2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Locking Gas Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Smile Locking Gas Door

Hi all. I just bought a 2010 Fit Sport and I'm really enjoying it. I've perused many threads on this forum and I've found many great ideas that I've applied to my car. One thing I can't find anything on is a locking gas door. The door itself appears to have a tab that could be locked with either a cable-actuated lever or an electric pin that could be activated by the door unlock switch. Anybody ever see anything about this, or know why it couldn't be done? I'm sure it was a cost-cutting measure by Honda to not include it, at least in the U.S. version. I can't find any information to see if it was included on other versions, such as the Japanese or European ones. I hope amongst all of you out there somebody knows about this. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Good info here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...k-release.html

Doesn't look like it went anywhere, but apparantly overseas they do have locks on the gas lid that lock when the car locks.

Good luck.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:26 AM
I have a Jazz 2011 and yes, it does lock the gas lid when I lock the car - and unlocks it when I unlock the car (with or without the remote).

Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
I bought a locking gas cap for my '09 Fit. Locks on a separate key, takes 5 seconds longer to get it off, extra peace of mind is worth it. Even if at max they'll get just 10.6 gallons (give or take...)

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alecsus27
I have a Jazz 2011 and yes, it does lock the gas lid when I lock the car - and unlocks it when I unlock the car (with or without the remote).
That's good to know. I've got a PDF version of the factory service manual for my car, but it doesn't show anything for it. I must have a U.S. edition. I'd sure love to get that part number somewhere. I'll check around the 'net. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tampabikeracer
That's good to know. I've got a PDF version of the factory service manual for my car, but it doesn't show anything for it. I must have a U.S. edition. I'd sure love to get that part number somewhere. I'll check around the 'net. Thanks for your reply.
If you find the part number and a source to buy it from, please post the info. I also use the locking gas cap on my '09, but would rather have a locking filler door (even though a screwdriver can pry it open). The objective is to make it "not easy" for gas thieves, because you can't make it impossible.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
haha, yea, cause they really want to go through the hassle to get your 9gallons of fuel.
The small gas tank by itself is sufficient deterrent.

Plus, the way most fuel thieves go about it now is to puncture the gas tank from the bottom to be more discrete as siphoning tends to get caught on anti-siphon devices.
Yes there is no honor among thieves and they will cause hundreds of dollars of damage to get $50 of fuel

Old 01-18-2013, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
If you find the part number and a source to buy it from, please post the info. I also use the locking gas cap on my '09, but would rather have a locking filler door (even though a screwdriver can pry it open). The objective is to make it "not easy" for gas thieves, because you can't make it impossible.
If and when I find out anything I'll post it up and do a DIY write up on it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by raytseng
haha, yea, cause they really want to go through the hassle to get your 9gallons of fuel.
The small gas tank by itself is sufficient deterrent.

Plus, the way most fuel thieves go about it now is to puncture the gas tank from the bottom to be more discrete as siphoning tends to get caught on anti-siphon devices.
Yes there is no honor among thieves and they will cause hundreds of dollars of damage to get $50 of fuel
I don't think most thieves are smart enough to know my Fit has a small gas tank. I just want to make it easier to deter them, and get them to move on to some other car.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
...Plus, the way most fuel thieves go about it now is to puncture the gas tank from the bottom to be more discrete as siphoning tends to get caught on anti-siphon devices...
So we are in luck then as the stupid thief hopefully can't find our gas tank as wont know to look under the driver's seat! haha

_

Old 01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
I don't think most thieves are smart enough to know my Fit has a small gas tank. I just want to make it easier to deter them, and get them to move on to some other car.
Most thiefs would probably think we do have locking lids because there isn't a recessed finger indentation normally found like on the GD, the first time filling up I sat there looking for a cable to release the lid for 3 mins before figuring out it just pushes in.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
If and when I find out anything I'll post it up and do a DIY write up on it.
Originally Posted by Triskelion
I found some part numbers. There's a British forum called ClubJazz.org that I posted on asking about the lock. A fellow posted up a link to lingshondaparts.com, where I found the parts and part numbers. If I order from them, it'll cost a little over $200 to get to me here in Fort Worth. I'm going to check with my local Honda dealer on Monday to see if they can special order them, and if they'd be cheaper. The parts as follows:

