2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

So when is the Fit going to get updated?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 04:26 PM
So when is the Fit going to get updated?

The Fit used to be at the top of the heap in the segment, but now is being rated near the bottom. Nothing wrong with it, but it has been leap-froged by almost everyone else. Dealer claim to not know, but probably because they want to sell what is on the lots. Would like a new one to replace the '10, but not going to buy a version that has been around for 5 years.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
2014 is the date of the next generation.

Honda will launch the third generation Jazz in the second quarter of 2014 with production set to expand begin by end of 2013. The new Honda Jazz will be manufactured at Honda’s new production facility in Mexico. The Mexican facility will also manufacture production version of Jazz-based Urban SUV concept, that was previewed at the Detroit auto show, along with the next-generation City sedan.

Honda President and CEO, Takanobu Ito confirmed that the Mexico plant is set to open in 2014 and will build the next-generation Fit/Jazz. “Jazz has been a great success everywhere in the world, based on the fun to drive spirit, high fuel efficiency and excellent packaging,” he said.

The top officials of the Japanese automaker said that they are expecting small Honda vehicles to drive sales in the North American region over the next four years. It is learnt that the automaker expects small cars will be key to the needs of customers and will help company to drive sales growth in North America.

Car Rankings: Affordable Small Cars

Best Affordable Small Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars

Last edited by cjecpa; 03-02-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
2014 is the date of the next generation.

Honda will launch the third generation Jazz in the second quarter of 2014 with production set to expand begin by end of 2013. The new Honda Jazz will be manufactured at Honda’s new production facility in Mexico. The Mexican facility will also manufacture production version of Jazz-based Urban SUV concept, that was previewed at the Detroit auto show, along with the next-generation City sedan.

Honda President and CEO, Takanobu Ito confirmed that the Mexico plant is set to open in 2014 and will build the next-generation Fit/Jazz. “Jazz has been a great success everywhere in the world, based on the fun to drive spirit, high fuel efficiency and excellent packaging,” he said.

The top officials of the Japanese automaker said that they are expecting small Honda vehicles to drive sales in the North American region over the next four years. It is learnt that the automaker expects small cars will be key to the needs of customers and will help company to drive sales growth in North America.

Car Rankings: Affordable Small Cars

Best Affordable Small Cars Rankings | U.S. News Best Cars
Good. But I saw a review yesterday, in one of the major auto mags, can't recall which, and the Fit was 8th out of 8. They liked it, but said it was getting stale, and not keeping up.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
That usually depends on the magazine Car and Driver had the Fit first and Motor Trend with almost the same cars had the Fit fourth.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM
That usually depends on the magazine Car and Driver had the Fit first and Motor Trend with almost the same cars had the Fit fourth.
True. I think most would agree that it is in need of an update. MPG, electronics and styling.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
If you already drive a Fit, who cares about what the reviews say about the car, as long as you like it. In either case if you got the car, unless youre shopping for one i dont think anyone should worry much about the reviews other then what you think of it. I love my fit no matter what the review say, its the coolest subcompact car out there. In a market full of gay looking mini subcompact car segment this car is by far the coolest one. To be honest, its the only small car i wouldnt be embarassed to be seen in. I would cover my face if i drove a Sonic, Scion iQ or some other small car.

Last edited by Mini_Odyssey; 03-02-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, 6 years of a generation in production is a long time in the auto industry.

Last edited by cjecpa; 03-02-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes, 6 years of a generation in production is a long time in the auto industry.
Try 9yrs for the Nissan Titan and Nissan Armada 2004-2013 still looking the same.

Toyota Tacoma, very little changes for 2005-2013

Old 03-02-2013, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
The OG Fit lasted from 01-08.

The thing that comparison test fail to consider is ownership, the Fit is the cheapest car to own out there. From buying the car until 100k+ miles, outside of gas/tires, the thing is basically free. Its just so dang simple.

As for styling, the only thing that can happen is the car getting uglier, but I hate the direction all Japanese manufacturers are going in, Honda hasn't impressed me with anything since 2006.

Fuel economy, the Fit still gets 40+ mpg, the Accent/Kias/Spark/Fiesta may be rated for higher MPG, but generally struggle to achieve their inflated numbers.

