2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

A WARNING about SNOW TRACTION on your Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
haha... he's back yet again!!!

Originally Posted by SevereService
These tires are now worn down to the bands. I had ZERO traction in the snow. Hey I know I should have replaced the tires by now, but in this economy I cant afford to simply replace a set of tires.
WOW, the stupidity never stops!

Actually, wait... DON'T REPLACE YOUR TIRES. Let Darwin's theory prove itself.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
haha... he's back yet again!!!

WOW, the stupidity never stops!

Actually, wait... DON'T REPLACE YOUR TIRES. Let Darwin's theory prove itself.
I had an epiphany...

Wear the tires down sooo far that the steel belts are coming through... Just like Studs! Severe needs to keep those tires on longer!

~SB

Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
We need to keep this thread alive.

As a warning from history to new folks to not listen to SevereService's BS

Old 01-09-2013, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
All I can figure is the dude was driving on on a frozen lake, and didn't know it, or his tires really are worn down that much, and is a dolt for thinking they would hook up. Or is 16.

Betting on the latter.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:15 PM
5 Year Member
hey guyz it got all snowy here last week and it was pretty cold in the car, i highly recommend everyone sell their fitz cause danger

Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
ALTHOUGH, my windshield washer fluid did freeze solid. That was pretty uncool. I'm going to go ahead and blame the delivery technician who probably figured out (wrongly) that I'd go through a tank between July and January, and filled the reservoir with water.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
ALTHOUGH, my windshield washer fluid did freeze solid. That was pretty uncool. I'm going to go ahead and blame the delivery technician who probably figured out (wrongly) that I'd go through a tank between July and January, and filled the reservoir with water.
I dunno if you are being serious or not but that's crazy if that happened. I've found that most "all season" windshield washer fluid does freeze on contact with my windshield in very cold weather which is very dangerous since I often use my wipers/fluid on entering a highway for max visibility.

I use the rain-x with de-icer and it works very well. If there's a little ice left on your windshield it'll get rid of that too and keep your visibility at a max in extreme weather. I've still never heard of someone's washer tank freezing though.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
In their defense, the Dunlops perform better in the snow than the Bridgestones do.
What kind of Dunlops and when kind of Bridgestones. I quit running the Bridgestone Blizzaks and went to the Nokian Hakkas. But got the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on the new Fit. Never have found a decent Dunlop yet. They came on the Fit, but are lousy in the snow. Figure I'll wear them out this coming summer.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by parmm
What kind of Dunlops and when kind of Bridgestones. I quit running the Bridgestone Blizzaks and went to the Nokian Hakkas. But got the Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on the new Fit. Never have found a decent Dunlop yet. They came on the Fit, but are lousy in the snow. Figure I'll wear them out this coming summer.
The Factory All-Seasons... Not snow tires.

I've had the dunlop direzza's and also the dunlop SP sport A2 on previous cars and they handled extremly well for summer/all season tires. In winter here in VT, i've only ever run snow tires after the first winter on the All-Seasons. It makes a Huge Difference.

In Severe's case; there's more than just problems with tires...

~SB

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
I dunno if you are being serious or not but that's crazy if that happened. I've found that most "all season" windshield washer fluid does freeze on contact with my windshield in very cold weather which is very dangerous since I often use my wipers/fluid on entering a highway for max visibility.

I use the rain-x with de-icer and it works very well. If there's a little ice left on your windshield it'll get rid of that too and keep your visibility at a max in extreme weather. I've still never heard of someone's washer tank freezing though.
I am being serious, and I mean not that it froze on the windshield but that it froze in the lines, ie nothing came out (and no, the squirters were not simply blocked). realistically the only explanation is that it was regular water instead of fluid, which should remain liquid down to -15 or something like that.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Dang fuji! That's definitely COLD. Washer fluid shouldn't freeze up solid... until "extreme conditions"...

And here I am freezing my ...nads off @ 45F... I feel your eastern chills.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
Subie, most of the washer fluid sold in CA is blue tinted water. If you check the label it freezes at +32F. This is because of limits on VOC's for smog. Alcohol apparently is considered an air pollutant in this regard, at least in the South Coast Air Basin. Granted, if you stay near sea level, it wont freeze, but it has been getting into the 30's at night down in Los Angeles. I have to look carefully to find the de-icer fluid for use up here in the mountains.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
@nikita. So true about CA washer fluid... Been black-ice cold the last few days. Been draping the windshield with a towel, with car parked outside. No ice scraper in my tool box. Thanks for the oops.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I am being serious, and I mean not that it froze on the windshield but that it froze in the lines, ie nothing came out (and no, the squirters were not simply blocked). realistically the only explanation is that it was regular water instead of fluid, which should remain liquid down to -15 or something like that.
Same here on a couple nights so far. I did not look at the hold tank to see if it was fully frozen there, but I believe the lines/nozzels were frozen. In a couple weeks I will have had my Fit for a year. I wanted to run the washer fluid dry and put in rain-x. I have not been able to run it dry, and I'm not modest when it comes to cleaning the windshield. I swear it's the biggest resoviour I have ever run into. Usually they are too SMALL and you need to keep adding. This one is immense. So, I'll have to add rain-x and hopefully the mix will keep the lines from freezing. And I have to do it now, cause a real cold snap is due in shortly.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 PM
It's icy outside and I'm sad that my car is now a lot more fun to drive. Please halp to make car boring again