2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A to B!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
A to B!

Just did two round trips to a remote facility for work. Two hours out, two hours back each day. And at least the first leg, I had a Google-predicted 2 hrs and 6 minutes to get to a meeting that started in 2 hrs and 4 minutes. That's 2 minutes short for those keeping score. Eek.

Those Gmaps times have been getting optimistic, too; they don't assume you stay within the speed limit. SO I ended up giving the car a test against the classic thought experiment: How does a car perform when you simply need to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible? (Within the constraints of driving on public roads).

Now, many other cars would be more excellent. But the Fit did really well. Somehow, it gives you the confidence to drive it hard even though it's twitchy and underpowered. I made it with 10 minutes to spare, including far too many single-lane-passings where the center line went dotted and it was legal. And I got 33mpg. How many cars can you cane for 2 hours in the winter, and return the EPA highway MPG?

The Fit fell down where you would expect. Comfort was an issue; a big one, and from a new car that's troublesome. Noise. Scary twitchiness anywhere past 65mph. Lack of power. Trouble going up hills. Stressful. None of these things are good from an A to B car. But from the cheapest model in the lineup, an admirable performance.

I can certainly think of better cars for this purpose. The key attributes are confidence, stability and comfort at speed; power; and ideally 4WD if offroading is going be part of the equation. The Fit doesn't really have these. So within the Honda stable, I'd pick a new Accord; from other inexpensive manufacturers, a WRX; and if money is no object, an Audi R8, M-B E630 AMG wagon, or Range Rover. But those are theoretical picks; I have a Fit and that's what I have.

Hope that helps

Old 02-26-2013, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Been a few long trips with my Fit coming up on a 24 hour drive to Dallas. I addressed some of the issues above first with lowering springs to stiffen up the car. This year Progress RSB and Clazzio seat covers (may add a little foam). Initially I felt the same at over 65mph but after installing the springs I have reached as high as 93mph on Route 20 in Georgia with no problems. As far as the noise I play my radio loud only occasional the engine can be heard.

It is hard to get comfortable in any small car had a old 323 on long trips would feel tired upon arrival. Once took my wife's Grand Marque on a four hour round trip was the most comfortable ride got out the car was not exhausted. They do not make seats like they use too.

Last edited by cjecpa; 02-26-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:24 PM
I did an 18 hour trip from FL to ME. I had a good drive.

I went from a Honda Element to the fit, so going from a really uncomfortable seat (element) to a comfortable one. To me the Honda fit seats are really comfortable. I know the seats are a huge issue with alot of people on the forum. I cant complain.

Noise did stink I wish the fit was more quiet, but I had music to channel that out.

Stayed about 70 mph almost the whole way through. (Excluding NY area.) I got a good 35+ MPG. Filled up about 3-4 times one way.

I wish the honda fit had more power! Honda is so cruel and keeps the AWD/Hybrid/Si models outside of the US.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
I found just the Progess RSB made my Fit Base '12 feel pretty solid up to about 75, which is really about the fastest I ever go.

Like Texas, my state also has some 80 MPH zones. But I rarely go beyond 75 for fuel economy reasons.

Not to hijack the thread, but do the stiffer/shorter springs make the car drag curbs? I hate to lose the ground clearance (especially during snowy weather), but I would love a more stable ride.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:55 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see how people can find the GE's to be uncomfortable, unstable, noisy, stressful or even that slow going up hills. Unless you're like 19 and have never driven a car that cost less than $30,000 brand new (and is less than 5 years old), it doesn't make any sense.

Seems like you GE guys just like to nitpick your cars to death.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
That's because the cars are nearly perfect. Gotta find SOMETHING wrong. lol

Personally, I'm furious my grand piano wouldn't even fit inside. What is Honda thinking??? lol

Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
^I know that feel.

