2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

New Fit concern

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
MMP
New Fit concern

I bought a 2013 automatic a few days ago. On the way home, the TPMS light came on. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow.

The car now has 65 miles on it........should I be concerned that it is showing an average MPG around 20? Or is it too soon for the car to give accurate readings.
The fuel gauge hasn't move that much, it's just under the "F".

I'm new, don't know a thing about cars.......can you tell?

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MMP
I bought a 2013 automatic a few days ago. On the way home, the TPMS light came on. I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow.

The car now has 65 miles on it........should I be concerned that it is showing an average MPG around 20? Or is it too soon for the car to give accurate readings.

Thanks for any help.
I've found the TMPS to be very particular. Make sure your tires are inflated to 35psi and the light should go out within a mile or so after inflating all tires to the proper PSI.

In regards to your MPG, where are you driving and how hard are you on the has pedal? 65 miles is too soon to be worrying about the MPG,

Save your money by inflating the tires to the proper PSI and drive your car.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
MMP
Thank you. Good to know 65 miles is too soon to tell re: MPG.

I've mostly driven in a lot of traffic lights. I think the largest stretch of hwy was about three/four miles.

Thanks again. I'll fix the tires.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Motor needs to break in a bit, plus honda car computers have whats calleda fuel trim to adjust based on environment and how heavy your right foot is.

I wouldnt worry about mpg until its got at least 1,000 miles on it.

Your first oil change will be between 6-9k miles depending on how you drive. I wouldnt personally recommend following the oil life meter the first few oil changes. Just figure roughly 6-9k depending on how hard you drive it.

Honda had a 7500 mile oil change on regular 5w-30 throughout the late 80s and early 90s. They certainly have not gone down in quality

Old 05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
MMP
Thanks for all the help! My neighbor checked my tires. He said three were at 40, one at 30, so he filled that one. Light still on so I'm going to swing by the dealership. Now I'm thinking I should have him reduce all four to 35........I'll get it worked out. Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
There's a pre-delivery inspection (PDI) procedure that initializes the TPMS system (involves letting out some air and and refilling). Here's a link to the PDI for a 2010 (should be identical). Check for other things the dealer may have failed to do (body plugs and strakes, steps 22, 26 are a biggee). And make them comp you some floor mats or something for your inconvenience!

Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 PM
MMP
Steve244, thanks for the tip! It needs a new sensor so I scored some floor mats for the inconvenience.
Thanks!

Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by MMP

Thanks for any help.
The same exact thing happened to me, I bought my new Fit and the next day TPMS light on.
Owners manual said bring it into the dealer. Before I did that I brought it over to the repair shop where I have a relationship for over 25 years, I went over to show them the car and then I just happened to mention the TPMS light, I already made an appointment with the dealer for the next day. At my local shop they checked the tires, they were all low, I watched as they inflated the tires to 32lb and also the spare needed air. The computer they have was not updated yet to 2013 so they could not reset computer. Anyway I drove off with the correct pressure and the light was still on. Now the next day when I went to the dealer, where you can not go in the back and watch, they came out and told me the tires were over inflated to 60lb and they corrected it and now the light is off. I know this was BS because the air inflate pump at the shop where we put in air is state of the art and the pressure was exactly 32LB. I know the dealer reset it but for some reason would not admit it. The car salesman told me almost all the customers who buy Fits come back during the same week with the same problem..

Old 09-28-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by thekro
The car salesman told me almost all the customers who buy Fits come back during the same week with the same problem..
That tells me the dealer is failing to perform pre-delivery inspections correctly. The bit about being inflated to 60psi is crap; you would have noticed the hard as rocks ride if that were the case.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244
That tells me the dealer is failing to perform pre-delivery inspections correctly. The bit about being inflated to 60psi is crap; you would have noticed the hard as rocks ride if that were the case.
Agreed. My dealer didn't do the check in on my car, so my TPMS light turned out on my way home with it. Luckily I read online how to do it myself. Needless to say, I never went back to that dealer.