r sinking $15k in a new car that will depreciate away and you'll never get back. While fun, cars are about the worst place to put large chunks of money because it just depreciates to nothing. From that standpoint, spending less or putting off the spending is the better "investment".
if you want to look at it that way, yes, of course the 07's and 08's will depreciate. but the '09 will also depreciate as soon as soon as it rolls out of that showroom's floor. when the next model of the fit comes out the '09 will be in exactly the same boat.

really, any money you put towards a daily driver is not for investment purposes at all. it's serving it's purpose, to get you from point A to point B.

unless you are heavily modding this car and racing it or what have you, of course it will end up losing you money. all i know is i'm going to try to make my fit last as long as humanly possible so i don't have to get another car and put more hard earned cash into that one instead

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
2009 FIT pictures

Honda Worldwide | October 18, 2007 "Honda to Begin Sales of the All-New Fit in Japan"

i've been off list a while, didnt know if this was posted.

Quick Reply: 2009 Fit