2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Should I buy this reconstructed 2010 Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitNFoxxy
Is it really that bad? I feel silly for even considering it now
Don't feel bad! Be glad that you came to us first

I was about to jump in here and wax poetic about how salvage titles can work out just fine....

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Run far away from that mess.

O_O

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Not touching that car with a 10ft pole. Would be too worried about tweaked unibody.
+...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Is it really that bad? I feel silly for even considering it now
Not really. Not all salvages are a bad buy. Just a matter of perspective - YOURS! Either way, new or used, you should do your homework. Some new cars can turn into bad-buys. Some salvage deals can turn into real gems. More background can hopefully help you make a sound decision that suits your situation. Granted, buying new would be lesser of a crap shoot than buying a salvaged car... Just my take.

Most worries about salvage cars is Zero (0) resale value. But since it's not a concern with you then that concern is a non-issue. Being a mechanic is not a requisite. Being informed would help in your decision-making. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Have you considered a GD fit? I got mine in great shape and saved a good couple thousands on it. I got it inspected and it had a dirty cabin filter, a passenger side wiper that was getting old and coolant on the low side! I got mine with about 50k miles.

I'd look for a well maintained high mileage car rather than a rebuilt title. I'm sure you can find a great deal on a fit with 100k on it and it will be safer than a wrecked fit with 20k on the odometer. Probably will be about the same price.

I know of people that have bought salvage cars and they have told me they would never touch a car that has had an airbag deployed. One thing to consider is that the airbag deployment computer only works once and must be replaced after an airbag has been deployed. This computer module apparently costs 2000$+. If you are paying 9k for the car and you do the math, there's only 7k left for getting new parts... Just a door can cost upwards of 1000 I believe so I look at those salvage titles and I think that I'd you add up all the potential costs of repair, the seller would be selling at a loss unless he was repairing on the cheap. I wouldn't want a car that was repaired on the cheap...

Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
um, people, the car is already repaired. did you look at the after pics? it actually "looks" good,

2010 Honda Fit Sport, 35k, loaded

but as other people said, the hidden damage could be under the skin.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
u think it looks good bro that car had alot of damage Just my op i rather BUS IT

Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't even be as concerned with a front end crash that was mostly cosmetic but the angle, location and depth of that impact scares me.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I wouldn't even be as concerned with a front end crash that was mostly cosmetic but the angle, location and depth of that impact scares me.
Bingo, she'll never be as sweet again.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Oh wow i didn't even notice the passenger door was askew. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and ask my uncle to find me a Fit at the dealership he works at in VA.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
Who knows what the body looks like under the shiny new side skirt and quarter panel.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:41 AM
5 Year Member
You did your home work correctly. Getting the CoPart pictures was the correct way to go about it. I also am afraid of that particular one due to the damage around the left front door pillar. I have bought repaired cars in the past but they take some extra scrutiny.

I would not rule them out but I would spend some extra time to check them out thoroughly before buying. I bought one low mileage salvage Colorado that only had bed and rear bumper damage. It was a simple bolt on the parts repair to get it titled again. I even found a bed in a junk yard that was the same color. So I did not have to do any painting.

Keep in mind in some states a vehicle can be a salvage and then repaired vehicle due to theft or worse flooding.

State Farm and USAA have no problems insuring "repaired" vehicles.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm also looking for salvage Honda fit now. I checked many websites and auctions with salvage vehicles for sale and I can say that 10,000 dollars is too much for this car. I've seen this 2010 fit at crashescars.com some days ago and I remember that it was sold for less money although it wasn't severely damaged. So I think that if you still want to buy a car with salvage title it should at least be cheaper.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Santravis
I'm also looking for salvage Honda fit now. I checked many websites and auctions with salvage vehicles for sale and I can say that 10,000 dollars is too much for this car. I've seen this 2010 fit at crashescars.com some days ago and I remember that it was sold for less money although it wasn't severely damaged. So I think that if you still want to buy a car with salvage title it should at least be cheaper.
You're right, I did a bit more digging and I saw that he bought the car for probably around $6k, the starting bid was 4500.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you all again for your suggestions and PMs. This site is a wealth of info and I'm glad I decided to join

So I'm taking the advice of some of you and searching for higher mileage Fits with clean titles.

I stumbled across this listing a few weeks ago, but told the seller it was too up there in mileage for me. Did I make a mistake?

2008 Honda Fit Sport

Old 01-03-2013, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
I have to go with the crowd on this...
10,000 for a vehicle with that damage history seems like way too big a gamble to take.

You may want to drive it until it's worthless...but IF it has problems? You would be screwed. Going forward you could never sell it for anywhere near what you paid, so you'd be forced to either lose a lot of money or invest even more to try to keep it viable.

That's a gamble with $10,000 I wouldn't take.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Do Not Buy That Car!!!

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thank you all again for your suggestions and PMs. This site is a wealth of info and I'm glad I decided to join

So I'm taking the advice of some of you and searching for higher mileage Fits with clean titles.

I stumbled across this listing a few weeks ago, but told the seller it was too up there in mileage for me. Did I make a mistake?

2008 Honda Fit Sport
120K is high mileage, but I know GD's with well over 170K and no problems at all other than basic maintenance, coil packs and valve adjustments. How much basic mechanical work are you comfortable with? Keep that in mind with a higher mileage car...

Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
120K is high mileage, but I know GD's with well over 170K and no problems at all other than basic maintenance, coil packs and valve adjustments. How much basic mechanical work are you comfortable with? Keep that in mind with a higher mileage car...
Well I'm driving an Accord now with almost 175k and its perfectly fine. Its technically my brother's car and he treated it like crap, so its not perfect, but I'm not afraid of the usual high mileage quirks. Id much rather get something with less than 100k though

Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
Well I'm driving an Accord now with almost 175k and its perfectly fine. Its technically my brother's car and he treated it like crap, so its not perfect, but I'm not afraid of the usual high mileage quirks. Id much rather get something with less than 100k though
Totally understand! Keep an eye out and I'm pretty sure you can find a clean GD in your ideal price/mileage range!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
i wouldn't, the money you save you will loose when you come to sell it and if it hasn't been repaired 100% properly you will start getting rust and it will never be as good as a factory fresh car

my advice is to save up a bit more

i would get a new base model (which i did get) over this even if you need to get a bit of finance to get it

Quick Reply: Should I buy this reconstructed 2010 Fit?