2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Base vs. Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:18 PM
2010 Base vs. Sport

I'm planning on purchasing a used Honda Fit soon and I know there have already been some threads comparing the Base to the Sport and I understand some of the main differences, but I still have some questions! (Plus, I have an offer for a 2010 Fit Sport [automatic transmission] and some of the threads are pre-2010 so not sure if all the info. I read would still apply.)

First, I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to what the ground clearance is for both the 2010 Base and Sport.

Second, is it accurate that the Base has no security system/car alarm but the Sport does? On that note, looking at some used car listings, for a Base it says it has "audio system security." What does that mean??

Generally speaking, is the Sport worth the extra money and slightly lower gas mileage? For me the most important factors in a car are affordability, reliability, safety, gas mileage, and enough cargo space for camping trips. I don't care about any cosmetic differences.

The offer I currently have is for a 2010 Fit Sport automatic with 43,300 miles on it for $12,300 (not including "tax & license"). Trying to figure out if that's a good deal or if I could maybe get a Base with lower mileage.

(I admittedly know very little about cars but I'm trying to learn...I do know that based on my research on Consumer Reports, Phil Edmonston's Lemon Aide guide, and various websites, the Honda Fit keeps coming out on top for reliability!)

Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Happy T-Day. By just doing a simple search on cars.com for 2010/11 Sport models with less than 60,000 miles, I'm coming up with a lot of cars in the $10-11 K range. I think the price you were quoted is a bit high. Of course I did not take the time to see if they were Carfax clean, or whether any of them are nearby to your location. For not knowing much about cars, you certainly have started off on the right foot. The Fit is undeniably a "bulletproof" car compared to all other rolling machines on four wheels. Even the Toyota Highlander has had a few black dots migrate on to its otherwise stellar reliability history. I'd definitely get the Sport model, and for me, any Fit under 100,000 miles is barely broken in given the history of the Jazz/Fit. Now all you have to do is find one close enough to the bay area so you can reach out and grab it. Best of luck.

Last edited by BurntZ; 11-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Over the past few years, the base models of the Fit have become more closely equipped to the sport models (in terms of gadgetry). The current base models do have the same simple alarm system as the sport models, though I don't know what year that was added—2011 or 2012, I guess.

The "audio system security" means you have to punch in a combination code on the radio whenever the battery is disconnected. In practice, I suspect the base radio is simple and inexpensive enough that most thieves would not steal it anyway. (There's also a blinking red light that's part of the system, I guess to attract the attention of the aforementioned thieves to the fact that there's a security code required. "Blimey," they'll say, "I was going to steal this radio, but now I see it has a security code as indicated by this flashing red light. I'll just have to steal this laptop instead.")

So far as I've been able to suss out, the actual ground clearance is pretty much identical for both the base and the sport, at about 5.5" or so. The trim on the front of the sport does hang down low nearer the front of the car, making it sometimes more prone to damage from curbs and whatnot, but I don't think the actual clearance is any different.

The gas milage differences between the base and the sport are inconsequential. The drivetrains are physically identical; the differences apparently stem mostly from transmission programming for the automatic and possibly from the slightly wider tires the sport model comes with. At any rate, other things (like tire selection and especially driving style) have a much greater impact on milage.

There's no advantages that the sport models have in terms of affordability, reliability, safety, gas milage, and cargo space. If those truly are your main criteria, there's no reason for you to prefer a sport model based on them, nor to avoid it if that's the best deal available.

$12,300 does seem a bit on the high side to me, especially considering a brand new base model is about $16K. That works out to about $1000 a year depreciation on average, for what one would expect to be the most trouble-free years of a car's lifetime. (That's not to suggest that a Fit won't last a lot longer than four years/43K miles with reasonable care—entirely the opposite is true.)

