2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

White smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 AM
White smoke

Is it normal that my 2013 1.5 jazz sometimes emits white smoke. Tnx for accepting me as a member. What brand of unleaded gas is best preffered for honda jazz

Old 09-17-2013, 09:42 AM
Condensation burning off.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by mkane
Condensation burning off.
Tnx for the comment sir, im a newbe i mean is that normal sir tnx or what must i do?

Old 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
It's normal in cooler more humid air. We see it all the time here on cooler days. One of the products of combustion is water vapor, you just don't normally see it if the air around the exhaust is warm enough.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's normal in cooler more humid air. We see it all the time here on cooler days. One of the products of combustion is water vapor, you just don't normally see it if the air around the exhaust is warm enough.
Tnx sir very well said. Godbless

Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Banned
"White smoke" is STEAM, "blue smoke" is burning OIL, and "black smoke" is unburned FUEL (running rich). Has been such for about a century or more.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
in warmer climes (i.e. Philippines) you might go a century and not notice this phenomenon. It's not intuitive that exhaust includes a lot of water vapor.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned
The point of my post concerns the basics of auto mechanics,and it went right over your head as usual. Whether in tropical climates or at the North Pole, steam coming from the exhaust can also indicate a warped cylinder head and blown head gasket allowing coolant to turn to steam in the combustion chambers and flow out the exhaust.

Again- white "smoke" is steam, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is excess, unburned fuel.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Ahhh yes, I forgot, anytime seeing water vapor from a car's exhaust you should immediately start shopping for a new engine...

To the OP, if your car is exhausting visible water vapor after it's warmed up, and losing coolant, you should have it checked.

To Triskelion, son of Loud, please consider the poster's location, climate etc.

For anyone else, here's a primer on exhaust water content.

Last edited by Steve244; 09-18-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add snotty comment.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned
Ahhh yes, I forgot, anytime seeing water vapor from a car's exhaust you should immediately start shopping for a new engine...
Yes, you would do that.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Banned

To the OP, if your car is exhausting visible water vapor after it's warmed up, and losing coolant, you should have it checked.

To Triskelion, son of Loud, please consider the poster's location, climate etc.

For anyone else, here's a primer on exhaust water content.
The OP complained about "white smoke" when it isn't smoke at all. I provided the correct identification of vapors being generated from cars by color of the vapor. There can be many sources for those vapors. And the Loud that you mention is an attention seeking child just like you, using car forums to inflate your ego.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:08 PM
I don't really see how anyone can make a call on this with such little info.Is the op seeing white smoke at warm up or under load after warm up while driving?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by zilla8
I don't really see how anyone can make a call on this with such little info.Is the op seeing white smoke at warm up or under load after warm up while driving?
It doesn't matter. There is no such thing as white smoke. If it is white, it is steam, period. The conditions under which the steam is produced can help to diagnose where the water is coming from (outside the engine or inside). If there is steam in the exhaust at warm-up, the source is most likely condensation collected in the muffler and exhaust system. If the steam is visible in the exhaust with a warm engine under load, and the coolant level gets lower on a regular basis, the source of the water is most likely a leak from inside the engine indicating head or head gasket problems.

Intelligent people would fix the problem, not necessarily "look for a new engine".

Last edited by Triskelion; 09-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
The OP complained about "white smoke" when it isn't smoke at all. I provided the correct identification of vapors being generated from cars by color of the vapor. There can be many sources for those vapors. And the Loud that you mention is an attention seeking child just like you, using car forums to inflate your ego.
Well at least we agree on a couple of things.

And you're being a bit of a prick. The white stuff exiting the exhaust is water vapor, and it is condensation (both responses given before you blundered in). It could be steam but technically this depends on whether it's the result of water being heated (not gaseous vapor being cooled). Most of the time the white vapor seen from exhausts is the result of water vapor, a product of combustion, condensing when it hits cooler air. And given the cultural differences one person's steam is another's smoke, especially where English isn't spoken that much.

Now go inflate your ego some more.

Originally Posted by Triskelion
Intelligent people would fix the problem, not necessarily "look for a new engine".
sorry, my sarcasm was over your head...

Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Just check to see if coolant level is down.

Also, avoid using Prestone or any other brand coolant. It is reccommended that you use the Honda coolant (blue stuff). It is compatible with the materials used in cooling system components.

BTW, I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. In cold weather, if a car isn't blowing white smoke in the morning, there's something wrong with the car, LOLOLOLOL.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:14 PM
You do NOT have to use only honda coolant.

all you need to do is find coolant that is rated for aluminum components. Which is almost any offshelf coolant nowadays.

Honda has NOT changed their base coolant mixture for YEARS. They added a few additives here and there to extend its service life, but in all honesty you should change your coolant every 4-5 years regardless of the type. This keeps the coolant system fresh, allows longer life out of the waterpump, prevents crud building up in system, and allows the car to maintain 100% of its cooling ability.

All drivers do not need to maintain use of honda only maintenance parts and fluids. What you need to do is READ and RESEARCH on the parts and fluid you buy for it so that you know they will work with the car and maintain its quality and piece of mind