2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window Tinting - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Window Tinting - Yay or Nay?

I'm having a really hard time deciding what to do. I'm picking up my new Fit on Saturday.

Dealer is quoting $350 to tint, which seems rather high. I'm concerned about getting it done somewhere else though, since I've heard the horror stories about bad tint jobs, shady folks who won't stand behind their work or honor the warranty, etc.

I live in Texas and I think it's probably a must, and also like the fact that it will help to keep the car a bit cooler in the summer and also make my stuff a little harder to see for the prying eyes in the parking lots.

Just worried that I'm paying too much, or that it will look like crap in six months if I take it anywhere besides the dealer.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
YAY

You pay for what you get with a quality tint job. With all the glass in our aquarium of a car, $270-350 is not un reasonable to me for a true professional job.

Hit up your local Fit or car community for a recommendation and price compare. Don't forget to do the front 6-7" windshield strip depending on your local legislation.

I have done my GD and the ladies GE, money WELL spent!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
YAY

You pay for what you get with a quality tint job. With all the glass in our aquarium of a car, $270-350 is not un reasonable to me for a true professional job.

Hit up your local Fit or car community for a recommendation and price compare. Don't forget to do the front 6-7" windshield strip depending on your local legislation.

I have done my GD and the ladies GE, money WELL spent!
I have no idea about local car communities--this is my first car and I have not the slightest idea what I'm doing, or who to ask except for the folks here in the forum.

I am calling around to the other Honda dealers in the area--maybe if I get a little better price from one of them I can take it to the one I got my car from and get a few bucks off or something.

Thanks for the reminder to look up local regulations, though I have to figure the folks at the dealership know the rules.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit comunity is STRONG in Texas!

Drop in here and introduce yourself to find some local FitFreaks!
Texas Community - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Dealer's can be great resources, but in general they are at the top of the price point and may or may not stretch local legislation for a tint job. They WONT do anything out here in CA, hence why we have a TON of independent places that do it cheap.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
The Fit comunity is STRONG in Texas!

Drop in here and introduce yourself to find some local FitFreaks!
Texas Community - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Dealer's can be great resources, but in general they are at the top of the price point and may or may not stretch local legislation for a tint job. They WONT do anything out here in CA, hence why we have a TON of independent places that do it cheap.
Great advice!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:06 PM
"What does Yelp say?"

Bonnie & Clyde's C B Stereo - North Dallas - Dallas, TX

Also like TPColgett said, Texas Fit subforum would be a good resource, or search the web, will likely bring you to other car forums.

$350 for tint on the Fit isn't that bad I don't think, there is a lot of glass to tint.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:09 PM
I'd do the tint but $350 is way too much. I paid $175 for mine using the better Johnson window films on all 9 windows. I wish I had gone darker though.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
My #1 reason to do it is I do a lot of night driving and everyone's freaken lifted SUV and truck with 12000k blaring laser blue HID lights bug the shit out of me.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
My #1 reason to do it is I do a lot of night driving and everyone's freaken lifted SUV and truck with 12000k blaring laser blue HID lights bug the shit out of me.

WORTH the money alone! But once you lower it, even tint wont really help with that any more

Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
So very true!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:26 PM
What someone needs to invent is a tint that has that transitions coating on it, you know those prescription glasses that automatically tint under bright light and gets lighter when it's dark outside? That would be dope.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mine was done at an aftermarket installer and paid like $200 for the rear side windows and rear glass. what i like about tint is:

1. no cargo cover needed...can't see inside expecially if i have black cloth covering my cargo.
2. no self dimming mirror needed.
3. looks cool.
4. keeps car cooler.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
oh yah, and the material the guy used was called (i think) onyx metalized tint which has a lifetime guarantee and no fading.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Check your yellow pages, brand name tint product will give a good warranty, 3M is a good one.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
5 Year Member
Window tint is a must here in Texas.

As long as you don't go darker than 25 percent for your front windows (driver and passenger front, as well as the quarter windows above the fenders) you should be fine. Rear tint can be as dark as you want and you get an "eyebrow" tint done to your windshield so long as it doesn't go below the AS-1 Line etched in your windshield.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:08 PM
All good points! Considering the crazy accessory prices I was quoted, I guess I am "saving" money by getting the tint first. I may not need the cargo cover after all. I wanted it more for incidentals, I'm not planning to leave a ton of stuff in my car when I'm out and about, and nothing overnight.

We have a real problem with car break-ins in my neighborhood--it's a pretty decent area, but surrounded by some low rent apartments and with a public transit train station nearby, it seems like we're a regular target for theft and vandalism. Wish I could park in the garage, but mother gets first dibs on that.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM
When I helped my buddy at his shop tint we were charging between $90 and 240 for everything from small trucks to fullsize 15 pax vans

For a fit, anything over $200 is WAY overcharged

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
I would try to find out what company does the tint for the dealer, and contact them direct.
I would also install a motion activated light, where I park the car. My house is in a low crime area, and It's nice to have a light, when you get out of the car.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
Don't pay the dealer to do it. I left a reply on your other thread. It will be less than half of that price you just posted.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
What someone needs to invent is a tint that has that transitions coating on it, you know those prescription glasses that automatically tint under bright light and gets lighter when it's dark outside? That would be dope.
I have that for my motorcycle helmet.

Before (and inside my garage)

Name:  DSCN1142.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  53.6 KB

Outside 1 minute later.

Name:  DSCN1143.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  72.5 KB

Quick Reply: Window Tinting - Yay or Nay?