2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Woot!!! Hopefully I get my Honda Fit next year!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Woot!!! Hopefully I get my Honda Fit next year!!!

OMG!!! Sup guys, so cool to find a Honda Fit forum!!

I love this car so much and can't wait to own one.

I am saving up and hopefully will be able to buy one next year by Summer.

I have some questions though in general about stuff as I am brand new to driving cars, buying cars, insurance etc.

1) My car will be street parked - I don't see this changing anytime soon as I am nowhere near able to buy a house and I like simply renting an apartment - Now is this really bad for me owning a Fit? Some friends say parking on the street tells everyone to mess with my car, but so many people park on the street...it is so common, should I fear this? I don't have a garage or anything...

2) Is the Honda Fit really a wheel thief magnet? I would hate to get my new Fit and have my wheels taken!!!!

3) Will insurance for a Fit and a Fit Sport differ by a lot? I want the Fit Sport much more than the Fit!!!

4) I don't even know what my insurance will be like, I am a brand new driver...I also won't be buying a car between now and when I get my Fit, so that may be wasted months that where I could have had insurance counting down the discounts? What I mean is, 6-12 months from now will insurance give me cheaper rates because I had a driver license for that long? Or do I need to be insured to some kind of car for it to start timing me before I get discounts?

5) Is it OK to pimp up the car when I build it. I like Door Sills and Fancy padded side door buttons etc...or should I avoid these to save some money?

6) I live in NYC, so is it a good city car?

7) What are good alarm systems? Should I let the dealer install their alarm system and then upgrade to a fancier alarm system at a technician later on?

8) What are some good criminal deterrents to fit into the car? (no pun intended!!! Or maybe it was!!! )

Thank you all for your help.

I love the Fit!!!!

Old 10-17-2013, 09:20 PM
1,6) depends on your area. homecrest area and sheepshead bay area is good so far outside of these useless people who cant seem to parallel park.
2,7,8) you're thinking too much.
3,4) different insurer different rates.
5) imo pay off car first. unless you're itching to do something to make it stand out, your car your choice.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:07 PM
The best theft deterrent I've seen so far (or, the one that made the most sense and made me LOL) was blue and red LED strobes. I've seen them in repair shops etc. flashing away all night long.

Sends a subliminal message that would un nerve even the most hardened criminal.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
Parking on the street comes with all sorts of issues at times. Rear ends. Car accidents. Dings. Scratches. You name it.

Get wheel locks if you don't want your rims stolen.

If you are a 16-18 year old kid, expect to pay a lot in insurance. Don't really matter on the car. And by the sounds of it you are young and new so yeah you'll be paying a bit.

Sport or base, doesn't really matter. Sport has some minor modifications to it that do make it nicer. But if you are gonna mod your car yourself, might as well start from base.

You are going to want to do mods yourself. Going to a shop and paying, well that gets expensive and quite Frankly is a waste. Sure you'll need a mechanic for some stuff, most things you should try to do in your own if possible.

Lastly, in a years time, you may not even be looking at a Fit. I remember starting off in a car forums when I was much younger with my first car. Always said I was gonna rock an old school 3 series couple, like 89. I ended up with a "91 prelude 4 wheel steering. That car was unreal.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM
LOL, I probably came off young and hyper in my original post.

I am 27, just got my driver license.

Plan on completing defensive driving at NY DMV (I think they do it online or something)

I also plan on getting an insurance quote from State Farm, as they have some kind of Safe Driver package that will reduce insurance more.

I am hoping with the combination of my age, defensive driving course, Honda Fit, and the Safe Driver package...then maybe the insurance won't be too crazy.

Is it a workable idea to buy a base fit, and then mod it to look a bit cooler like the Fit Sport bodykit included at dealers/Honda website? I really like that body kit, but the base Fit aint too shabby either.

I am not much of a modder, but may look into some mods here and there as time goes by.

And I plan on owning this for many years, not that much into cars...but I would really like to own one, and the Honda Fit really catches my eye...I love it, and I hear a lot of good things about it.

Thanks for the tips so far everyone.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wow. You are 27 and just getting drivers license? Okay fair enough. To get on that topic you will still be considered a new driver, so even though you have age on your side, you lack experience on the roads. Well thats generally how it'll work in Ontario, May be different in the US. Safe driver package will help I guess, but if you've never driven on the road how can you qualify for a safe driver package? How does the insurance company know your capabilities as a driver? I know when you pass driving school you get like a 15-20% discount, but people are still seen paying $300+. Also depends on type of coverage. Is it just liability? Or comprehensive included. Many things can affect your insurance rate.

Modding it will always be fun my friend. You can learn. This board is amazing, and there are plenty if helpful websites. Sure there will be things you can't do. Unless your buddy the master mechanic who paints his car once a week and motor swaps v dubs like you wouldn't believe. I havea buddy like that. Also has a shop so he's got it made. But swamping bumpers installing fogs, putting Mugen or JDM Parts never too difficult. As long as you take the time and understand and know what you are doing you are good. Don't take on something you can't do. Know your limits and you'll be good. When I was 17 did a gas tank swap on a 89 EF hatch. Some idiot at the part store gave me speaker wires to wire the fuel pump. I was so young. Dididnt know better. Ended up blowing my master ECU. $300 later I was back on the road. Expensive lesson.

