2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

PowerStop Z16 Evolution front pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
PowerStop Z16 Evolution front pads?

Anyone been using PowerStop Z16 Evolution pads, thinking about trying a set. Having a hard time deciding. This is for a 2009 Base Auto Fit. I'm at 42k now.

Currently I've got EBC Ultimax pads on for the past 15k, original Honda pads before these. Not very impressed with the EBC's. A bit more than average dust. They squeal when cold for the first couple of times (I can live with that). But, at times they will roar/shudder without warning during normal daily stops, then goes back to normal. Bizarre. Wondered if the caliper slides were hanging up. Still have my OEM rotors. If they're still OK, I'll de-glaze them with some 80 grit. No warping or pulsation, all stops are dead straight with no pulling, light to full effort at all speeds.

I want to go with a good ceramic set or Honda OEM pads (forget Duralast Gold/AutoZone). Hopefully less dust and eliminate this weird random roar/scrape issue. May need fresh rotors if these pads have screwed them up. How are the Centrics for a decent blank? Not looking for crossdrilled/slotted, no eye candy req'd, these are just DD steelies.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
Ive used centric blank rotors on other cars and have been happy with them. Specifically I bought the centric premium line which has some coating on the hat and edges to reduce unsightly rust, for minimal upcharge. Very good value, worth just replacing rather then paying for rotor resurfacing

Last edited by raytseng; 03-28-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
Anyone been using PowerStop Z16 Evolution pads, thinking about trying a set. Having a hard time deciding. This is for a 2009 Base Auto Fit. I'm at 42k now.

Currently I've got EBC Ultimax pads on for the past 15k, original Honda pads before these. Not very impressed with the EBC's. A bit more than average dust. They squeal when cold for the first couple of times (I can live with that). But, at times they will roar/shudder without warning during normal daily stops, then goes back to normal. Bizarre. Wondered if the caliper slides were hanging up. Still have my OEM rotors. If they're still OK, I'll de-glaze them with some 80 grit. No warping or pulsation, all stops are dead straight with no pulling, light to full effort at all speeds.

I want to go with a good ceramic set or Honda OEM pads (forget Duralast Gold/AutoZone). Hopefully less dust and eliminate this weird random roar/scrape issue. May need fresh rotors if these pads have screwed them up. How are the Centrics for a decent blank? Not looking for crossdrilled/slotted, no eye candy req'd, these are just DD steelies.

You may want to consider Hawk HPS pads for long wear, better stopping, and kinder to rotors.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
After a bunch of searches, Hawk's PC ceramics aren't made for the '09 Fit, only the HPS semi-metallic. I'm going to stick with blank rotors, x-drilled are crazy $$, just show toyz for a daily driver, not as much contact surface, and they may get cracks eventually. The Powerstop Z16 pads have dual-layer rubberized shims to keep them from squealing, instead of single piece steel shims

How about this setup, Amazon has the best deal on all of these:

Centric Premium E-coated rotors 30.95 each
PowerStop Z16 Evolution pads 37.62
Goodrich SS braided line set 128.99 = 228.51 ready to roll

Last edited by gkitf16; 03-29-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Updated information from searching
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gkitf16
After a bunch of searches, Hawk's PC ceramics aren't made for the '09 Fit, only the HPS semi-metallic. I'm going to stick with blank rotors, x-drilled are crazy $$, just show toyz for a daily driver, not as much contact surface, and they may get cracks eventually. The Powerstop Z16 pads have dual-layer rubberized shims to keep them from squealing, instead of single piece steel shims

How about this setup, Amazon has the best deal on all of these:

Centric Premium E-coated rotors 30.95 each
PowerStop Z16 Evolution pads 37.62
Goodrich SS braided line set 128.99 = 228.51 ready to roll
For more than 40 years we've been providing brakes for street and race cars. Here's our advice:
1. slotted or drilled rotors are needed for racing where pads are used HARD for extended periods but have little use in street driving and both will be hard on pads. Edges count..
2. Smooth rotors of the CORRECT metals are best for street use and will deliver better stops even on track days where 20 minutes are normally maximum time in hard use. Hawk HPS do very well in street and track day environments on most maufacturers rotors. They don't skip on rotors. Well, OK, GM might but few others.
3. Ceramic or semimetallic compositions in brake pads are not important: both have both high and low end material components. And the better in both are as good as the good in the other.
Choose rotors and pads from suippliers well known for their products, like Brembo or Hawk. If you don't know the manufacturer, be wary. Just because they use the words doesn't mean they actually have good stuff.
That applies particularly to rotors and pads.
good luck.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Choose rotors and pads from suippliers well known for their products, like Brembo or Hawk. If you don't know the manufacturer, be wary. Just because they use the words doesn't mean they actually have good stuff.
Yes, I completely agree and don't try to save $2 on rotors going with the lowest cost offering from some fly-by-night internet company wouldn't be prudent.

But I think brands cuts both ways.
Sometimes these "well known" big names also are just resting on their laurels especially for their value-oriented lines.
They contract out to the same factories in china and just tack on a premium to the price, but the actual product is no better than a cheaper version.
A company that still produces good product but whose brand is not as wellknown needs to compete for your business on price and product, not on name. They also don't spend their profits on advertising and sponsorships.

So I would clarify on to your suggestion to say "be wary" means go research it. You may find the other brand is fine too. Any one of the brands sold on tirerack is fine.

As an example, for another car I have, Brembo's specifications for blank rear rotors was not right, and would cause interfere with the brake shield and headaches for the people who bought them to modify. So for that particular car, just going with brembo based on their reputation wouldn't be the right choice.

Last edited by raytseng; 03-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.