Electronics, like what? You can get MPG/iPod connectivity/GPS/etc.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
If you already drive a Fit, who cares about what the reviews say about the car, as long as you like it. In either case if you got the car, unless youre shopping for one i dont think anyone should worry much about the reviews other then what you think of it. I love my fit no matter what the review say, its the coolest subcompact car out there. In a market full of gay looking mini subcompact car segment this car is by far the coolest one. To be honest, its the only small car i wouldnt be embarassed to be seen in. I would cover my face if i drove a Sonic, Scion iQ or some other small car.
I don't think you got my point. It is a good car, but is in need of keeping up with the competition that it once dominated.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The OG Fit lasted from 01-08.

The thing that comparison test fail to consider is ownership, the Fit is the cheapest car to own out there. From buying the car until 100k+ miles, outside of gas/tires, the thing is basically free. Its just so dang simple.

As for styling, the only thing that can happen is the car getting uglier, but I hate the direction all Japanese manufacturers are going in, Honda hasn't impressed me with anything since 2006.

Fuel economy, the Fit still gets 40+ mpg, the Accent/Kias/Spark/Fiesta may be rated for higher MPG, but generally struggle to achieve their inflated numbers.

Electronics, like what? You can get MPG/iPod connectivity/GPS/etc.
You only get all that if you buy Navi. Honda can't rest on it's laurels. Needs to forge ahead. Doing nicely with the new Civic and CR-V. Time to work on the Fit.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like it's gonna sneeze

Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by wetphoto
Good. But I saw a review yesterday, in one of the major auto mags, can't recall which, and the Fit was 8th out of 8. They liked it, but said it was getting stale, and not keeping up.
On the flip side the new Consumer Reports auto issue has the Fit as best in its segment (Subcompact Hatches) and its score still puts it above all the other subcompact sedans. Obviously reviews are somewhat subjective, but I often think that docking a car because it's the same one you drove the previous few years is odd given how long most people keep their cars. If a car was awful previously then I can see the lack of updates being an issue, but that doesn't describe the Fit.

All that said, it is probably time for an update. The base radio features need an update, engine and transmission tech is getting fancier, I guess styling though I haven't found the styling that bad, but then again I like Hawaiian shirts. Either way, sometime this year, depending on the mexico plant.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Most Hondas typically run on a 5 year cycle between Full Model Changesa; 3 years, then a mid model change, then 2 more years until the full model change.

the next revision of the FIT should take a decent jump ahead of the current generation and I can picture bluetooth being part of this upgrade. A little more sound deadening and a few mpg increase.

The fact that the fit is still at the top of the pack even after 5 years says either a lot for Honda, or very little for everyone else. Some reviewers will shoot it down as being "long in the tooth" but... well... you can say that about any car in it's 5th year of production, it's like a "gimme" phrase for auto journalists who can't really come up with anything bad to say.

We'll see what honda brings next.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Fact is, auto journalists are always favorably disposed to the "new" for the simple reason that it gives them something to write about. It makes their job easy. It doesn't mean the car you drive is any worse, only that the moto journalists can't think of anything new to say about it, so they pan it.

Given Honda's current styling direction, I cringe to think about what the next generation Fit will look like. Personally, I still think the original Fit was the best looking. The second generation wasn't bad, but it's the last new design out of Honda that I can stand the looks of.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wetphoto
You only get all that if you buy Navi. Honda can't rest on it's laurels. Needs to forge ahead. Doing nicely with the new Civic and CR-V. Time to work on the Fit.
The new Civic is the worst thing Honda has done in the last 3 decades.

That car is awful in every way.

At least the Crosstour was bad within a niche that didn't exist, the Civic is supposed to satisfy a HUGE market but is awful.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM
The new Civic is the worst thing Honda has done in the last 3 decades.

That car is awful in every way.

At least the Crosstour was bad within a niche that didn't exist, the Civic is supposed to satisfy a HUGE market but is awful.
A lot of people like the new Civic. Sales of the last one were dismal. That's why Honda changed it so quickly.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
What?

The 06-11 was a huge success.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:49 PM
What?

The 06-11 was a huge success.
The 2012 civic got an update for 2013 because it was so awful. I suspect that's what is meant by previous version, the 2012 one.

Quick Reply: So when is the Fit going to get updated?