Mod the Fit as you see fit. Haha. They make plenty of parts to give you a different look over a sport. Check some of the user photos. Some dudes here have some real nice fits.

Oh yeah parking on the street who cares really. Get insurance. Haha. But yeah you will always have higher risk of something happening oppose to parking in a garage or parking space at your building. If you do go with nice rims. Seriously I would throw all wheel locks on it lol. A little excessive I know, but it'll prove a point to a their. I will not be had. Lol. I've seen too many car with no wheels on bricks.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 10-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Fit is a great car. Having said that, I have State Farm and I've always found that the compact and subcompact cars seem to be surprisingly expensive to insure. My agent tells me that they're typically driven by high risk drivers. Our brand new Outback with identical coverage is cheaper to insure than the Fit. I'm finally at the point in my life, between age and where I live, that the cost of insurance isn't all that onerous any more, but it's something for you to consider in NYC. At least you're not under 25.

As for the rims, I have a friend who lives in northern Manhattan (Inwood) and he thought long and hard about the wheel theft issue before he bought a Fit. I'd at least get wheel locks.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:04 AM
state farm + progressive were the 2 most expensive choices when i was picking out insurance. . . i went with geico, they even have an instant price quote on there site

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
street parked... not ideal for new popular car that theives want wheels. in addition to you being on a budget and all not sure if this new car will bring you happiness or just paranoia and worry.

i recommend you get an aftermarket alarm with tilt sensor, wheel locks (which doesnt do much), and $0 comprehensive on your insurance.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Wow. You are 27 and just getting drivers license? Okay fair enough. To get on that topic you will still be considered a new driver, so even though you have age on your side, you lack experience on the roads. Well thats generally how it'll work in Ontario, May be different in the US. Safe driver package will help I guess, but if you've never driven on the road how can you qualify for a safe driver package? How does the insurance company know your capabilities as a driver? I know when you pass driving school you get like a 15-20% discount, but people are still seen paying $300+. Also depends on type of coverage. Is it just liability? Or comprehensive included. Many things can affect your insurance rate.

Modding it will always be fun my friend. You can learn. This board is amazing, and there are plenty if helpful websites. Sure there will be things you can't do. Unless your buddy the master mechanic who paints his car once a week and motor swaps v dubs like you wouldn't believe. I havea buddy like that. Also has a shop so he's got it made. But swamping bumpers installing fogs, putting Mugen or JDM Parts never too difficult. As long as you take the time and understand and know what you are doing you are good. Don't take on something you can't do. Know your limits and you'll be good. When I was 17 did a gas tank swap on a 89 EF hatch. Some idiot at the part store gave me speaker wires to wire the fuel pump. I was so young. Dididnt know better. Ended up blowing my master ECU. $300 later I was back on the road. Expensive lesson.

Mod the Fit as you see fit. Haha. They make plenty of parts to give you a different look over a sport. Check some of the user photos. Some dudes here have some real nice fits.

Oh yeah parking on the street who cares really. Get insurance. Haha. But yeah you will always have higher risk of something happening oppose to parking in a garage or parking space at your building. If you do go with nice rims. Seriously I would throw all wheel locks on it lol. A little excessive I know, but it'll prove a point to a their. I will not be had. Lol. I've seen too many car with no wheels on bricks.
I will definitely be researching modding later on after I get the car, the experience of first owning my Fit will be overwhelming for a good while alone...lol...

For that Good Driver package from State Farm, its more like something you sign up and have to maintain being a good driver based on their stats to keep that discount going I think.

I will have to park on the streets just like many others here living in NY, not much I can do about it. Just need to buy the car I like and make sure its insured with as much theft deterrents I can afford.

Originally Posted by doctorz
Fit is a great car. Having said that, I have State Farm and I've always found that the compact and subcompact cars seem to be surprisingly expensive to insure. My agent tells me that they're typically driven by high risk drivers. Our brand new Outback with identical coverage is cheaper to insure than the Fit. I'm finally at the point in my life, between age and where I live, that the cost of insurance isn't all that onerous any more, but it's something for you to consider in NYC. At least you're not under 25.

As for the rims, I have a friend who lives in northern Manhattan (Inwood) and he thought long and hard about the wheel theft issue before he bought a Fit. I'd at least get wheel locks.
Yes, I will definitely be getting wheel locks, regular alarm, an aftermarket tilt alarm, window etching etc....whatever I can afford.

Originally Posted by SieGunso
state farm + progressive were the 2 most expensive choices when i was picking out insurance. . . i went with geico, they even have an instant price quote on there site
Wow really? A friend I knew said Geico wanted nothing to do with him after he first got his insurance

Originally Posted by kenchan
street parked... not ideal for new popular car that theives want wheels. in addition to you being on a budget and all not sure if this new car will bring you happiness or just paranoia and worry.

i recommend you get an aftermarket alarm with tilt sensor, wheel locks (which doesnt do much), and $0 comprehensive on your insurance.
Yea there may be paranoia, but I will probably shake it off. Really want to own this car for a long time, and I am only getting older...lol...