Old 11-28-2013, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
I knew I wanted a Fit when I started searching about 4 months ago-like you, looks were not too important(Base VS Sport) I agree that this price is about $2K high based on my research within 500 miles of Central Calif. Searchtempest.com was a great source of leads, although about 90% of Fits in CA for sale have a Salvage Title-which I would avoid.I have bought Salvage cars before and lived with any problems that popped up, but a Fit is of a generation of vehicles that few 'shade-tree' mechanics can properly repair. Also, most(if not all) Factory Recalls are not honored by the Dealer if it is Salvaged. Keep looking! It took 4 months, but I found a 07 Sport AT with only 19K miles for less than $10K and it's everything I was looking for. And i'm partial to the look of the 1st Gen. Fits

Old 11-28-2013, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
We looked at both the Base and sport and went with the sport because of the additional options that it came with (2009 & 10 are pretty much identical). If all you are looking for is economy and a commuter car, then the base fit would suit you fine. The additional options will make/break whether you want the sport or not. The sport is a bit more responsive in the corners (rear sway bar, wider tires) and looks a little nicer with the Alloy wheels instead of steel wheels. If you are someone who doesn't mind "riding" from "Point A" to "Point B" instead of "Driving" from A to B, then Again, the Base is fine. We went for the sport because I prefer to "Drive".

~SB

Old 11-29-2013, 02:07 AM
I just got a 2013 base, 5mt. cash-deal.

Checked out both the base and sport, the average price difference is $1000-$1500(this is buying new in my case). imo, this car is too expensive once you're at the Sport price level, that maybe you're better off shopping for something else, eg Civic LX

Looking at the actual differences base-vs-sport on the 2013, the only thing the base lacked that I cared about is the Rear sway bar. Don't care for the alloy wheels, and extra plastic on the outside. In fact I prefer the base's cleaner look. Also didn't want fog lights, had them on previous cars but I can count the number of times I used them with one hand. Sport gives you a leather-wrapped steering wheel - which is nice. There're a few more minor differences(different cloth seats, etc)

So, for me, it came down if I wanted to spend the extra ~$1000 for the sway bar, and the answer was no. In Socal the sport trim is around $16500-$17000, and now you're looking at OTD price of $18000+.... at this price, you really need to think hard if the Fit is still a good deal, or perhaps you should just step up to a Civic.

or as they say, keep your cheap fun cheap...

Last edited by bighopes; 11-29-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Sorry, still confused...so the "audio system security" is a security system just for the radio or for the whole car? Even though they're obnoxious, having a security system is important for me since I live in Oakland. Keyless entry is also somewhat important since I have a baby. Those 2 things are the main things that make the Sport better to me but it sounds like newer Bases have them anyway and that I might be able to add those on for not too much money anyway.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 PM
The radios simply have an antitheft light (red L.E.D.)

You may want to look for a 2011 or 2012, right about that time honda decided to make keyless entry standard

Old 11-30-2013, 06:19 PM
2010 base does not have keyless entry or an alarm. I had the dealership add both when I bought mine. It also doesn't have cruise control so keep that in mind.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SocorroNunya
Sorry, still confused...so the "audio system security" is a security system just for the radio or for the whole car? Even though they're obnoxious, having a security system is important for me since I live in Oakland. Keyless entry is also somewhat important since I have a baby. Those 2 things are the main things that make the Sport better to me but it sounds like newer Bases have them anyway and that I might be able to add those on for not too much money anyway.
Audio security system is a "Radio Code" which needs to be entered in the event the radio is disconnected from the battery (so if a thief steals your radio, they need the code to use it someplace else) There is a blinking light that "warns thieves" in the car. it is not a whole car security system.

If I remember correctly, All FITs have keyless entry, they just don't necessarily come with a key that has the transmitter. you can get transmitters and have them programmed.

~SB

Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a 2010 Sport new in May 2010. The main reason I opted for the Sport model back then was Cruise Control. The Sport also has paddle shifters in the auto transmission version. I do not know if the Base models do. I have had no problems with the car- other than the "carpet " wearing a hole within the first year--I had the dealer replace under warranty. As Drew mentioned "the base models of the Fit have become more closely equipped to the sport model" so you may find a 2011 or 2012 base with same features as a 2010 sport.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Sports mode ftw