2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2013: Did I make the right choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Unhappy 2013: Did I make the right choice?

I just bought my first (very own) vehicle: PMM 2013 Honda Fit. My parents are unhappy with my decision, as the 2013 Fit received horrible IIHS reviews. They would rather see me in a Civic, however, I already signed the papers and put 5k down. I was very excited, but now I am second-guessing my decision. Any input?

Last edited by fiem14; 03-12-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM
You're asking people that own this car this? And after the fact? These are questions you ask before you buy cars. I just bought mine. I love my decision after comparing to civic that I also looked at. We all have different reasons why we by the car we chose. Why did you choose the FIT? Think about the pluses.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I looked into all of this before I bought and I was OK with my decision, until my parents started wearing down my confidence with their paranoia. Why did you choose the Fit over the Civic? I know the Civic gets better mpg, but I went with the Fit because of all-around utility.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
If you haven't taken delivery, the dealer will happily put you in a civic.

Even if you have taken delivery, if it's recent, and you're buying another car there, the dealer will probably work with you.

In the Fit's defense, a lot of larger more expensive same model year cars got poor results in this test (I'm thinking of Lexus). And the survivability of such an accident where the Fit got poor marks is high. These are poor arguments for deciding in favor of buying a Fit; they're more rational for keeping one...

Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by fiem14
I looked into all of this before I bought and I was OK with my decision, until my parents started wearing down my confidence with their paranoia. Why did you choose the Fit over the Civic? I know the Civic gets better mpg, but I went with the Fit because of all-around utility.
I'm a paraplegic. I went with this car because when I have pax, they don't have to break the chair down to get in the trunk like my previous cars. Yes I have no sunroof/leather but the leather goes in next week. I'll do a small sunroof later. This all said, I love being in a car made in Japan. Its so much better built. Not a rattle. My mom has a EX-L Navi 2013 Civic. The Tech offering in her car other than having XM is practically the same. Now you may take this as being talked down do and I don't mean it as anything disparaging but you are an adult right. Your parents can say any of the stuff they mentioned but its YOUR car. You'll be driving/using it everyday. Does this car work in your daily life as YOU want? If it does, Enjoy it. As far as mpg, haven't you seen the numbers these FIT owners are getting? Most are in mid-40's. One got 51.3mpg. Again enjoy the car YOU picked/purchased.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Most people have a little regret after buying a new car, especially their first brand new car. Its not an easy decision. I've had a few threads here lately about my recent accident, et all, and I have decided to either be happy to get my Fit back or get another one. I don't know about those reviews, since I just read that they got good reviews... and the mpg's in mine are awesome, so again, not sure what the issue is there...

Here's why I am happy to keep my Fit in regards to safety... Honda lets scientists work on the safety side of their vehicles, for one, rather than car designers and straight engineers. Also, the Fit has great visibility all around, and it responds when you need to react. Since its small, you can get out of the way of things. These are all things I had to face in the last 2 weeks. Civics are not even that much larger - if you want larger, get an accord or something, but the safety difference from a Fit to a Civic I think is negligible. Just accept the small regret and let it slide away. Its your car, and as you drive it a little, you'll understand why all of us LOVE these awesome little cars.

Last edited by DeltaBond; 03-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit excels in most crash tests. Only the new partial front impact (or something to that effect) does the Fit in.

It also did in almost every single small car.

Cars are not safe, perfect bubbles, but if everyone drivesdefensively, they might be.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
The new crash test says "If you must hit a bridge abutment, hitting it squarely is safer than trying to miss and failing."

You can get yourself killed in anything. The Fit's a great all-round package, and I don't feel I'm risking my family's lives in it.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Just point out that the Fit only does worse in 1 test than the Civic. As Steve244 said, there are several luxury brands (Audi & BMW included) that also scored a 'poor' small overlap score. As did the Camry and Prius, for that matter.

I owned a 2009 Civic Coupe and it was best car I've owned...until I bought my 2013 Fit. I truly believe this is the best all-around car made. It's fun to drive, hauls a crap ton of stuff, get's good MPG, bullet proof reliability, and inexpensive to own/maintain. I'd put the Civic ahead for comfort/quietness but that's subjective.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
5 Year Member
Peace with your decision...

I think you must be in peace with whatever decision you take, otherwise you will feel uncomfortable... for whatever reasons we like the FIT, we feel strong about the good even we know the bad...

Even if someone else likes other car, it doesn't mean that yours is not good, or good enough. Of course your parents decisions/advice are important, and shall be considered....

At the end, if you don't feel comfortable anymore, it doesn't matter what we say or how we say it, you have to find a way to return it and get the one that makes you feel confident....

It doesn't matter what choice you make, you have to be in unity with your car, because, as I see it, this unity is what will help you to keep you and others safe out there...

Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
I just bought my first (very own) vehicle: PMM 2013 Honda Fit. My parents are unhappy with my decision, as the 2013 Fit received horrible IIHS reviews. They would rather see me in a Civic, however, I already signed the papers and put 5k down. I was very excited, but now I am second-guessing my decision. Any input?
Let me reply as a retired automotive engineer and fan of Consumer Reports .
First, understand simple physics says big squashes little. Sheldon says so. No amount of testing can avoid that conclusion. All of the small cars in CR ratings except the little Chevy were designed several years ago and thus the later the design the more likely to take advantage of the latest designs and metals technology. One must be aware that the testing IIHS does is not based on statistical certainty: only one car was 'tested' and thats not statistically a big enough sample to 'prove' a conjecture. It has only that car and that exact impact process performed that way. Big squashes little is the overall rule.

One advantage small cars, and especially the Fit, have is their quicker response to impending contacts. Again, simple physics says the less mass the easier and quicker to change direction. CR doesn't test that even in their lane change test. Thats not avoidance. The key is, does a given vehicle have more accidents per mile than other cars. The Fit seems not to have greater rates of accidents for their age group than other cars so thats in Fit's favor.
Finally, I recommended my Fit to my kids as I will be giving it up for a hybrid Prissy (Prius C) which I will also track readily just to stay in practice. Yes, the Prissy is slow and just as 'dangerous' as the Fit but it gets 50 mpg and at my age thats great in my budget. If I want to go fast I'll haul out the M4-12C.
So I tell your parents that their concern is understood but not agreed; if they are that concerned they should be concerned you didn't get a Hummer. Then of course your budget for gas and maintence will be 10 times greater. The Fit is for a serviceable and enjoyable vehicle that is competent in a budget.
The secret is driving with skill especially no cell phone use so you can be aware of things that can imperil your Fit. And avoid the nitwits. And thats why I recommend the Fit. Its not perfect but its way ahead of whatevers in second place. Enjoy your Fit like the rest of us !
cheers !!!

Last edited by mahout; 03-13-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Don't fall victim to the media sensationalism. It's mostly bullshit. Your parents are falling for it.

You could get killed walking your doggie. The Fit is light years safer than the cars of the 90's and 2000's. Just don't try to go full speed into a stationary wall off-center or hit oncoming traffic off-center

Like Steve said, most cars do poorly on this test, it's a new test and cars haven't been designed to pass it with flying colors yet with a few exceptions. Even big bodied cars do poorly.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
So, fiem14, did you keep the Fit?

Old 03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
All that matters is that you love it cause it's your car, not your parents.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

while you should value your parent's opinions (given that they are quality opinions), you should also listen to wat you want. especially when you are paying for the car in its entirety, who cares wat your parents say.

your parents need to learn to let go, and you need to stop listening to your parents word for word. GL!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:31 PM
I second guessed my decision the first week I took the fit instead of a impreza. Made peace with it after going to IKEA and have the peace of mind to pick up what ever I needed without having to worry about calling a friend with a bigger car or scheduling a delivery

Old 03-13-2014, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
So what would you say the chances are of you dying in a Fit and walking away in a Civic given the exact same accident? Probably as close to zero as you can get.

I think most, if not all of us, cross-shopped the Civic. And I'm sure there are plenty who went with the Civic, due to its advantages of a digital speedometer for those that can't read analog, and less usable cargo space so they can limit their buying habits.

Seriously, to me, I don't understand who would go with a Civic. Fit handles better, more utility, cheaper, and gets the same MPG. With a memory foam cut out, I'm good with it on long drives as well (6+ hours). It's just the better of the two cars (personal opinion from a former 5-time Civic owner).

Besides, can you fit 1,000+ water bottles in a Civic? Nope!

Last edited by p nut; 03-13-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Nice!!! 1,000+ water bottles. I went to Home Depot to buy 30 bags of pine mulch. The cashier told me to pull in the back of the parking lot and someone will help me load the mulch. I pulled into the parking lot in my Honda Fit and handed the guy the receipt. He did a double take on the receipt and the Fit. Without saying a word he loaded the 30 bags of mulch into the back of the Fit with disbelieve. I grinned at him and drove away.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 AM
wow! nice pic pnut

Old 03-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Dag! You thirsty!

All that weight and no damage to suspension? That's impressive. I built a retaining wall last year, so made frequent trips to the improvement stores. I was chicken and didn't haul as many bricks as I could have because I was worried about too much weight.

I've never owned a Civic, but my neighbors have two and absolutely love them. To each their own, but I looked at a lot of cars and kept returning to the Fit. My first Honda, and I absolutely love it.

Quick Reply: 2013: Did I make the right choice?