2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Driver side door armrest cracked

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Driver side door armrest cracked

I heard this has happened to others when some weight is applied downward onto the armrest. Good thing that the upholstery covers the crack and it is not noticeable. But is there any way to fix this crack?

Old 05-13-2013, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
I did this to my Acura Integra. I off the door inner panel and used a plastic epoxy. ITW Performance Polymers/Off white 15 min. plastic welding system (47809) | Epoxy Compound | AutoZone.com_

Only thing is that my crack was up at where the door inner panel hangs over the door.... I didn't put a lot of pressure up there afterwards. Worked for years...

Alternately I would get a new door inner panel from the junk yard and make a pad that you can rest your elbow on and minimalize the impact.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I did this to my Integra as well, and I simply used a thin metal plate and a piece of a mouse pad adhered to the top of it and glued it on top of the crack. Didn't look seamless at all, but at least it was the same color as the vinyl armrest.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
I heard this has happened to others when some weight is applied downward onto the armrest. Good thing that the upholstery covers the crack and it is not noticeable. But is there any way to fix this crack?
Mine did the exact same thing not even 3 months after purchasing (2010 model)... I never fixed it. It's irritating when I get in and can feel it giving, almost crunching under my hand/arm.

If you search some older posts you'll see we aren't the only ones who have experienced this. Lots of people have had this problem... my dealer friend told me he's had a ridiculous amount of GE customers with the issue. Bad design for such cheap material.

Whatever you do, contact Honda and tell them you are yet another victim and want them to do something about it. I will do the same thing. My dealer friend said everyone should report to Honda... he just found out they've been replacing the panels free of charge in some areas.

Even if you don't try to get a replacement, report it to Honda anyway... they need to do something about this cheaply designed armrest issue. Tell them you can point them to many other armrest breaks if they need proof. (they obviously know about it)

Let me know what results you got... I will do the same.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 AM
Banned
Big thread on this in the interior section. Depending on your mileage it MAY be a warranty repair.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Banned
Zetaproducts.com makes a polyurethane foam pad that perfectly fits the left and right door armrest surfaces. I worked with Zeta to develop the pads and they fit perfectly. I have covered mine with black neoprene fabric, and have waited to install them until I could find a reliable adhesive to hold them permanently to the door panels.

Today I ordered some "Sticky Ass Glue" from Amazon. Will install the pads and post photos when the job is done. The pads will bridge the crack in the door panel armrest, and prevent future pressure from enlarging the crack. They also add a huge amount of comfort.

http://imageshack.us/a/img40/4485/1000262edited.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img577/2228/1000237i.jpg

CrystalFive- BTW, I still have your "Fit Blowfish" decal in Orange on the back window of my '09 BBP Sport. Still looks new- you and your graphics vendor did a great job!

Last edited by Triskelion; 05-16-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
i got mine replaced under warranty as both the driver side and pass side broke on me