2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Please help!

Hey everyone, I recently got back my ge8 from the coast. I purchased some jdm headlight housings, but I'm not sure which oem HID bulbs fit them. Could someone provide a picture of their oem bulbs or simply the parts number? Any input given is greatly appreciated.

~Vince

how do i print screen

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator
did u buy them with ballasts? if not, then u can probably get your own ballasts and lamp type..

Old 05-14-2013, 09:57 AM
are the usdm ballast interchangable with the jdm ones? thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
not that we know for sure. u may be able to check. try plugging in your usdm sockets and see if they fit.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
will do! thanks for the prompt responses
gonna get these tails to go with the flow!

screen shot in windows

Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
please let us know how the HIDs work on those headlight housings. we have doubts if they are actual HID headlights since they look similar to the non-HID headlights.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
There's clearly no projector in there, so how could it be meant for HIDs?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Point of order: HID is High-Intensity Discharge and instead of an electrical filament that glows incandescently, utilizes an arc of electricity through some exotic gas. As such it requires a driver module to produce high enough voltage while regulating current (much as an old fashioned ballast would). These require an external "projector" to focus and distribute the light effectively without blinding oncoming drivers.

Normal headlights are incandescent and for the last 30 years or so filled with halogen gas instead of a partial vacuum. Halogen offers the property of allowing the super-hot evaporated metal filament to coalesce back to a solid state prolonging life and contributing to the ability to make brighter bulbs. These bulbs allow an internal metallic light shield (not possible with HID lamps) to distribute light (low beam) making an external projector unnecessary.

Posers sticking HIDs in their halogen designed headlamps should be made to watch Barney videos non-stop.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
For the US headlights the bulb size are H4. Not sure about JDM headlights.

Btw. Nice tails. Looks like a clear version of theEvilone's pair

Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM
lights

they were advertised as HID, so what would be the proper way to acquire oem hid lights(non halogen)? Do such head lights(oem hid) even exist?
What about these??

image hosting 10mb limit

Last edited by Imfit12187; 05-14-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
oh, and doesn't the short JDM nose have differently shaped housings than USDM?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:09 PM
I guess Im a poser for wanting HIDs in my car.

Or maybe I simply saw some setups that did NOT glare nearly as bad as other vehicle's housings.

Some of us like being able to see, especially since I have no want to burn up my harness using overpowered aftermarket halogen bulbs.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Japan shows it with HIDs. Maybe they have a design that doesn't require a projector housing. However the google translated description implies a complex projector mechanism:

Discharge headlights <HID>
(high / low beam, auto-leveling / auto light control mechanism)

To increase the sense of security at the time of the rainy weather and the road at night in a large amount of light, and also contribute to fuel consumption in power-saving. It is the auto light control mechanism with which lights automatically becomes dark.

Lings doesn't show anything but Halogen (but this is for the 09 model year).

Old 05-14-2013, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
That "JDM" housing has what appears to be TWO openings (2nd is below where one normally puts the bulb in). To me, that implies that the second opening is for the shield.

And that, could be the complex part as there would be an attached module controlling it.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
So, they've somehow got a non-projector hid headlamp?

Never heard of that before.

And for those putting HID Pnps in their stock housings: it looks like shit, and you're blinding oncoming drivers near and far away from you.
I don't care how good you think your "cutoff" is. I see idiots driving around with these everyday... They probably think they look "badass". Sigh.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Are you guys certain the 2nd hole isnt for dedicated DRLs? or city lights?

city lights are not illegal in some countries. Only America has the most stupid vehicle laws. Techinically its illegal to modify anything from stock. Hasnt stopped anybody ever.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by connor55
So, they've somehow got a non-projector hid headlamp?

Never heard of that before.

And for those putting HID Pnps in their stock housings: it looks like shit, and you're blinding oncoming drivers near and far away from you.
I don't care how good you think your "cutoff" is. I see idiots driving around with these everyday... They probably think they look "badass". Sigh.
You've never heard of them, because you assume the projector is something special.

A projector is nothing more then an enclosed reflector housing with an even smaller lens.

Your assumptions on HID, don't take into account the only real difference is where the shield to make the cutoff is. On Bi-Xenon PnP setups, you see the shield. On OE projectors, that shield is hidden inside the projector body.

And the glare you're bitching about... Is not from setups with remotely decent cutoffs. Its from the assholes that use single beam bulbs in a dual beam housing or the ridiculous hi-lo setups with two bulbs. Neither of which include the shield even make the cutoff.

I'm fairly certain, your opinion would change (if only slightly) if you actually came across a PnP setup that the driver actually bothered with the shield and getting a decent cutoff.

I can tell when a setup doesn't have the shield in an H4 housing. The glass/plastic/polycarbonate will have a dark area if they're using a shield (you can notice this with stock h4 halogen bulbs in low beam mode).

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 PM
+1 on shields. Biggest reason to avoid $50 and cheaper "HID" kits. Spend the 80-100 on a decent kit and enjoy brighter headlights without making other drivers bleed out their eye sockets

Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
You've never heard of them, because you assume the projector is something special.

A projector is nothing more then an enclosed reflector housing with an even smaller lens.

Your assumptions on HID, don't take into account the only real difference is where the shield to make the cutoff is. On Bi-Xenon PnP setups, you see the shield. On OE projectors, that shield is hidden inside the projector body.

And the glare you're bitching about... Is not from setups with remotely decent cutoffs. Its from the assholes that use single beam bulbs in a dual beam housing or the ridiculous hi-lo setups with two bulbs. Neither of which include the shield even make the cutoff.

I'm fairly certain, your opinion would change (if only slightly) if you actually came across a PnP setup that the driver actually bothered with the shield and getting a decent cutoff.

I can tell when a setup doesn't have the shield in an H4 housing. The glass/plastic/polycarbonate will have a dark area if they're using a shield (you can notice this with stock h4 halogen bulbs in low beam mode).

I know what a projector is, thanks for your explanation and your assumption about my assumptions.

Most "bi-xenon" PNP setups that you see these pnp people use are the Chinese ones with the halogens + hid bulbs. I think it's obvious I'm talking about the setups that don't have the shield, which is what every person here uses. I know this because they always glare into my eyes as I drive by, even during the day. Sure you might get that one guy out of 100 that actually has shields.

As far as oem non-projector hid headlightsgo, I've never heard of them so go ahead and shit on me for not knowing about them. I'm just glad I learned they exist.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Goobers
That "JDM" housing has what appears to be TWO openings (2nd is below where one normally puts the bulb in). To me, that implies that the second opening is for the shield.

And that, could be the complex part as there would be an attached module controlling it.
been staring at photos on yahoo auctions japan for a long time and ive never noticed that. all make sense now! now if i can find a picture of their socket and autoleveller

Quick Reply: Please help!