2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

warranty work for brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
warranty work for brakes

has anybody had discs/pads replaced under warranty and what was the reason?

are they willing to do the work under warranty or reluctant as it is a wear consumable item

thanks guys in advance

Old 02-02-2014, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by monkeydave
has anybody had discs/pads replaced under warranty and what was the reason?

are they willing to do the work under warranty or reluctant as it is a wear consumable item

thanks guys in advance
You did not state the age and miles / km on your car so it is hard to tell. Brakes are usually considered as a normal wear item. If you have 6k on it with brake problems you might get them replaced. If you have 60 k, good luck. They are going to tell you it is a normal wear item like tires, windshield wipers, and batteries.

I once had 3 sets of of brakes and rotors replaced in 30,000 miles by Ford under warranty. I kept warping them and Ford kept replacing them.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:27 AM
5 Year Member
it has 24000 miles and 3 years old and the last service stated 15% wear on the rear brakes which was at 16000 miles

Old 02-02-2014, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
it has 24000 miles and 3 years old and the last service stated 15% wear on the rear brakes which was at 16000 miles
So they don't need replacing yet and would appear to be normal wear so you pay.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
So they don't need replacing yet and would appear to be normal wear so you pay.

they got a 1/2 inch rust band on the outside of both faces on the discs and have small high points which dont allow the pad to get all the way to the disc surface but you can tell the pads are pressing down on the whole width of the disc because the high points have shiny wear marks on them

Old 02-02-2014, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
they got a 1/2 inch rust band on the outside of both faces on the discs and have small high points which dont allow the pad to get all the way to the disc surface but you can tell the pads are pressing down on the whole width of the disc because the high points have shiny wear marks on them
You were mentionning the amount of wear onthe rears at 15% so I replied they would or should not need replacing yet. I have 50,000 on mine and still good.

THe front rotors will show rust overnight even on a rainy day. This wears off quickly after a couple of stops and is normal. It is possible you have a warped rotor but with the mileage you have it is likely a normal wear and will not be under wty.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
i had rotors resurfaced covered under warranty.
i had to argue up to regional manager, but ultimately won because i stated if they did the appropriate pre-cert checks this would have been caught. if this went undetected what else could be wrong with it, began to question integrity of dealership, etc. he comped it.

that was around 20k i believe.
around 42k it came back. i paid to replace rotors, but it was still the same front end shake. they then comped new brakes, and it has been OK. except now there is this rhythmic click, click, click when breaking at a certain pressure. im bringing into them this week for it to be fixed. dealership warranty on those items is 12k or 12 months.

if you have to fight, fight. but do it right, not yelling/screaming.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
15% wear (85% of rear brake lining material remaining) is normal for rear brakes at 16,000 miles. The rears should last over 100K in normal use. If the opposite is true (15% remaining) then you should have changed the front pads before now (and you're going through linings 4 times faster than normal).

If the front pads have been replaced, did they do that under warranty? It sounds like you're wearing out brakes pretty quick...

If the brakes aren't pulsing, I wouldn't worry about appearance. If they are, they're probably damaged and the rotors need resurfacing and the pads replaced. If the rotors can't be resurfaced then they need to be replaced.

Brakes pads/linings aren't covered by warranty, but your dealer may goodwill part or all of their replacement at their discretion. Rotors may be covered.

There is an abuse/misuse clause in the warranty (items are not covered in these circumstances). Have you been abusing your brakes?

Last edited by Steve244; 02-02-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I guess it is highly dependent on driving, but I have had my car for over 90k and still have the original pads on it.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Well he is in the UK. Driving habits are very different from here.

I'm a bit confused about what work he needs done. He may have disc brakes on the rear being a Jazz.

Regardless, if the rears are at 15% material remaining then he's had the front pads replaced once or twice. I wouldn't expect any warranty coverage for this kind of use.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
Well he is in the UK. Driving habits are very different from here.

I'm a bit confused about what work he needs done. He may have disc brakes on the rear being a Jazz.

Regardless, if the rears are at 15% material remaining then he's had the front pads replaced once or twice. I wouldn't expect any warranty coverage for this kind of use.

no it is 15% wear with 85% remaining at 16000 and now with 24000 on the rear discs with a 1/4 inch of rust and high points on the outer rim stopping the pad going down to the surface so will it be warranty or will they charge me ?

Old 02-02-2014, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
As it's the rotors with plenty of life in the pads, if the rust is causing a performance issue, I think they'll resurface the rotors and not charge you.

If the brake pedal doesn't pulse when pressing down, I don't think it's a problem.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
As it's the rotors with plenty of life in the pads, if the rust is causing a performance issue, I think they'll resurface the rotors and not charge you.

If the brake pedal doesn't pulse when pressing down, I don't think it's a problem.

the car brakes and drives normally i would have replacements on the warranty but dont want to pay for them myself especially if it passes the mot test in a couple of weeks

cheers

Old 02-05-2014, 03:58 AM
My 2011 Honda Fit now has 117,000 miles on it and I have been through quite a few brake pads. The original pads lasted to about 17000 miles. Im not sure what the original pads are made of but they are not ceramic.

If you want to get pads that last then I would go to Firestone and get the $99 brake special. The will put Wagner ceramic pads on it which will last 50-100% longer. Aftermarket ceramic pads will not have the same feel and performance as stock, but they will last. Right now I have on the Wagner ceramic pads installed by Firestone. They have performed well in my opinion and I drive around all day long for business in the New York City area.

The thing about safety and braking is all about distance. Keep a few car lengths between you and the other car no matter what brakes you have on the car. I have 100% confidence the Wagner pads from Firestone will keep you safe just like the OEM pads. Just dont tailgate other people and it will be fine.

If you do go to Firestone, bring the online coupon and make sure they only do the brake job. They will try to sell you on other services, but dont fall for it. Before they do any work have them print out a written estimate for the $99 brake job to be certain they didnt add stuff on and there is no misunderstanding. Ive been to Firestone in the past where they tried to sneak stuff on to the bill and I couldnt say anything because I didnt request a written estimate before the work started.

Last edited by SevereService; 02-05-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
He's in England. Old England. He's got 85% brakes remaining on the rear discs (Euro Jazz) and is concerned about corrosion on the rotors. I don't think it's a problem. Some spirited driving should clean that right up.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
He's in England. Old England. He's got 85% brakes remaining on the rear discs (Euro Jazz) and is concerned about corrosion on the rotors. I don't think it's a problem. Some spirited driving should clean that right up.
Darn. Forgot he has rear discs. Well what I said about the fronts just using them will remove the overnight rust from the rotors.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Darn. Forgot he has rear discs. Well what I said about the fronts just using them will remove the overnight rust from the rotors.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 PM
People are trying to get warranty on brakes? Seriously?

Unless a caliper piles up on itself prematurely then theres no reason to even try. If you purchase a used car and worn brakes were NOT looked after before purchase? Maybe bring it up but unless it was worn to the point of replacement IE: 2-3 mm of pad and uneven worn rotors I wouldnt bother.

Before I switched to Heavy Duty I remember working at a premium German brand dealership and anytime we had complaints of brakes being squeeky, rusty, or any shakes we went for a road test/diagnostic run.

Step 1: Accelerate to 140-150 KPH.
Step 2: Full ABS emergency style stop.
Step 3: Repeat 2-3x

Done, the brakes were now rust free, possibly squeek free unless shitty pads were bought, and sometimes mild vibrations went away.