I will definitely be saving up to add additional theft deterrents for my car.

The tilt alarm sounds good, and was also recommended to me by a friend. As long I have a good amount of deterrents, then I will be fine...if something happens, what can I do? Not like I can buy a house or get a garage very fast...and gotta own a car sometime right? Can't overthink it too much.

Thank you all for the tips.

Last edited by iLOVEmyFITwoot!; 10-18-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Street parking sucks. All the bumper dings and scratches I have are from street parking for a year. Just accept that it will happen, because it will.

Originally Posted by SieGunso
Progressive is and continues to be the cheapest rate I can find, nobody has been able to match or beat it (i've been shopping), but i've been with them for quite a few years, so that may be why. I've even got a friend that works with Farmers and he said he couldn't do it. OP just shop around for insurance from well established insurance companies and pick the best rate. No use in getting insurance from some cut-rate place if they're a pain in the ass to deal with when you need them. Get the lowest deductible you can comfortably afford.

If you get a base don't worry about wheel locks, tilt alarms and all that, nobody is going to steal your steel wheels. Nobody is going to steal your car either more than likely (base OR sport). If you get a Sport get wheel locks. If a tilt alarm + install costs more than your deductible don't bother. If your wheels get stolen more than once move to a new neighborhood.

Things that will happen:

You will get bumper dings
You will get door dings
You will get paint nicks and scratches
You may get your window broken out, alarm or not. Maybe even for no reason. Maybe for the change in your dash pocket. Maybe for your empty backpack you left on the floorboard.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
My favorite motto for the Fit. "Everything Fits in the Fit". Haha. Don't be to literate real, but I tell you. A lot of stuff will fit.

Okay in understand your safe driver package. As oh stay with State Farm. Keep a good record your rates are reduced. I understand.

Don't get me wrong. Sport is nice. But correct me if in wrong. It's basically the same car. Minus some do dads. Lol. Like bumpers and such. Cosmetics if you will. You can always get yourself a nice bumper that's different. I had more to this thought. But I work traffic court all day and am exhausted. Lol. I hope I made sense. Haha.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:28 PM
I accept the fact that things will happen to the car, will just do my best to add stuff on it to help deter any evildoers!!! lol

I kinda want to get the Sport as I like how it looks initially, and would be lazy to go out and look for cool bodykits so soon, could modding void my warranty too???

Sport also has 6 speakers, instead of the base 4? Is the sound much different?

Also, another question.

Is it a good idea to wait until the release of the 2014 to get a 2013 Fit? Will it discount the old 2013 model by a lot? Will there be year end discounts this year to clear out extra Fits in the dealer to get ready of 2014 release? In general how do car model discounts work? Is there a magic time to purchase a vehicle to save a good amount of money?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:30 PM
BTW, how much will the 2014 cost on release?

Any MSRP predictions?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Progressive is and continues to be the cheapest rate I can find, nobody has been able to match or beat it (i've been shopping), but i've been with them for quite a few years, so that may be why. I've even got a friend that works with Farmers and he said he couldn't do it. OP just shop around for insurance from well established insurance companies and pick the best rate. No use in getting insurance from some cut-rate place if they're a pain in the ass to deal with when you need them. Get the lowest deductible you can comfortably afford.
I've done some shopping around as geico was not my first choice, originally was going to add my name on my mom's insurance hoping it'll be cheaper but too much hassle there so i went solo. I too am a new driver without a previous record much like the OP also i am around same age, so that may or may not have been considered into the estimate. I've also talked to "agents" that helped me search around and gotten around the same price ranges as state farm and progressive, they also heavily suggested i go with progressive for some "odd" reason. other's i've looked into were esurance (part of farm iirc) nationwide, liberty, and a bunch of random others. 1 thing i have noticed before calling geico is never mention "mods" of any sort to them, be it rims or tints or anything else. they seem to be pretty anal about it.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I've always got great hassle free service from Progressive, so I stick with them. I've had a few claims and their customer service has been great with me. Yes new drivers may be more expensive, I had liability when I was new so idk much about that unfortunately.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
Why not buy something cheaper and learn to drive for awhile, then buy a Fit?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Why not buy something cheaper and learn to drive for awhile, then buy a Fit?
Well I don't really NEED to drive.

I really want to get a car right now and drive, as I find it very fun...but I figured dropping $3000 - $5000 on a nice cheap used car just sets me back that much when I know what car I want and don't really need to drive now.

I still think about just buying a used car right now, but I dunno...

Old 10-20-2013, 07:47 PM
You should spring for the cost of indoor parking. My sister lives in Spanish Harlem and my brother lives like 12 blocks east.
Her Mercedes was destroyed when a drunk swiped 3 or 4 cars parked on the street.

Lucky me, I live where you can leave your windows down and the keys in the ignition when you go get your milk and veggies.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Mayberry??

Quick Reply: Woot!!! Hopefully I get my Honda Fit next year!!!