2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

buying a 2013 fit sport thursday but confused about CA registration fees

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
buying a 2013 fit sport thursday but confused about CA registration fees

Im going to be buying a fit sport 2013 on thursday. but I was curious about the cost to register it at the dmv. This is my first car from a dealer and got a bit confused using the calculator on the ca dmv website. It says with use tax grand total of fees was close to 2000$. Now do I have to pay 2000$ after I buy the car at thr dmv to be able to have it registered for the year? How much is renewel price for those of u with the 2012?

Im buying the car with putting 3000 down and paying monthly. If I pay the use at dmv is that in payments too or 2000 $ right out my pocket?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
You shouldn't have to do ANYTHING. Tax, title and registration is all added into the purchasing price of the vehicle that you are financing. The only thing you'll need to do is go to the dealership, take pictures of your new car, and drive off into the sunset.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
O ok thanks had me nervous for a min looking at the calculator

Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
$2000 licensing fee, that's Amazing! My total title & registration fees were $297.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrnoyb
$2000 licensing fee, that's Amazing! My total title & registration fees were $297.
The total is Mainly a 1-time sales tax, not licensing.

Use the calculator and look only at the line for Registration fees to see what you will pay next year. It only changes a couple dollars/year.

As the other poster said, dealer will handle everything for you and you do not need to go to the dmv.

OP: if you have questions call and talk with your sales rep to help you understand the numbers, and the total out-the-door-price and your payments. If it's a good dealer, they should be making this as painless and smooth for you as possible, including informing you of the financial details truthfully and fully as possible.

They are not out to get you with legal mumbo jumbo, and they have a duty to explain that to you in simple terms.
Of course the price and rates you agreed to is another matter, lol.

Similar to real estate, in CA, the forms and processing fees for new cars are standardized by law, so a CA dealer cannot sneak in extra BS fees that can vary as in other states. Do not worry, you cannot be screwed by varying Fees between different dealers in CA.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-09-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
As others have stated the fees you pay at the dealer include the first year of your state registration fees. They'll place the temporary registration sticker in your front windshield. And you should get your license plates (with month and year stickers) in the mail in about 30 days.

I believe the yearly fee is a percentage of the "value" of your car. So in general newer cars and more expensive cars cost more to register and decrease over time.

I just renewed my 09 Fit Sport and paid about $183, I'm also in California.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah don't need to worry about any of that, the dealer takes care of the new car paperwork and it's included in your total out the door cost. All I had to do was pay my downpayment, paperwork, drove off in my new car 2013 sport. what color are you getting? in a couple weeks you'll get your new plate, and if you want to order a personalized one you can do so in the meantime while you wait for your original plates !

Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for all the answers. it was 3 am when i was looking into it so couldnt get ahold of the dealer so wanted to know right away.

this is the numbers i got using the calculator on the dmv site for new cars. I put 20,000 just to be safe
Current Registration: 43.00
Current California Highway Patrol: 23.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: 131.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
Current Smog High Polluter Repair Fee: 6.00
Original Smog Abatement: 6.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Smog Fee: 8.00
Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
Current South Coast Air Basin: 1.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 3.00
Use/Sales Tax: 1,750.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00 Total Registration Fees: $231.00
Total Use/Sales Tax: $1,750.00
Grand Total Registration Fees: $1,981.00

So that grand total was throwing me off. i had a feeling it was part of the car when you get it from the dealer not an extra i have to pay as well after i leave the deal. i just wanted to make sure so thank you for the quick responses.

I cant wait to finally have a fit sport

Last edited by FunkTechNician; 01-09-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
just as a clarification, you DO have to pay it, and these taxes and fees are not included in the price quotes and negotiation amounts, unless you are asking for the final out-the-door price.

It's just that the dealer will handle all of it for you, so you just need to write them 1 check.

