2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Honda symbol on steering wheel peeling

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:03 PM
Honda symbol on steering wheel peeling

I bought an 09 fit a few weeks ago and noticed the Honda symbol on thesteering wheel has a very thin plastic layer that has started to peel off.

Anyone else experienced this? Was the original owner supposed to have peeledit off long ago or am I supposed to leave it as long as possible?

What did you do ?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
dont breath on it?

my 09's not peeling... i suppose you can buy an aftermarket emblem and place it on there?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have an 08 and the emblem started peeling there a few years ago. The silver is now fading and it is turning white. I figure it is too much hassle to change it out or paint.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Question

For those that are experiencing peeling parts, do you keep any air freshener devices (clip on, oils, etc) in the car?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Same:/

Originally Posted by hehn
I have an 08 and the emblem started peeling there a few years ago. The silver is now fading and it is turning white. I figure it is too much hassle to change it out or paint.
Yea, mine is going through the same skin disease...

Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
same problem on mine. if it bothers me enough I'll pop it out and plastidip it.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FitStir
For those that are experiencing peeling parts, do you keep any air freshener devices (clip on, oils, etc) in the car?
I was gonna ask if anyone puts some type of armor all or a conditioner on the airbag pad???
I dont typically see the emblems peel or the chrome pull away on the wheel.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
^^^Yeah... the only time I've seen these problems was with those clip on air fresheners/oils. Must be the alcohol base (fumes) in them causing that damage... if one googles, they will find many many cases of this. I've seen this on this and many other forums.

I've been using 303 protectant since Day 1 and all my interior plastics, leather, etc looks immaculately perfect.

Last edited by FitStir; 01-14-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
^^^Yeah... the only time I've seen these problems was with those clip on air fresheners/oils. Must be the alcohol base (fumes) in them causing that damage... if one googles, they will find many many cases of this. I've seen this on this and many other forums.

I've been using 303 protectant since Day 1 and all my interior plastics, leather, etc looks immaculately perfect.
I use Smart Wax Products and have never had a problem in any of my cars.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM
It doesn't really bother that that much, but one day it will...lol

Old 01-15-2014, 08:14 AM
It's not the chrome piece that's peeling it's the extremely thin clear pieceof plastic that covers it. It's similar to when you buy an electronic devicethat comes with a thin plastic protective film on the screen. Usually you justpeel it off after buying the device.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmed999
It's not the chrome piece that's peeling it's the extremely thin clear pieceof plastic that covers it.
That's the exact problem I've seen on many other car forums (even this one had a thread or 2 on this), and in all those cases the problem was those clip on oils/air fresheners.

So I'm curious for those who posted that they're having this problem...

Old 01-15-2014, 01:10 PM
for the record, no air fresheners, no cleaning products on it.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
My '09 peeled as well. Just the thin clear coat over the chrome. Once it started peeling, i took a fingernail to it and finished entire thing. That was two years ago and luckily the chrome underneath still looks good. No air fresheners or magic potions used on my car either. I think it might be dependent on climate. I lived in austin, TX at the time and I'm pretty sure the raging heat wreaked havoc on the interior -- including bubbling and eventual cracking of the cheap vinyl cover on the available center armrest. Do you know if this car was parked outside in SC for the past 5 years?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM
That's the exact problem I've seen on many other car forums (even this one had a thread or 2 on this), and in all those cases the problem was those clip on oils/air fresheners.

So I'm curious for those who posted that they're having this problem...
I have never used a clip on (what ever that is), air freshener or oils in my car. Not sure about the previous owner....didn't seem like the type though.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by teamkitty
My '09 peeled as well. Just the thin clear coat over the chrome. Once it started peeling, i took a fingernail to it and finished entire thing. That was two years ago and luckily the chrome underneath still looks good. No air fresheners or magic potions used on my car either. I think it might be dependent on climate. I lived in austin, TX at the time and I'm pretty sure the raging heat wreaked havoc on the interior -- including bubbling and eventual cracking of the cheap vinyl cover on the available center armrest. Do you know if this car was parked outside in SC for the past 5 years?
Yes it was parked outside.

I'm not very concerned with what cuased it. More about wondering what to do....thinking I may just scratch the rest of it off.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
Weird reply. Do whatever you want with it.

Originally Posted by jmed999
Yes it was parked outside.

I'm not very concerned with what cuased it. More about wondering what to do....thinking I may just scratch the rest of it off.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
I think it might be dependent on climate.
Could be... I know NY doesn't get as hot at TX, but for the first 3+ years I had my car it was parked outside (till I finished half my garage), and we do get some 90+ degree days in the summer. You could be on to something though, because over months that heat could maybe do something...

The only other "shot in the dark" I can theorize is those hand sanitizer products... since they are alcohol based.

If you're worried about what to do just do what teamkitty did and peel the rest of the clear coat off with your finger, it's just clear coat not the chrome part... or buy a new OEM part from Honda, or replace it with the red H emblem.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM
Weird reply. Do whatever you want with it.
Sorry if I didn't make sense. Since I just bought the car, I can't speak to what may have caused it so I don't know if I care. Now that I have the car and it's peeling, I'm wondering if I should scratch it all the way off, replace it, coat it, etc. Was wondering what others have done.

I hope this reply isn't as weird.