2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Window Tinting - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
^That is AWESOME!!!

Can you share a link to where it came from?!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by TPColgett
^That is AWESOME!!!

You can find that at any hjc helmet dealer. I think its like $65~ try eBay I'm sure you'll find em.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 PM
5 Year Member
^That is AWESOME!!!

I got it from Fog City but not available for car application as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
You can find that at any hjc helmet dealer. I think its like $65~ try eBay I'm sure you'll find em.
I got it for $30-$40 at my local Honda dealership. (Don't tell my Harley friends I shop at a Honda shop from time to time!)

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Well... my helmets an Arai : / oh well lol another reason the GF's should be an HJC!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Well... my helmets an Arai : / oh well lol another reason the GF's should be an HJC!
You can put it on an Arai. It's just an insert that goes on your existing face shield. Oh, and it NEVER fogs up. Guaranteed or your money back.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
You can put it on an Arai. It's just an insert that goes on your existing face shield. Oh, and it NEVER fogs up. Guaranteed or your money back.
Oh I thought you bought the full sheild , they do make some that feature that. They do cost like $70 tho.... didn't know you can buy just the film.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Eh this would not work well after all, I learned they rely on UV light so at night the peoples bright lights would still bother me because of the limitations. Bah! Smart glass looks like a interesting concept though

Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 AM
Nay. I hate tint. Cant see anything at night. And overtime u get air bubbles.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
^ but you don't get 110 degree weather in the summer.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by pig_pit
Nay. I hate tint. Cant see anything at night. And overtime u get air bubbles.
U can't see anything cause 5 million trucks and SUV with their HiD in your face at night that's why. Seriously I can barely tell my windows are tinted looking out at night, outside can't see me but I can see everyone else just fine and dandy minus the annoying glare of course.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 AM
In the summer its over 100 degrees everyday. U may not notice it at night if you have light tint. Me personally. I dont like it. Only tint I'll ever put on is bronze tint.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
Must Tint

Tint for sure

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
I vote yay for this particular car. Fit is the first car I have ever tinted and with the all the glass it sure helps--I find I don't have to have the a/c on as much or as high in the summer. I got the legal maximum in Colorado which is around 35%. I also had an "eyebrow" added above the windshield which I did around 9" or so a bit more coverage than the "legal" here but tint laws are not really enforced much and that helps with glare since the sun visors aren't the best.

I find this tint just right and can see fine at night. I would recommend against going real dark. My friend bought a used Subaru Impreza and it came with vey dark tint- she says she gets frustrated because no one can recognize her in the car plus it is difficult to see out at night

A quality tint shop will do a nice job and you will not regret.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Thank you for the tips Susan, I appreciate it. I hadn't really considered the night driving issue. I don't think I'll be out on the road at night all that much, but it is a concern--I have practically no night driving experience at all. One of the reasons I choose the Fit is the great visibility, and I don't want to go too dark and cause any vision problems.

I also wear prescription sunglasses--is that something to worry about? I don't tend to change glasses when I go into a store, etc. and I'm often frustrated by not being able to read the little credit card displays on the swipe-it-yourself machines near the cash register. Can anyone chime in with more tips/suggestions on how tinting the windows actually changes overall visibility and visual clarity?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
I always wear Rx sunglasses in the car, with fairly heavy tint.

It depends on the product they use, but the only thing I see is a slight rainbow effect out of the side windows in direct sunlight.

Also, as a tip, if you have to back up at night with tinted windows, just roll them down to see your side mirrors more clearly

Old 04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
U can't see anything cause 5 million trucks and SUV with their HiD in your face at night that's why. Seriously I can barely tell my windows are tinted looking out at night, outside can't see me but I can see everyone else just fine and dandy minus the annoying glare of course.
You must stay in the 909

Am I wrong? lol

Old 04-11-2013, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
I wear prescription sunglasses too and they are dark- no problems seeing at all during the day. It is usually bright and sunny in Colorado.
A few times I have been driving into the evening and forgot to take them off and wondered why it is so dark LOL

Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I wear prescription sunglasses too and they are dark- no problems seeing at all during the day. It is usually bright and sunny in Colorado.
A few times I have been driving into the evening and forgot to take them off and wondered why it is so dark LOL
Thank you, that's very good to know. Bright light give me really bad headaches, so I want everything as dark as is legal. I just worry about distortion, weird polarizing effects, etc.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM
MPA
I'm getting my windows done tomorrow. Doing 30% on front toors and 20% from the rear doors back with a sun strip for the front.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
That price you were quoted is pretty high. I assume the dealer is charging you extra because they probably have to sent it out which means sending a person over to drop it off and pick it up when it's ready. I was quoted a price of $190 for all 9 windows (usually they charge by the number of windows / cuts they have to make) and $20 for the windshield strip across the top of the windshield. I found my place on yelp and I'm dropping it off in 2 weeks. I suggest if you see someone with really nice tint in your area to ask them where they had it done...or just search yelp.
For those who want darker tint but their state laws don't allow it..call your local RMV or look on their website for a medical waiver form. I printed one from the Massachusetts RMV website, got my doctor to sign it and mailed it back. Basically I told my doctor that I get really bad sunburns through my window in the summer time (which I do) and that I am concerned about cancer etc. She signed it with no questions asked. FYI the waiver in MA. is free and good for life.
I had no issues with bubbles in my tint on my last car. I think as long as you follow their instructions and dont roll the window down or wash them for the proper amount of time (something I doubt the dealer would pass on to you if they sent it out)...it should be fine.

Last edited by shawnshank; 04-22-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Window Tinting - Yay or Nay?