It's the same as buying anything else in CA with taxes. Your bottle of coke is advertised as .99, but at the register you end up paying $1.15, to include salestax and redemption value fee.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
cool i get it makes sense. i thought after i left the dealer paying all the fees i would have to pay another 2000 out my pocket at the dmv to get it registered.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by FunkTechNician
thanks for all the answers. it was 3 am when i was looking into it so couldnt get ahold of the dealer so wanted to know right away.

this is the numbers i got using the calculator on the dmv site for new cars. I put 20,000 just to be safe
Current Registration: 43.00
Current California Highway Patrol: 23.00
Current Vehicle License Fee: 131.00
Current County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee: 1.00
Current Fingerprint ID Fee: 1.00
Current Smog High Polluter Repair Fee: 6.00
Original Smog Abatement: 6.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Smog Fee: 8.00
Current Auto Theft and/or DUI Crime Deterrence Program: 1.00
Current Air Quality Management District: 6.00
Current South Coast Air Basin: 1.00
Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee: 3.00
Use/Sales Tax: 1,750.00
Reflectorized License Plate Fee: 1.00 Total Registration Fees: $231.00
Total Use/Sales Tax: $1,750.00
Grand Total Registration Fees: $1,981.00

So that grand total was throwing me off. i had a feeling it was part of the car when you get it from the dealer not an extra i have to pay as well after i leave the deal. i just wanted to make sure so thank you for the quick responses.

I cant wait to finally have a fit sport
Huh! I paid cash and didn't bother to add up the nickel-and-diming from the state, and I just assumed that this would get worse as the years go by. But just for buying a new car, you have to throw $23.00 to the C.H.P.? On top of the personal and business State income taxes and property taxes that supposedly pay for law enforcement and all other government services? Weird. Good ol' broke CA.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
but why should the personal/business propety and state income taxes pay for patrol of the highways?

The highway patrols should be paid for by those that use the highways, thus car owners.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by raytseng
but why should the personal/business propety and state income taxes pay for patrol of the highways?

The highway patrols should be paid for by those that use the highways, thus car owners.
Still paid for by the state government that is funded by taxes. Why do they need to add a surcharge just for the C.H.P.? You don't know, so don't pretend that you do. Next, they will add another surcharge to a new car purchase for pothole repairs or winter road salt applications and snowplows.
Not "or" but "and".

Last edited by Triskelion; 01-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
hey man, it seems like it was you who brought up that you didn't know until now that your CA DMV registration fee included a CHP fee. One more thing, it's not just on new cars, it's every year.

So don't start throwing stones around, and put off and attitude that everyone should just agree with your line of thinking and change everything around; just because you realized today that there's something that has been on the book for decades and how society is currently functioning that you don't agree with.

Anyway, I'm done here. OP has his answer; rest belongs in another forum for politics.

Last edited by raytseng; 01-09-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by raytseng
hey man, it seems like it was you who brought up that you didn't know until now that your CA DMV registration fee included a CHP fee. One more thing, it's not just on new cars, it's every year.

So don't start throwing stones around, and put off and attitude that everyone should just agree with your line of thinking and change everything around; just because you realized today that there's something that has been on the book for decades and how society is currently functioning that you don't agree with.

Anyway, I'm done here. OP has his answer; rest belongs in another forum for politics.
Ooh, I'll bet you feel much better.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by mrnoyb

My sales tax was $1688 so the number isn't that shocking after all.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Still paid for by the state government that is funded by taxes. Why do they need to add a surcharge just for the C.H.P.? You don't know, so don't pretend that you do. Next, they will add another surcharge to a new car purchase for pothole repairs or winter road salt applications and snowplows.
Not "or" but "and".
This is getting into politics, but the basic problem CA has is that raising taxes is almost impossible (requires a 2/3 supermajority IIRC) but "fees" can be added and raised as needed. I could point fingers as it was a deliberate attempt by one side to make the state government non-functional, but regardless, stupid fees like the CHP and the like are a result of deep problems inside the legislator.

On the main subject, Arkansas, where I bought my car, did things differently. No dealers did the DMV paperwork for you; once you bought the car you had to take the title to the DMV and pay the registration, sales tax, etc. on your own. It was around $1500 all things considered.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
The dealer also tacks on a "documentation" fee, which is at least regulated by the DMV as to how much, I think it is about $50 in addition to what is remitted to the State.

In the Arkansas example, you would have saved that fee. Ive heard that in Nevada, dealers can charge whatever they want, and often add $400 or so as a paperwork fee on top of official taxes and fees.

An oddity in how California calculates sales/use tax on vehicles is that it is not the tax rate where the dealer is located, but the address where the car is to be registered. Example, I bought the Fit in Gardena (Los Angeles County), which has a higher sales tax rate than San Bernardino County, where I reside. I paid the SBC tax rate. This was put in place originally so that dealers right across the line wouldn't "poach" sales from higher tax areas.

Last edited by nikita; 01-10-2013 at 01:16 PM.