2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2010 Rear Ended Fit Should I Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM
if rebuilt title = NO manufacturer Warranty. I know, i have a rebuilt title car. If a clean title fit sport sells for $12,000 offer $10,000 for that one. i personally would not buy another car that has been in an accident. Go drive the car and listen for any squeaks or rattles, they can be annoying over the life of the vehicle. Make sure you have a trusted, experienced mechanic look at it.
Trust me, the fee the mechanic will charge will be miniscule compared to any additonal costs if you over look anything.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I would have a problem buying a vehicle that has been in a accident. For that reason I only buy new vehicles now days but, not everybody can do that. The problem I see is getting a low mileage fit with a manual transmission I see plenty of used fits but mostly automatic or if manual high mileage. Don't know where you live but if this is close could check this one out not a sport.

2009 Honda Fit only 22900 mles

Used 2010 Honda Fit - Rick Case Mazda of Duluth - 691453043 - CarsDirect.com

Older but Certified could lower the price

Used 2008 Honda Fit - Honda Morristown - 691181683 - CarsDirect.com

Last edited by cjecpa; 08-21-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I really appreciate everyone's response and ideas!

I was planning on looking at it myself, I am somewhat mechanically minded as I do my own maintenance on all my cars and I have done quite a bit of research as of lately in what to look for and how to spot problems. Eric the car guy has some killer videos on YouTube. Right now, I have a 1990 Mazda Protege, 2002 Toyota Avalon, and a 1975 Porsche 914 that I keep running. However, the Mazda is going bye bye as soon as the Fit arrives, it has a cracked windshield, no rear glass, transmission is acting up, paint is half on half off, rust, it has served its purpose, definitely not worth it to me to put the money in to fix it.

I have thought about the low mileage a little bit. It can be a concern, but I also do realize that some people just like to get new cars every couple years and don't drive a lot. Or perhaps the Fit is just not as quiet or comfortable as someone hoped it would be. This person is asking for top dollar considering it has been in two accidents. He originally listed it for $13.7K (which is better than excellent on KBB), then he realized that was a dream and dropped it down to $12.9K within a week.

I agree with you cjecpa, I would much rather purchase a vehicle that has not been in an accident. You are definitely right, there are not many manual sport fits sold by owner, at least near the state of Georgia. I really have my heart set on a sport, I have been ignoring all the base models. Thanks for the links!

I am really leaning towards not getting it. However, I am thinking I may go out to see the car if it is still available this weekend. It may be a good learning experience if nothing else just by going out to see it.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think going and seeing it, at least as a test trial, is an outstanding idea. I took the train 2 hours down to Williamsburg to see the first Fit I looked at seriously buying, with the full intention of driving it home. It was a bit scary hanging around Amtrak stations with $8000 in cash my pocket. After shocking the owner as I poured over his car for 1.5 hours, I ended up taking the train home. I did not like some of the things I saw and we could not agree on a lower price. A month later, I ended up driving nearly the same distance to another Fit in that general area to pick up my (now) car after buying it sight unseen over the phone. Not only because I read hundreds and hundreds of posts on this website, but actually crawling through the first Fit prepared me to ask the right questions of the former owner of my (now) Fit and buy it right over the phone, with cash in hand, as I drove the two hours down to get it. Should my plan have backfired and if I had found something evil on my (now) Fit, I still could have walked away, but I didn't because I had done all my homework and I knew the guy was telling me the truth over the phone. So taking the train to see that first one and seeing what people were selling (with plenty of water in the spare tire well; no fluid changes, etc.) was just what I needed to prepare me to find the right Fit at a great price and beat the dealers to a great bargain. I wish you the same.

Last edited by BurntZ; 08-22-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:31 PM
BurntZ, that is an awesome story! Hahaha! Thanks for sharing it! That definitely makes me want to go out and see it all the more.
I know when I purchased our Avalon for $10K in cash, it was a bit nerve-wracking carrying that much around in my pocket. The bank teller looked at me very strangely and asked me a couple times how much I wanted to withdraw. Soon as I had the money I felt like everyone in the bank had their eye on me as I walked out, ready to jump me for the cash as soon as I left the bank.

My wife keeps telling me we ought to go to Williamsburg to see all the pretty homes, maybe I should expand my search to Williamsburg and kill two birds with one trip.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Monster: it was funny how after I bought the car in the Richmond/Williamsburg area that every time there was a posting on craig's list for floor mats and the like, it was back down in that area. I should have just checked in to a motel 666 and camped out there for a month and I would have come home with a car full of GD3 goodies. I feel sorry for the first guy I tried to buy a Fit from. He was on his lunch break and a very nice guy, but was totally shocked by my thorough exam of his car. He just had no clue about cars and did not know he should have replaced the fluids from time to time; nor did he even know about the water under his spare tire, nor the water that had seeped in through his rear door and made a mess under the carpet. In the end, it was too much mold eradication for me, so I'm glad I spent that day at William and Mary and around the greater Williamsburg metro and had a nice leisurely train ride to remember. You should have seen me though, with my hand in my pocket the entire day ensuring that none of the critters in the train stations grabbed my Honda money. People probably thought I was really into pocket pool, but then again, so was every person hanging around the train station.

Last edited by BurntZ; 08-22-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
There's lots of Fits. Buy one that hasn't been crashed. My two cents.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:13 AM
BurntZ, that's funny, that area is fit country for you! That car definitely sounds like one too many problems, good thing you caught all that! Dead giveaway! What an experience!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 AM
Well, change of plans for me. Another fit posted yesterday morning on autotrader:
Cars for Sale: 2011 Honda Fit Sport in Davidson, NC 28036: Hatchback Details - 353416089 - AutoTrader.com
This one looks like the one!!! I spoke to the owner and he sounds cool, car sounds nice, no problems, no accidents. He has been changing the oil regularly and rotated the tires. He said he is getting rid of it because he really needs a truck.
I am about to leave this morning to make the 4 hr drive to go check it out. His price is reasonable according to kbb and edmunds. He said he is a little negotiable, he said maybe at most a couple hundred dollars.
I plan to give it a really thorough inspection and if no problems I should have it by about 1pm! We will see. I'm glad I listened to you guys and waited, this sounds like a much better car. Autocheck shows all good, no accidents or any problems.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
And Davidson is a lovely idyllic college town, well worth a stop for coffee and a walk around. But it's also a hub of nascar activity hmmmm.

tires need air.

Last edited by Steve244; 08-24-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:28 AM
Yeah I noticed the indicator was on. I asked the owner about it and he said it's really sensitive. I'll check the tire pressure when I get there.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
It's well within the factory warranty, wouldn't worry about it...

Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM
Well, we ended up getting it for $13,200. It's not perfect but I think it will work! They had a dog and there is dog hair everywhere and there are quite a few scratches on the car, as well as the outside being really dirty from sitting under some trees. Surprising considering its only a 2011. But the important thing is that I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong with it. I am now a brand new happy Fit owner!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
congrats! yeah the seats are hair magnets. Maybe try one of those lint removers for clothing. Surprising people will sell cars dirty. That's a no-brainer.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Banned
Or cheaper just wrap some masking or scotch tape around your fingers STICKY side out and pat the hair do not rub.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Good ideas! I will need to do that as soon as I get some time.