Thank god it fits my Llama though.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how people can find the GE's to be uncomfortable, unstable, noisy, stressful or even that slow going up hills. Unless you're like 19 and have never driven a car that cost less than $30,000 brand new.
I'm 23 and the seats in my Fit are intolerable after a few hours. Doesn't matter if I sit bolt upright, lean back a little, sit closer or farther away, still painful in the lower back.

And for hills, you ought to see some of the hills I've had to deal with in the Fit in B'ham. 50 miles an hour, in 3rd, losing speed at nearly WOT,

Complaints aside, I love my car. It's got just enough quirkiness to keep me entertained, reasonably economical, and tiny. I love that about my car, its small, easy to fling around an overpass and put a big grin on my face. That said, once out of school the first thing I'm doing is replacing the front seats with something more supportive, and adding a progress RSB.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Red 05
I'm 23 and the seats in my Fit are intolerable after a few hours. Doesn't matter if I sit bolt upright, lean back a little, sit closer or farther away, still painful in the lower back.

And for hills, you ought to see some of the hills I've had to deal with in the Fit in B'ham. 50 miles an hour, in 3rd, losing speed at nearly WOT,

Complaints aside, I love my car. It's got just enough quirkiness to keep me entertained, reasonably economical, and tiny. I love that about my car, its small, easy to fling around an overpass and put a big grin on my face. That said, once out of school the first thing I'm doing is replacing the front seats with something more supportive, and adding a progress RSB.
Rocky Mountains (13k+ ft) > Hills in Alabama.

Like I said, y'all are trying to find flaws.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Red 05
I think it's the hill that's the problem, not the car. I can take some ridiculous hills here is SF in 3rd at 1/2 throttle so if the hill is steeper than these hills i'm experiencing don't blame it on the car, blame it on the retard that decided that was a good way to build a road.

IDK wtf kind of roads you people are driving on that are complaining about pulling hills, i've never had a problem on hills and pass cars uphill with larger motors all the time while they're struggling to crest it and their tranny is hunting for gears 50 mph at full throttle in 3rd? Is that with 1000lbs of extra weight or pulling a trailer or something? Or is road design really that bad in the south?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's that they don't like to downshift. Not sure. I find the Fit's auto well behaved in the north GA hills (not really mountains). Power is adequate for passing, but I choose when more carefully than in a car with a higher power:weight ratio.

I'm 55. If I were on the interstate daily cruising between cities I'd get a bigger car. For the occasional trip the Fit's fine. Seats are hard. It's noisy. Better tires help a lot for ride comfort.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I enjoy the Fit seats for 1-2 hours. After that, they get uncomfortable real fast. For longer trips, the Accord is more comfortable, spacious, quieter, etc, so its not as bad. For really long trips, the rented minivan is not too bad.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how people can find the GE's to be uncomfortable, unstable, noisy, stressful or even that slow going up hills. Unless you're like 19 and have never driven a car that cost less than $30,000 brand new (and is less than 5 years old), it doesn't make any sense.

I agree with you. I've owned a gd and ge. If you think your ge is stiff, drive a gd. It's a buck board and has awful seats and a thin steering wheel and no arm rest and no dead pedal. I drive to San Fran and back in our Milano red gd. I have permanent brain damage now. Lol.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
I disagree entirely with that as well.

The GD is still a comfy car, the seats are bad but the ride is entirely fine.

You're all just car hypochondriacs.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Just got a set of Clazzio seat covers may put a little more foam padding in when I installed them for a little more support. But overall can not complain if the car was so bad that I was not willing to drive it long distances I would not own it.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
Just did two round trips to a remote facility for work. Two hours out, two hours back each day. And at least the first leg, I had a Google-predicted 2 hrs and 6 minutes to get to a meeting that started in 2 hrs and 4 minutes. That's 2 minutes short for those keeping score. Eek.
Where was your meeting? I am in Westfield, MA ... a 1 1/2 hrs west of Boston.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Actually in Keene NH ... most of the trip is up RT 2 and then a bunch of state highways. Actually a nice drive; just a long commute

Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member

Like I said, y'all are trying to find flaws.
My car is dirty.