74700-TFO-003 Actuator Assembly (not sure if it's TF "OH" or "ZERO"
74470-SAA-003 Packing, Fuel Lid Lock (not sure what this is)
74490_TFO-000 Grommet, Fuel Filler Adapter (again, not sure what this is)

The actuator assembly is $168.19
The packing is $10.54
The grommet is $13.62
Shipping from Lings Honda Parts is around $20.00

Hope this helps anyone thinking about this. I'll post again when I find out what my local Honda dealer can do on this.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Just get a yellow sticker for the gas door that says PROPANE ONLY! Problem solved.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Banned
I found some part numbers. There's a British forum called ClubJazz.org that I posted on asking about the lock. A fellow posted up a link to lingshondaparts.com, where I found the parts and part numbers. If I order from them, it'll cost a little over $200 to get to me here in Fort Worth. I'm going to check with my local Honda dealer on Monday to see if they can special order them, and if they'd be cheaper. The parts as follows:

74700-TFO-003 Actuator Assembly (not sure if it's TF "OH" or "ZERO"
74470-SAA-003 Packing, Fuel Lid Lock (not sure what this is)
74490_TFO-000 Grommet, Fuel Filler Adapter (again, not sure what this is)

The actuator assembly is $168.19
The packing is $10.54
The grommet is $13.62
Shipping from Lings Honda Parts is around $20.00

Hope this helps anyone thinking about this. I'll post again when I find out what my local Honda dealer can do on this.
Thanks a lot for the info., but the expense is not worth it for me. Years ago my wife drove a 90's vintage Dodge Caravan with a floor lever/cable activated mechanical fuel door lock. We found it pried open in a parking lot one day. I straightened the door and it continued to work, though obviously not a problem for thieves or vandals.

So, the meaning of that is, if your lock for the door is really successful, your fuel may not be siphoned out, but you will still need to have the quarter panel repainted along with the new door to replace the bent one.

I like hogwylde's suggestion- and even though a locking gas cap is not 100% foolproof, it would take longer and be more obvious to passersby as the thief works to have the pleasure of sucking on a hose. The peace of mind of the locking cap more than justifies the low price, and keeps me from using an ugly sticker.

I'm still interested in what your dealer tells you.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM
I think overall our cars are a hassle in itself, i mean what idiot would try to steal gas from a subcompact car? If i were a thief id be going for the big trucks and SUV's. They are easier targets because they dont have locking lids and they tend to be higher off the ground making it easier to puncture tank and steal 20-30 gallons of fuel.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
I was concerned at first when I found out the Fit didn't have a locking gas cap but I never in my life have had gas siphoned from any vehicle so I figured it was no big deal. And its been pointed out that the Fit cover design is such that it looks like its a locking type of door/cover.

But there is a cheap home mod for those that would feel safer with a locked gas cap.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure if such a thing is even made any more, but I had a 1976 Grand Prix that had a magnetic locking gas cap. It was effective and even baffled gas station attendants. It locked automatically when you screwed the cap in but in order to open it, you had a magnetic fob similar to those used to enter apartment buildings and it pulled the locking mechanism up unlocking it.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by GTRPLYR
I was concerned at first when I found out the Fit didn't have a locking gas cap but I never in my life have had gas siphoned from any vehicle so I figured it was no big deal. And its been pointed out that the Fit cover design is such that it looks like its a locking type of door/cover.

But there is a cheap home mod for those that would feel safer with a locked gas cap.

Hah! That looks like the door locks on "Mr. Bean's" old-style Mini on the BBC comedy series.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I like all the responses of you guys on this. Unless I can get the parts from my local dealer and very cheap (not likely), I'm not gonna do this. It would take 8 total drains of my tank to be equal on cost, and I don't think I've ever had a tank of gas stolen. The smooth finish of the gas door does make it looks like it locks, anyway. I think I'll just go with a locking gas cap. I like the idea of keeping the local riff-raff from sugaring my gas, were they so inclined.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Banned
I like all the responses of you guys on this. Unless I can get the parts from my local dealer and very cheap (not likely), I'm not gonna do this. It would take 8 total drains of my tank to be equal on cost, and I don't think I've ever had a tank of gas stolen. The smooth finish of the gas door does make it looks like it locks, anyway. I think I'll just go with a locking gas cap. I like the idea of keeping the local riff-raff from sugaring my gas, were they so inclined.
Yep, with our shrimpy tanks, vandals are a bigger risk than thieves.

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Door